The University of Texas at San Antonio

« See more reviews of The University of Texas at San Antonio

The worst thing about UTSA has got to be its websites & wireless interface (AirRowdy). We have to maintain an email, ASAP (Automated Student Access Program), Blackboard, AirRowdy, and innumerable course specific accounts. Technologically speaking, it would be relatively simple to integrate all of these services so that only a single username & password was needed for all of these, but, as the system is currently set up, most of these require a separate username and password. Also, the website itself, utsa.edu, is poorly designed and difficult to navigate, especially for anyone viewing the site for the first time.

The worst thing about UTSA is the financial aid rewarding process. I come from a very low income family and I take out more loans then I get rewarded from financial aid. I believe the school uses its funding inappropriately. For example they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars expanding the recreational center that was only two years old and the population of the school has not changed. Yet students like myself must pay over eighty percent for only tuition which does not include the fees to participate in activities in that brand new recreational center.

I don't consider anything wrong with my school because their is really nothing wrong with my school. well actually the only wrong thing about my school is that there is a lot of students that smoke a lot and they are everywhere on campus and well you partically smell cigarretes all day and that is really bad for some students, especially students that have health problems. So I will really appreciate for some students to slow down in smoking on campus. But really, smoking is the only thing that is worst about my school because everything else is good.

The communication between offices is one. I have gone to my academic advisor and asked where I could change my mailing information that the university has. She told me to go to one place that was not even close. Then I was directed from there to another place that had no idea and I was back to square one. Good thing UTSA does not physically mail anything. Also, UTSA is running out of classrooms and this fall my organization will not be able to hold events near rooms used as classrooms now in the University Center.

One of the issues that I had in attending the school is the fact that the desks and sitting arrangements are unconfortable. The desks did not provide much space for a book and notebook to place together. I believe that the classrooms should have more space, due to the fact that a person has to focus on reading and writing notes as the same time. Also, the sitting arrangements were not very helpful because it was difficult to hear and sometimes the sitting area was to far from the instructor or board.

Within the two years of my college experience at The Univerity of Texas at San Antonio I got myself a bit of a reality check, and it was not to my liking. Although I was in for a surprise when I arrived at my second year of college, I still do not consider anything horrific about my insights thus far. The only worst thing you can expect is that if you go into your semester having a poor attitude and outlook in life, your chances are slim when trying to succeed. The old saying goes, "Keep your chin up."

My friends and I have always thought UTSA as a cool campus, but could feel more like an actual college. By that, we all agree that without the univeristy having a football team, it does not quite satisfy the full college campus experience. Although UTSA will be getting a football team in 2011 and has many other sporting events to attend, the absence of a football team is needed in order to encourage school spirit in the students and have a popular event to look forward to at the university.

The worst thing about my school is the fact that they don't offer enough classes each semester. For example, I'm a Kinesiology student and there are 300+ students with this major. ALL of us have to take Anatomy and Physiology before our Junior year, otherwise we won't have the pre-requisites to move on. UTSA only offers 1-2 classes each semester that holds less than 100 students. They need to hire more faculty to fix this problem.

Maybe because this is my first semester at UTSA, but I wish they were more encouraging when it comes to academic advising. When I spoke to my advisor, she told me I don't really need to see her every semester, and that most students don't. Of course she said that if I wanted to I could, but didn't seem too keen on the idea. I like knowing that I'm on track with my classes, so I wish there was a little more encouragement there.

Considering that UTSA is a growing univeristy, the worst thing would be the lack of adequate space at the library and hours. While most students expect to have long hours in the evening the library and personnel are not available. Yes, UTSA offers online resources, however as far as studying and group project meetings, UTSA needs to reevaluate the library for the sake of the students.