University of Alabama at Birmingham

« See more reviews of University of Alabama at Birmingham

I came in wanting to become a nurse, but with classes and speaking to other nursing students I realized I wouldn't be really be happy going down that road so I opted for a general BS in Biology. Now when I graudate I intend to apply to Auburn and attend their veterinarian program. I think being a vet is something I want more than I ever wanted to be a nurse, but I always thought it wasn't a practical choice given how long it takes and the availability of jobs. However, after attending university I've realized it's not always what makes you the most money thats important, but how happy you are doing something you've always wanted to do whether its sports or academics.

Thus far, I have experienced many great opportunities at UAB. I have met very unique professors and students that I otherwise would not have met attending elsewhere. Last semester I took a class that I classified as a "hippy" class. It is called Green Revolution. It taught me to appreciate my surroundings and environment more than ever. I appreciate the relaxation of nature and how to give back to it. I walked away from that class feeling better about the earth and what I can do to contribute to it. I learned what taking time to nurture the earth can do for many generations to come. After taking this class, it very well may be my favorite one so far.

In my first semest of college its been tough. I didnt recieve any financial aid til the last week of the semester and i was not able to afford the textbooks until after midterm exams. But I have learned that the proffesors are great and even without the text book I was able to learn a lot of the material. That the people in college are there too learn. Sure you can have fun once in a while but majority are there to get ahead in life in a business worlk that is getting tougher and tougher to find a job without a degree. So even if its tough to barely get the neccessities for college I'll do everything I can to get a higher education to reach my potential.

Go to the best school for the least money you have to spend out of pocket. But, don't always assume you have to go to the best school even if you can't afford it. I would not trade the time I've spent at my "lesser" school for anything in the world. It turned out to be even better than the brochures made it out to be. Also, once you get to school, live on campus. You learn more about your school and the community by living there. You make friends that will last forever. And, most importantly, it helps you to get involved and you don't have to worry about making it back to campus for something important when you've already gone home.

I would advise both parents and students to research a large selection of schools, then narrow them down based on the student's affinities. In the end, the choice of school should ultimately be up to the student because they will be the one living there for four years or more. If the student is not happy in an institution they will begin to exhibit self destructive behaviors. It may be minor such as attending too many parties and avoiding studying, or more extreme such as developing alcoholism, drug dependencies, and depression. When the student is content in their environment, they will truly perform to the best of their potential.

I would first tell myself to enjoy the time I have with family. It is so important to continue to make those relationships flourish, even with distance during college. I would also tell myself to enjoy each moment in high school and not to override it with the impulse to experience the adventures of college life. I would also stress to myself to stay motivated and don’t get too much senioritis because many people and organizations are willing to award me for my hard work and diligence in high school. Most importantly, I would tell myself to stay true to who I am and try my best to make a positive, lasting impression on those around me.

To future leaders of America a student should attend the college of there choice but also have a backup just incase their price range exceeds yours and major in something you really want to be, don't major in something just because your parents told you to because at the end this is not a job, but a life long career you will be stuck with. Be sure to study hard Freshmen year because if you mess up its going to be really hard to play catch up. Freshmen year is a new and exciting experience, but be sure not to let yourself go or else you'll end up being a party addict and a chance that you might end up regretting something one day.

I would tell me to try to find yourself while you are at college and to be careful of distraction that can get in your way. To apply for as many scholarship opportunities as you can. I would say to be yourself and to not let anyone tell you that you can't do something because you can if you just believe and have faith. And I would say to follow your heart and always go with your first mind even if it sounds crazy lol. I would tell myself to make good friends and to be very involve on campus. And Lastly I Would tell myself to Just have fun and enjoy college life while you can because once you graduate, you are on your own.

If I could go back in time to my senior year I would focus way more on college realted matter such as AP courses than Homecoming and who has the nicest car The transition was really hard and the most important thing I could tell my friends, if I could go back, would be to learn how to teach yourself to study. If you can teach yourself a chapter without the teacher and do well on the test you are ready for college. Teaching myself how to do well without a highschool type teacher would best prepare the average guy for college and the college load that comes with it. This would be my words of wisdom if I could go back.

If I could back in time, and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to apply for more scholarships. I am an out-of-state student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and tuition is very pricey. As a high school senior, I applied for numerous scholarships but most, I was not awarded. Paying for college has become very hard for my family and I. Paying for tuition, as well as, daily necessities, such as food or school supplies, has even become a problem. Therefore, I now know that I should have applied earlier for certain scholarships and I should have applied for those of larger amounts.