Tuskegee University

« See more reviews of Tuskegee University

Parents and Students, please be advised, level of interest is definately IMPORTANT. Students, it is important to research the college or university you are interested in attending. Get invloved with social networks and ask students who currently attend your potential college about the ups and downs of their experience. Also, always ask questions. If you are clueless about certain topics, then your questions are not classified as "stupid" or "dumb". Parents, it is imperative that you make quality spending time with your child during their first semester as a senior in high school to discuss what their future goals will entail after graduation. Also parents, you must encourage your future college student and let them know the importance of mainaining a good Grade Point Average (GPA). The student's GPA will determine their eligibility for scholarships, grants, and the potential school's financial aid offer. Students, make sure you find the right college for you. Don't attend a largely populated school if you desire simplicity. Also, do not feel embarassed if you change you major more than two times .Your collegiate career is the most important part of life, make the best out of it. Be strong, be deterimined.

I would first advise parents to seriously give thought as to whether their child is ready for the college experience. If the answer is yes then they need to sit down with their child and his/her guidance advisor to discuss how to find the right college for them. Consider what career choices your student wishes to persue then begin researching colleges and universites that offer degrees in that area. Criteria to consider in finding the right college are many: affordability, size of the campus, help for a learning disability, racial diversity( or lack thereof) etc. You and your student need to narrow your final choices down to no more 3 schools . You can get overwhelmed if you don't! Take a road trip(s) with your student to the school(s) they wish to attend. Make an appointment to meet with the department chairman, financial aid office, admissions, even the president of the university if possible (they don't bite). Making the most of your college experience is a balancing act. You must prioritize your life: academics first and everything else second. Unfortunately, I did not take my own advice and am now struggling to undo many, many mistakes.

When searching for the perfect fit, one always seems to pick a place where they feel comfortable, even when it comes to college. Choosing the right colege can be difficult because you can never truly get a feel for the environment until you are actually a part of it. Fortunately, some colleges offer opportunities for future students to get a sneak peak of the college life by paring them with college students for three days. This allows students to eat, learn, and live amongst the college community they are curious about. I suggest that students participate in such experiences so that they can find that good fit. Other factors such as the weather, distance from home, student population, class size, and majors available should be considered when a student is looking for the right fit. In order to make the most out of the college experience one must get involved. Joining clubs and organizations on campus allows students to meet new people with whom they may share common interests with. Many students return home after their first year of college because they say they feel as if there wasn't enough to do on campus. You make your experience.

As a senior in high school I was faced with the same question. Some of the important things to look for when trying to find the right college is credentials, just make sure that the school is accredited in the field that you would like to pursue even if your undecided look at the possibilities. One should also look at what kind of environment they would want to be around including things like peers, size of student body, greek life, sport life, etc. Also look at the housing arrangement for incoming college students that have decided to reside on campus. These things were essential to me and they helped me decide which school was the right one for me. One thing that I advise parents and students to take into consideration when making the final decision about college is the total cost of school. Sometimes students do not realize the cost of school, so make sure that you can afford it without taking out too many loans because they can quickly add up and lead you into high debt before you even graduate. Taking these things into consideration should help the students and the parents make the right decision.

My educational experience has taught me the value of hard work and perseverance. I have learned the importance of active reading and searching for knowledge and truth beyond the classroom. My hunger and desire to explore the world to use my knowledge and skills to help others is exciting and overwhelming. It has been a privilege and honor to attend college in this day and age. I understand the importance and necessity of education, and I want to pass that on to others. Education has opened doors for me that no man can shut. I am truly proud to be a college graduate. As an alumnus of Tuskegee University, I have learned what it actually means to embrace who you are and where you come from. Prior to attending Tuskegee, I was ashamed of being an African American. In my heart, I fought the core belief that being black was a curse. Enrolling in courses like Africana Philosophy and African American Literature gave me a deeper love and appreciation for my people and the struggle we have gone through. Now, I can proudly say that I am honored to be an African American despite how I am portrayed in society.

What's up John'Tavius? I know you may feel as if you have the perfect college plan. "Get the girls, money, and stay fly. But with that plan, you are forgetting about the most essential part, grades. You are a smart kid. You have visited Tuskegee. Tuskegee is exactly as it seemed when you visited. The girls are beautiful; the experience is exciting. There will also be various distractions on campus as soon as you begin to matriculate, such as: drugs, alcohol, sexually transmitted diseases, and guns. Since you grew up in a bad neighborhood, none of these distractions should keep you from completing your college goal and earning good grades. Remember to not only strive to have a great G.P.A., but to learn as much as possible before you graduate from college in 2010. Drug dealers are not trustworthy. Do not do any drugs! You are a nice looking guy. The girls will come. Trust me, as soon as you arive on campus, the ladies will be there to greet you, personally. Failure is not an obtion. Everything seems better when you have good grades. Tell mama, daddy and Amber I said, "I told you so!"

I want to stress the importance of choosing friends wisely. Often times the poeple we associate with will have an impact on our thoughts, actions and future. It is important to identify what your goals are and to contiue to reflect on what you want out of life. If the poeple you are associating do not have the same mindset, they could possibly cause you to go down the wrong path or become complacent. Also, I have learned that time management and studying is very key to success. Try to stick to a schedule so you stay on track. The last two things are to stay focused and build professional work experience. Focusing on your goals and objectives from college is very important. You life and success is determined by the choices you make so it is pivotal that you remain focused on your life plans. Last but not least, work experience. Seek internships even if they are not paid, in the long run you will gain invaluable experience. I hope you take this advice seriously and follow through with it; I truly believe if you do you will find much success in all your future endeavors.

Selecting the right college enhances the student?s ability to make the most out of their college experience. It is important to know the students goals, interests, strengths, and weaknesses. Different colleges and their communities play key roles in the development of such features. It is also important to consider the cultural aspect of the decision. Choosing a historically black college or university entails a desire to learn more about one's history and culture. The students desire to remain close to home or to go as far away as possible is also a critical factor in the decision process. Some students are more susceptible to home sickness than others and with this come weight gain and depression. If the student knows he must come home often, it is best not to go far. With all of these things taken into consideration the last thing that MAKES a college campus is the social aspect. Choose a place that fits the student?s interests in society and social events. Becoming involved is easy and very vital to the future success and happiness of the student?s college career.

When it comes to finding the best college for you or your child the first part to look at is cost after that location. Once you've narrowed it down to what you think is affordable and a reasonable distance you continue your cost evaluation because every school gives different amounts of financial aid. If you have numerous choice you should try your best to visit those campuses because brochures and websites can only tell so much and besides there nothing a firsthand experience. After deciding what school in order to make the best of your experience make school your priority because if you like it there your going to want to stay so grades are a must. But once you have your work under control then try to join different clubs and organizations on campus to have so sort of impact on your campus. If that doesn't sound like your kind of thing then sports are always there for you to try varsity and intramural its a great way to stay fit and have fun with friends doing something you enjoy. In the end college will be the most memorable part of life so make it the best!

If you had asked me this question a year ago, it is likely that I would have awkwardly said “yes, well, about that…” still in shock that I was able to even pass PSYCH 101… I got an A. I was a high school senior at the time who started fall quarter with low expectations of herself and high amounts of self-doubt. I took one class that quarter, just one! I did not think I would do well, but being put in the college setting with college-level standards gave me the motivation to work my butt off and wait patiently for the results, instead of slack off because I felt I would fail anyway. The experience of having such motivation has been highly valuable, considering the A I got in my very first college class showed me that I could do far beyond my expectations. Having met the high standards of my professor boosted my self-confidence, and my experience in just that one class still affects my attitude as I go through each course. In conclusion, I have developed higher expectations and lower amounts of self-doubt through college; this is valuable in my future education.