Tulane University of Louisiana

« See more reviews of Tulane University of Louisiana

I can't lie about this section. I have some issues with Tulane's student body. I was the president of the Multicultural club in my high school, so I obviously embrace other cultures and personal ideologies. Tulane is almost entirely white people. Many of them are wealthy, or at least they aren't hurting for money. There are some black students, most of whom only associate with each other. There is an Eastern Asian population, but they too stick together. We have a small Indian group of students, and - you guessed it - they only hang out with each other. I have a Turkish friend who is a Freshman, and he and two other girls are the only Turkish people at Tulane. There is diversity, but whether or not that diversity exceeds paper and statistics is another question. There are lots of multicultural things to do around campus, but turnout is low (not any lower than other events, though). There doesn't seem to be any overt racism or anything, but you can tell that there are differences. Different races tend to hang out together and people from certain socio-economic backgrounds hang out together. Of course, these cliques may be a result of the different organizations people become affiliated with, as well. Fraternities and Sororities tend to have wealthier students, and the various cultural groups will of course attract that culture or race. Personally, I am active in many different groups and I do not hold myself to any sort of "clique" or group. I have some very good friends in Theater, and I always perform in the Indian Association's dance events. I attend Green Club meetings and the Vietnamese Association functions. There is no reason that anyone should feel isolated from other groups, and I don't isolate myself from them. I don't judge, and neither does anyone else. It is just personal preference, and most of the students at Tulane tend to prefer to socialize with specific groups. I don't find this much different to my high school, to tell you the truth. I don't want to paint too terrible a picture, of course. This is not the only way things work. You will undoubtedly become close with your dormmates, whoever they are. I dated an Egyptian and one of my best friends is half Vietnamese and half Chinese. There aren't any social restrictions, and no one will look down on you if you associate with people who are - dare I say - unlike you. Otherwise, Tulane students are pretty relaxed. It is more liberal than conservative, though the conservative students do have their organizations, as well. There is a place for everyone at Tulane, that is for sure.

The typical Tulane student is someone who loves to party and drink. If that's not what you're into, you probably won't fit in. That being said, there's more diversity and different types of students than most people assume. While a lot of students come from well-to-do backgrounds, there's plenty of more students who are here on academic scholarships. Different students interact with each other all the time through activities, jobs, and classes. Tulane students for the most part are friendly and outgoing, more so than at other colleges and universities. This is why they are attracted to living in New Orleans and chose to attend Tulane in the first place. A lot of people assume that Tulane kids are all rich and from Northeastern Jewish communities, thus the nickname, "Jewlane." While there are a lot of students hailing from the Northeast, there are also a lot of local students, and Louisiana, Texas, and Florida are all very well represented at this school. It's not a Southern school in the sense that Ole Miss or Vanderbilt is, but it's not completely Northern either. Tulane students as a whole are politically apathetic. They are more involved in local issues, or just wrapped up in their own lives. Overall the university is politically liberal, but there's plenty of conservative students out there. If you want to get involved in politics, you can, but if you choose not to, you will be in good company.

This being New Orleans, homosexuality and queerness of all types is accepted and enjoyed. Race relations in the city are famously good, and although the students generally come from Northeastern states, Tulane has enough diversity such that no incoming student would feel out of place just because he or she were a racial, sexual, political, or religious minority compared to the whole. Students who might feel out of place are those who are shy or unsociable, but I firmly believe that any incoming student could find a niche and call Tulane home. Despite this diversity within groups, sociability between groups is less common. Any individual can certainly be friends with anyone he or she desires, but most sporting events draw a different crowd than local concerts, as you would expect. Financially, there are many wealthy people at Tulane. This is neither here nor there, but those with latent class resentments or anyone for whom this would be a discomfort should be aware of this fact. Politically the student body is generally liberal, but there are both young Democrats and young Republicans groups for the partisan. Students in the business school might talk about how much they'll earn one day, but English majors like me are satisfied to look forward to that wonderful day when we just might be employed at any job.

I think students at Tulane are pretty diverse, but one of the things that keeps students more divided is the fact that the rich, sorority girls are also often business majors, and the LGBT students are often psych or gender and sexuality studies majors or things like that. It's not so much that there are uncrossable lines, and most people have friends in all sorts of different groups, but since we spend so much time with people in our classes the type of people tends to narrow. The general political feel of the school is usually pretty left, but being in the South there is still a fair number of right and center students. These students seem to get along fairly well as most of the focus is on awareness, and encouraging students to vote, rather than on tearing each other down. I think Tulane does a good job of creating an environment where no student feels automatically out of place. It may take some time to find the right video game club, the right sorority sisters, or that one other kid on your floor who likes heavy metal, but it can be done. That's one of the great things about the small size, whatever you're interested in, there is someone else who is too. And they aren't too hard to find if you keep looking.

Tulane's student body is very geographically diverse, with many people from the Northeast. From my point of view, everyone should be capable of making and enjoying a group of friends. There are people who can be considered main stream, hipster, or on the far end of the "alternative" spectrum. Even the "frattiest" of Tulane's population wouldn't compare to those in Greek life at a public school. Most students tend to hang out with people who are most like themselves, but there really isn't a "social hierarchy" and everyone gets along. Greek life is a great way to make friends, but it isn't a necessity. We are welcoming two new sororities to our campus next year, making it easier to be Greek if thats the direction you choose. Tulane's student body definitely represents more of the "1%" versus the "99%" but financial background isn't an alienating factor. Most students choose to dress comfortably for class, but its not unusual to dress in more fashionable clothes. Tulane students are driven, especially those in the Business or "B" school. They plan to be successful and involve themselves in activities that will help them in the future.

Most students at Tulane are well-off and white, and hail from the Northeast. There are a lot of Jewish students. I think it is somewhere near 40% Jewish. Other races are present on campus, but the divide is pretty harsh. This is not to say that someone from a different background would be uncomfortable, but they would be in a fairly small minority. Tulane is not a religiously affiliated school and I don't think I know a single person who attends services. Most students are laid back in terms of clothing. There is not much pressure to be incredibly well-dressed at all times. Political activism is pretty much non-existent, but most Tulane students are pretty left-wing and liberal, though generally apathetic and certainly not radical. If there were four hypothetical tables of students in the dining hall, one would be frat guys and sorority girls, one would be an uncomfortably racially segregated table of athletes, one would be "hipsters" and generally interesting or intellectual folk, and the last would be miscellaneous geeks. We certainly have enough geeks for there to be a healthy game of Humans vs. Zombies going down on campus!

The school is predominately white. Outside of that it consists of an even mix of Asian and African-Americans. There is a strong LGBT presence on campus, and it is widely accepted (I have friends that are LGBT, so I know about the social aspects of that part of campus life). There is a really strong Jewish presence on campus, but it's not felt unless you actively go to be part of it. Students tend to be from more well off families, but there are those that could not otherwise come to this school if it weren't for very generous scholarships. Most students are from the northeast, but there is also a large pull from FL, TX, LA, and CA. The rest of the student body is greatly varied. As far as politics are concerned, most students lean conservative, especially when considering a college campus. However, there is also a louder left voice on campus, but the numbers don't seem to be on their side. Students are very concerned with how much they'll earn one day. If they aren't, that means they have some goals in life to be more of a non-profit social change maker. That is one type that is also very common on campus.

One of Tulane’s most notable attributes is the unique nature of its student body. Students come from around the globe to attend Tulane because it is a prestigious and well-rounded university. I’ve always believed that despite the differences that exist between the students, the fact that we all chose to come to Tulane University unites us. We all possess boundless school spirit and display these feelings every day. Everyone at Tulane is extremely friendly and welcomes each other with open arms. The relatively small student body compared to other schools allows for a close-knit group of students that enjoy helping each other despite their level of friendship. As I mentioned earlier, the students here definitely know how to have fun, whether it be activities around New Orleans or concerts on the quad, but also know when to be serious and get work done. The friends I have made here at Tulane are ones I know I will maintain relationships with long after we graduate and continue to make lasting memories. Regardless of the different backgrounds and cultures of the Tulane study body, we are all bonded by our love for Tulane.

This school is very chill. It's a lot of east-coast, white, straight people but that doesn't mean there aren't alternative lifestyles, and that they aren't respected. I came from a super-liberal high-school which brainwashed me into believing that everyone had to tolerate everyone else because that was the law of compassion and sacrifice. I was then shocked when I moved to this much more moderate University and realized no, the reason you respect everyone else is because otherwise you're a jerk who no one will want to talk to. One shouldn't expect big LGBTQ rallies or black power protests because they don't exist. What one should expect is a calm, smart, respectful community which does not really care what you are, so long as you're not bothering anyone else. I like to think the best change between high-school and college is how much people care. In high-school, everyone cares about everything. In college, no one cares about anything, including what you like to do in your free time. That kind of freedom is part of the real reason college (and Tulane) are awesome.

There is diversity but not a lot of diversity. Most African American students are student athletes. There are very few others but mainly because Tulane is historically so white that not a lot of bright African American students apply. There are Asian students, Hispanic students, students from all over the United States and for Latin America and Asia. Most groups are not cliques, but there are a few. Lots of people do love to party and drink, and lots of freshmen go overboard and get into trouble with this sort of thing. After all, no one needs a fake ID in New Orleans. There is political and social activism, especially on the subject of rebuilding New Orleans. SAFER is an AmeriCorps group here building and rebuilding and repairing houses and doing everything they can for people here. However, a plurality of people are somewhat apathetic. The politics lean left. Obama is definitely the most popular candidate here, but there are people of all political persuasions: left, right, centrist, socialist, imperialist, you name it.