University of Alabama at Birmingham

« See more reviews of University of Alabama at Birmingham

The most important thing is to find a college that best suits you. Although money should be a factor, it should never be the first factor. Explore the clubs, academics, and housing throughly. Always make a pro and con list for each college and make sure that there are going to be people there like you. Colleges like to say that there is always going to be a variety of people there and that students can always find friends just like them. They are wrong, many colleges do not have a big variety and if they do, it's usually extremely hard to find someone just like you. Try to relate yourself to something the college has - a club, organization, whatever, so you will know that there will be a place for you to fit in and enjoy your college experience.

Parents should make sure that their children are comfortable with the campus and let them decide what they want to do with their lives. No pressure should be put on students to make them do something they don't want to do. Students should stay focused on their schoolwork yet try not to just focus on school. They should relax and take in their whole college experience. It's important for students to make friends and stay involved on campus. They might consider activities that might look good on a resume for the future. Overall, students need to make sure that the campus they are considering offers the major they want to persue. The campus needs to fit your personality and make the home away from home feel as comfortable as possible.

One of the first things I would tell myself is to start studying at least 2 week before a test. Review your material daily so when we do start the studying process it should just be an easy review for you. Do not cram because you will be hurting yourself in the end. Learn how to mange your social life. Do not fit every party into your life because remember there will always be a party. Give back to the commuity because you will feel better at the end of the day and make some great friends. Having a gret set of friends will help keep you sane in college. They are there when you need a good laugh or a shoulder to cry on. Lastly try to enjoy college because you are only here for a short time before you have to enter the real world

I would tell myself to have researched exactly what I want to do before attending school to facilitate the process of choosing a major. Since the best way to choose a particular field of study is to actually have experienced the lifestyle that comes with it, I would tell myself to have accompanied individuals in the fields I had in mind to gain an understanding of what they do. As a result, this would help me realize what I want in life and do what is necessary to gain it. In addition to researching a particular major, I would definitely remind myself to become more responsible. By reminding myself that I am becoming an adult, I would more likely watch my actions and make sure they correlate with what a mature adult would do.

I am 31 years old. College has given me the opportunity to succeed. When I was growing up I felt that a lot of people wanted or expected me to fail because of my family background. In ways, this helped me work harder towards going to college. College gave me the knowledge and confidence to be happy with what I do everyday. My goal now is to prove to myself that I can finish. I have been trying for over ten years to graduate. This has taken so long because I have had to work full time and go to school at the same time. I can see the finish line now and this scholarship would sling shot me to the finish line. I will be the first person to graduate college in my family. Please help me prove everyone wrong.

Finding the right college can be an exciting experience especially when you find the college just for you. Its important to recognize the environment in which you learn best and try to locate a college that embodies that environment. Factors to consider are the size of the campus, student to teacher ratios, available financial aid, and cost of tuition. Colleges that offer a variety of on and off campus recreational activities help to relieve the stress of academics. Meet with academic counselors of your top college choices BEFORE you choose the college; they should influence your decision substantially because thier advice will help direct your path as a student , thus necesssary for your success.

Some advice that I would give my highschool self is to be open minded, try to network and also meet new people which can really help as you progress on in college. Also get more involved and make better study habits try to let the teacher know you care about the class by asking questions and talking to them after class which also helps them to know your face and name. Most of all I would have said really think about what you want to do after you graduate college because these 4 years go by so fast for you to decide in that time what you will want do for the rest of your life. Last I would encourage myself and say to stay positive the whole time I am making my highschool to college transition.

I skipped my senior year using dual-credit classes at my local University. But if I could go back and talk to myself at that point in my life I would tell the younger me to focus less on work and more on school. The money I made at the time didn't last, and the plays that I acted in only brought drama into my life. I would tell myself that if I would only apply myself to Psychology, that I would enjoy my school work(the way I do now), and feel like I accomplished something instead of starting over nearly from scratch. I wish that I could say what happiness I feel NOW when doing schoolwork and internships, so that I could understand that everything doesn't have to be overwhelming.

I would say to parents and/or students to first make sure the location of the school that is chosen is right for the particular person; meaning make sure it is right climate wise, crime wise, and the set up of the campus. If campus housing is needed make sure the dorms offer the type of living accomadation desired and food services on campus are open during breaks if you will need to utilize the services during those times. First and formost make sure that the desired major is offered . Also, research the classroom setting to make sure that the classes are taught in a way that is benefical to you. Last if possible visit the campus and sit in on a class if at all possible.

I would definately tell myself that I really should have paid more attention my senior year, even though I came out at the top of my class, I had 'senioritis' and just didn't care. I'd tell myself that studying is the key, I can't party all night and plan on taking a test that I tried to study for a few hours before the test and expect to pass. That does not work in college. Also, learn to manage my time wisely. I always find myself saying there arent enough hours in a day but it is only because I don't really didn't learn time management until I got to college. Last thing is do not try to work a full time and go to school fulltime like in high school, it does not work!