University of Arkansas

« See more reviews of University of Arkansas

I can assure you that you will not see a horse on campus if you come here, all fancy motorized cars for us Razorbacks. I can also assure you you will not see any more hillbillies at Arkansas than you would at any southern University. The school provides a quality education that not just Arkansans value, but many Texans, Oklahomans and other out-of-staters. Regarding being a big school, it is true in some aspects. There are some classes, especially the elementary levels, that are large lectures, but in most classes there are enough sections that the class sizes are quite small. I have three classes right now that have less than 15 people.

Yes, it is a popular school for agriculture and animal science majors; and many of my peers grew up on farms. Yes, sports and school spirit are a big deal and yes, we have a whole street close to campus lined with bars. But some of us, have only been to two football games during their entire school career. And some of us would rather have coffee in a quiet place with friends, rather than brave Dickson street on a Friday night. And remember, just because we talk slow, doesn't mean we're stupid, and you'd be suprised at how many people find our accents appealing.

No! There is a lot more diversity than I thought there would be on campus. There are a handful of agriculture students who are born and raised in the country, but there is a huge portion of students from big cities. I'm from the Dallas area and I feel like I fit in just fine. As for the school being totally Greek, it's not true. There is a great number of sororities and fraternities on campus, but they are definitely not the only way to find friends. I am not Greek, but many of my friends are involved with Greek life, but they don't rule the school.

Backwards hicks-no. Like any state, there are individuals that aren't very smart, but the majority of us are just normal people. Many of us DO embrace the fact that we are from the South and have pride in our culture, but that doesn't mean we are all off marrying our cousins! Arkansas is a big party school, but there are going to be parties at any college one attends and as long as you don't let it interfere with your studies, there is nothing wrong with going out! There is no exaggeration about our love of the Razorbacks. It is what we live for.

The first one, not at all. Though Arkansas does have a strong Ag program, we are in no way hicks. A large percentage of our students come from Texas even, not Arkansas born and raised. And we have a wide variety of dating options, not just our cousins. Greek wise, there are definitely people that fit these stereotypes. But there are also a wide variety of other people of every single variety. The Greeks on campus are varied and different, even in any given house, just like we are on campus.

For the most part, there are several students who come from the country and could be classified as "hick", but the majority of the students are not what others think U of A is like. As for the fraternity and sororities, you could check a good bundle of them off on your list of what you think Greeks are like. Most do fit the stereotype that is already made for Arkansas.

The clothes part is pretty accurate, but the huge party school thing can be deceiving. I think that it is a really fun school that always has a lot going on, but it's not a huge party school and everyone here doesn't get drunk all the time. Most people i know balance parties and school pretty well.

For the most part the stereotypes are accurate. You will never get far at the university unless you are from Arkansas. Getting a job there is almost impossible unless you are an alum. If you are looking for good minority representation among the students or faculty you are out of luck.

In some areas of the state, people do often ride four-wheelers, feed cows, and go hunting. But, not all areas/people are like that! Arkansas has very upscale areas to live, such as Fayetteville. Northwest Arkansas is rapidly growing and there are many job opportunities in this area.

I think that all schools party including the University of Arkansas but partying is not the most important thing at the UofA. Our acadimics are great and we have a really good and well-known athletic teams.