University of Alabama at Birmingham

« See more reviews of University of Alabama at Birmingham

Get focused early and start reaching out to companies you would like to work for in the future. Volunteer or get into an internship. That way, when you do graduate it will be much easier to get a job. Do not wait until your sophomore year to decide on a major. Take your classes seriously. Just because you can skate by and get a B does not mean you should. You might need that A that you could have earned to cushion your GPA later in your college career when the course load gets harder. Every class counts, even electives.

Before I came to UAB, I wish I would have known more about the amazing services and opportunities available for me and all other students at UAB. Even though I am somewhat involved, I wish that I would have known more about the numerous organizations offered so that I could be tremendously involved like many of the people that I have come in contact with in my few months a UAB. I feel that if I would have been more interested in learning about what is offered, it would have been easier for me to get involved.

I wish I had known that the "college experience" does not apply to this school. I was given one chance to have fun and learn in college, and I blew it by attending UAB. The college is dead after classes and on weekends. To be honest, the school pushes diversity so much that it hosts "black only" events. The sports teams are horrible here. The school pushes so many people through it that it dumbs up the work for anyone to pass. The only thing this school taught me was that life gives you one chance.

I wish I had known how easy it was to approach teachers about my own conflicts. I was having trouble with a teacher's assissant who was not teaching my Biology lab well, but I felt like it was too small of a deal to approach my professor. After the semester I approached my professor about the problem and she said she would have remedied it immediately if I had come to her. Unfortunately my grade and GPA were already affected because I was reluctant to speak out about problems in my lab.

I wish I would have known that having my own mind and point of view is actually a good thing. I wish someone would have made sure I knew that time management is the key to survival. I wish I would have known, without a doubt in my mind, that I can actually be anything I want and someone will be there to help me reach this goal. Above all, I wish I would have known that I would form some of the best friendships of my life here.

I wish I would have known the exact amount of tuition and I wish I would have applied for more scholarships at the school. I really need this scholarship to pay off my tuition so I can register for the next semester. If not, I will be kicked out of school and I don't want that to happen. I want to prove to my family that we can graduate from college and so on to be intelligent people.

That it was much bigger and a lot less academic than I was led to believe. I thought I would have much better professors and classes than I have ended up having. Also, the atmosphere is just odd...there are a lot of aging people who have decided to come back to school when they hit around 40, and a lot of people commute, giving the school a very strange atmosphere indeed.

How Financial aid deals with people, I wish that they were easier to get in contact with and would respond to emails and phone calls in a prompt manner. Granted, for the size of the school I guess they do a good job. They aren't very helpful with housing, everything has to be done on your own accord.

Before I came to college, I wish I had known how many different opportunities I would encounter once I entered school. I also wish I had known how many different cultures I would encounter, and how the setting in the city would be so different from where I came from.

I wish I had known the difficutly in getting financial aid. Minorities have no problem getting aid however those whose parents are still together and make a fair income usually do not recieve as much aid as the minorities with the same financial situtation.