Tulane University of Louisiana

« See more reviews of Tulane University of Louisiana

When you step off campus what do you see?

Well... it depends what direction you're stepping off in. At the back of campus there is a large street, which if you have a car, can take you quickly downtown or to a movie theater or towards the mall. And directly across that street is the Kupcake Factory, which has some of the most delicious cupcakes I have ever eaten. There is also a small pizza place, a subway and a Mexican place (thats amazing and fast) in that direction that many students go to. On the sides of campus there are mostly neighborhoods, some of them are student neighborhoods while others are the more elegant 'uptown' neighborhoods. And the front of campus faces St. Charles Ave, which has some of the most beautiful houses in New Orleans on it. And it is directly across from Audubon Park, which, if you cross, is also right near Audubon Zoo and a street that has a lot of bakeries, boutiques and a grocery store.

I'm not gonna pull punches here, this is a dangerous school to go to. Not at all on campus, but very much so once you leave the tightly placed grid and venture around. Within the surrounding mile of campus, over ten incidents of robbery at gun-point have occurred. Tulane sends out school-wide E-Mails and at this point it's embarrassing how frequently "two armed black men with silver handguns" have terrified the local community. It's at its worst this year to the point that people not so jokingly wish you not to get mugged if you ever tell them you're going somewhere after six o' clock. It's currently the biggest problem I've seen since getting here.

Uptown is the college bar scene. You will see the Boot and the Palms, the most popular bars for students to attend on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. There are also some restaurants within walking distance of campus. Downtown is a city, you can easily get there by cab or street car. Of course, there is Bourbon street (which isn't all that it's hyped up to be). But more importantly there is an ENTIRE culture of New Orleans! Get a hand grenade, eat a po' boy, go to the levees, walk down Frenchman street, witness a parade...there are unlimited opportunities for good times

This all depends on where you step off campus. If you step off campus in front of Gibson, you will see St. Charles Street, home to a street car line, and Audubon Park, which is a good place to study or relax or take pictures. If you step of campus by Newcomb, you will see Broadway Street, home to the Greek houses and the Boot! There are completely different areas surrounding Tulane, it's just up to you to decide what you want to see!

You see neighborhoods, Audubon Park, and the street car! You have Broadway on one side of campus which has many great places to go! On the front side of campus you have historic St. Charles Avenue which has the street cars to take you into the city! It really is a beautiful city. Don't let anybody else convince you otherwise. Hurricane Katrina came but the people rebuilt their city in a masterpiece.

New Orleans is home to the oldest streetcar system in the world. Cars go from Tulane all the way to the French Quarter.

The Boot is everything a college bar should be and Crepes a la Cart always satisfies late night hunger.