University of Alabama at Birmingham

« See more reviews of University of Alabama at Birmingham

Make sure your child has the most input on where to go to college. Let them follow their own dreams and find ways to accomodate the cost of college. Take many visits of various college campuses and expand your knowledge of unknown colleges. When your child has found the write college try to visit and call them often. To students find a college you like don't follow your friends or girlfriend/boyfriend, or stick to family traditions of attending a certain college. College is fun and you should make the best of it as much as possible.

If I could go back in time and offer advice to my former self, I would definitely tell my high school self to be prepared and focused for college. I believe that many people initially think of college as the chance to be free and therefore, do not have limits. The person I am now, older and a bit wiser, would tell my younger self that the main objective for attending college is to obtain a degree to have a greater chance of securing the success of my future. I would put much emphasis on this when speaking to my high school self.

Assuming that I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a high school senior, I would most definitely begin to teach myself to better manage time and to keep a planner. I would also tell myself that in a short period of time I will have lots of responsibilities that previously didn't exist so, I would better prepare myself for this by taking initiative and accept some responsibilities that weren't mine. I would also explain to myself the importance of tenacity and teach myself to be a self starter.

Parents don't pressure your child to already have a major when they go to college. Students don't let anyone pressure you to already have a major. Almost every student I have met has changed their major and one reason is because they didn't want the 1st major in the first place and they were pressured into choosing one. So instead of being stuck with credits you don't need, when you go in just take the required curriculum like math and english and take your time to explore other majors and what they have to offer.

I would say, before you apply to college research it and see what its strong points are in relationsip to your field of study. Make sure that there is no other school that is within the same distance that is ranked higher and is more focused on your particular field. Check out the surrounding areas. Visit the campus random times of the year just to see what is going on. There's more to college than just an education and you want to be sure to have the right fun but safe place for the student.

When searching for the right college, make sure to visit the campus and take a tour with an advisor or a figure in your preferred field of study. Review with an advisor the possible finacial aid opportunities, and if possible, ask current students what their experience at the university has been like so far. Apply for as many scholarships as you can! Most of all, make sure that you are excited about the school you choose. This will help you stay motivated throughout your college career.

To make the most of the college experience, get involved in something even if it is not school related. There are probably many volunteer opportunities to take advantage of where you could meet great friends. Find things you are interested in and go for it. Some majors have less free time available, but finding something other than academics to do gives you a chance to get a break from schoolwork occasionally and to make friends that could be friends for the rest of your life.

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior is prepare more for college courses, be more involved, and talk to more people. Do not think the friends that you talk to in high school will be your friend in college. People change and you will meet new people at college. I would also tell myself not to be so stressed about going to college because, it will be an exciting experience and you will learn alot about yourself and other people.

I would tell myself to take less than 17 hours my first semester. And don't take any classes before 10 AM. That was my downfall my freshman year. And that is the reason I have had to work extra hard to get my GPA back up over the past couple of years. I would tell myself to be sweeter to my family, so maybe I wouldn't have to apply for every scholarship I could find. I am very blessed to have a family who have supported me throughout my life.

the advice that I would give to students is that do not hold back during your college years. It is vital to reach out and see what is out there. Do not enter college thinking that you want to be a doctor, lawyer etc, but instead come with an open mind and see everything that you can because it is only that way that you can decide what it is that you really want and what it is that you can contribute most to for the rest of your life.