University of Arkansas

« See more reviews of University of Arkansas

The worst thing about the University of Arkansas is probably the weather. Since you usually have to walk everywhere on campus or take the bus, weather can take it's toll. In Arkansas, one day the weather will be sunny and beautiful, the next day cold and miserable. In the winter, it tends to snow quite a bit in Fayetteville. This means that you have to treck to class in the freezing weather and possible two feet of snow. I love this school, but the weather is an annoying thing that every student and faculty member has to deal with.

In truth, the worst part about the University of Arkansas has nothing to do with its academics; the worst part is the parking and transit department. It is such a hassle to have to know the dates and times of all home sport games so one knows when to move his car. They make it much harder than necessary by making it difficult to know which lots can be parked in for which games and by only opening the parking garage for free on weekends. It feels like they are just trying to make some extra money off the students.

The focus on athletics seems to be much more important than academics. The school is tearing down parking lots to expand the football program and now many people have to park miles from campus just to go to class. The entire environment here is revolving around sports and games. I did not come here for sports. I came here for academics and to receive a good education. My money is going toward these athletic renovations instead of towards what happens in the classrooms. That is not where my money should be going.

By using the word "worse" I understand that I should choose something among my University's facilities, resources, and overall system of operation that I found particularily unconvenient. The truth is, I love everything about my University, but if I had to choose, I would only wish that the cafeteria's could be open longer during the weekends so that we may take advantage of our meal plans and that the books would be cheaper or their buyback value higher.

There is not a lot of diversity race wise, and most of the campus activities circle around fraternities and sororities. I used to be in a sorority, and I believe that both fraternities and sororities on this campus have an unrealistic view of how much a student can handle, meaning they fine you money if you dont make social events, even if you were studying for a test. This is why I am no longer in a sorority and dont agree with anything they stand for.

There aren't really a lot of activities or clubs at the school that interest me. There are usually events going on that are hosted by fraternities, sports games and things of the like going on, but none of them really interest me. For those with a nerdier outlook there is a larping group, but it is very disappointing. Unfortunately, there is not much going for the RSOs on campus, and I'm really not sure how one would get in contact with them anyways.

Walking up and down hills all day to get to classes and dorms and to town is probably the worst thing about the University. It gets exhausting, no matter how many times you do it, and you have to do it in all weather, no joke. But it does build you up, and they have elevators in most of the buildings when you actually get there so you can catch your breath, but just getting there is hard.

I think the worst thing about my school is how it handles feedback from students. Poor professors seldom incur any form of discipline, just a lack of rewards. On the flip side, professors who do well require significant amounts of positive feedback to receive any kind of benefits for positive work. Neither of these scenarios results in professors having a motivation to do their job well.

I had a few teachers that were very hard to get along with and had very strong controversial views. This offended me, and I did not know who to go to over these issues because everyone thought these teachers were so wonderful. Also, I was part of an off-campus group and I felt that many times we were left out or short-changed compared to the on-campus group in the same line of study.

My orientation was a little vague and even though they gave us almost all the information we needed they didnt give a lot of time to talk to anyone one on one about finance and how classes will be. Parking is a big issue as well tho. A lot of spaces are provided but you have to pay a lot more to get close to your dorm rooms.