University of Bridgeport

« See more reviews of University of Bridgeport

Aldun, Congrats on making it this far!! College life is nothing like you expected it would be. It's not about the girls, the parties, or anything else you've seen on television. You need grow up and change your ways, FAST!!! Get back into the habit of doing your work on time, or earlier, if possible. Don't be afraid to ask your teachers or other classmates for help when you need it, that's what the teacher is there for, and you might be able to help another student in a different subject that their having trouble with. Although it might seem like it's all work and no play, there are many clubs and teams here that you can join to keep yourself occupied with during yor free time. Stay stress free, don't make yourself the center of attention, because that would lead to unnecessary drama, keep a low profile is possible(which I doubt knowing us). Don't forget to be yourself, change for NO ONE, don't be a follower or walk in anyone's shadow. You and I both know that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. Sincerely, Aldun

College has been the most valuable thing in my lifetime. During high school I was a very unmotivated individual, shy, withdrawn, and generally disinterested in life. After joining college and taking classes from specialized individuals that seem to care more about their area of expertise than anyone in high school ever did and also being a part of the clubs on campus. Specifically the Model United Nations team that served to guide me through my choices as to what I want to major in and what career I want to enter into. It has also served to promote leadership, organizational skills, researching skills, prioritization, fundraising, time management, public speaking, and cooperational skills necessary to succeed in school and even in life. The teachers are fantastic ways to learn from even outside of the classroom as their experience and advice in life is unparalleled proving to be very helpful in deciding what to do with my life as well as aiding me to form my own opinions towards matters. College has opened my eyes to a larger world around me and is preparing me to become a solid worldly citizen capable of making important decisions.

The problem with going back in time to speak to myself as a high school senior is that I wouldn't be there. That person has never existed. Young, haughty, and dealing with sorrows beyond my years, I chose to become a statistic at the age of 16. School was my thorn; the beast I was never meant to tame. Lacking true guidance, I dropped out, sparking my premature entry into the "real world." However, this would not mark my story's end. Years later, the allure of academia seems to beckon my return. I am now a 25 year old college freshman, brimming with utter joy at the thought of redeeming the ashes of my education and turning them into beauty.Were I to cross paths with the frightened, broken girl of my youth, I imagine very few words would be exchanged. I would simply cradle that child, wipe her tears, pray for strength to find her, and whisper "hang tight, sweet girl." For I know what she does not yet see. When her world shattered, my dreams took flight. When her star exploded and all seemed lost, something new had emerged and turned to kiss the sun. Hope.

A college education is more then just an expensive piece of paper. It is not only the cumulation of four years of undergraduate work but of twelve years of primary and secondary education as well as twenty one (plus) years of continous education. During college you take classes that not only "teach" you a particular subject but that teach you how to apply what you where taught to novel situations. You learn to think abstractly, to support your arguments and to work with others in order to further your own edcuation. However college is about more then just academics it prepares us for adulthood by allowing us to develop not only our minds but also ourselevs. Confined in the bubble that is a campus college students are able to experiment and discover what matters to them. The ultimate payoff one can get from a college degree is when you realize that it has prepared you for the "real" world, that you have gained skills that can be applied for the rest of your life and that you keep your love of learning alive long after the dimploma is hung on the wall.

I attended college 2006-2009 and loved every minute of it. I went for interior design where I learned so much about myself and my creative side. I also learned to network in the design field which is a "gotta know a guy" type of industry. I found self confidence and a new level of self-esteem in my school days. I was able to work on the 2008 Las Vegas Parade of Homes ASID showcase house which was worth over $18.5 mil. I truly am a new found person from that experience. I have recently decided that since the economy has been rather fickle for me to go ahead and take out loans to be a dental assistant because of my past college experience. I found that I love social interaction, and helping people. I'd rather help the ill fated with their dental hygiene than fortunate people with making their homes even better. I feel that going to school was the best thing that could have happened to me. I found a love for life and people, and I realized my true destiny is to help people less fortunate than me with my dental assistant training.

If you think you know everything about life, guess again. College is the time where you truly find yourself. After only completing one year of college, I see how much I have changed. I have become more independent and I have discovered that the number one person I need to please is myself. Try new things. If you do not like something, that is okay because you can start over. The senior quote that you choose for the yearbook will continue to withstand throughout college and proably for the rest of your life. "If at first youdon't succeed, dust yourself off and try again," Aaliyah. You are going to make mistakes because you are human. Never forget that. Learn from your mistakes and never give up.Try and fail and try again. When times get difficult just remember it will all be worth it in the end. Be prepeared for some long nights of studying and writting papers. You procrastinated all throughout high school and that proabbly won' t change in college. Just get it done. Do not get discouraged and you will do fine.

Finding the right college is not as tough as many people make it out to be. There are a lot of online sources along with advisers at high schools that the family can talk to about making choices of what school has what you need in resources and academics. Know or have an idea of what who want to major in college and find a school that best suits what u want from that major. Figure out if the campus size and the surrounding community are right for you. Making a list of possible schools and then going to visit those institutes is another good way of making sure that the school is right for the student. Join clubs and get involved with school activities in and around the campus and the community to get the most of the college experience. Meeting and getting to know people of different backgrounds and different interests can not only help contribute to the outside life once college is completed but can make for a well rounded individual. Activities can also release stress accumulated though class work and test.

Right out of high school I went to a 2-year college and in the process of transferring to SDSU. I have been very pleased on the way I approached going to college and think it’s the best way. Whether to go to college or not shouldn’t be up for discussion, everyone should go to college. Whether to go to a 2-year college first, or what college to attend is the question. I have learned so much in college that I never expected; I have built social bonds with friends, and academic connection with teachers. Even if you can’t get into an Ivy League University, doesn’t mean you should give up because everyone can make a difference and going to college makes it easier for you to stand up for what you believe in while be around people like yourself. If I didn’t go to college I would be still at work going nowhere in life, while the price of living keeps increasing and my learning intake comes to a halt. People out of high school are too young to stop receiving an education and it has been more than worth it for me.

I would tell myself not to be afraid about the transition from high school to college because college is a million times better then college. The courses are not has difficult as people depict them to be. The professors do care about their students and are always available to help. I would advise myself to ask more than on financial counselors to help you find different ways to get more money to cover your tuition. In college there are different ways to receive more money in your financial aid packet without having to take out private loans. Also I would advise myself to not procrastinate when having to write papers that are 10 pages and more. You will end up pulling all-nighters and you will not receive the grades you want on those papers. Finally, I would advise myself take an early start in looking for law schools and taking prep courses before your senior year in college. Senior year is stressful enough with final requirements and final papers to worry about studying for a Law School entry exam.

I have gotten a great deal of responsibility out of my college experience. I have learned how to manage my own money, get to my many classes on time, and handle situations on my own. I have to find ways to pay for college for the next four years through scholarships and all of this falls under the umbrella of responsibility. I currently have an on campus job dealing with my major and I love every second of it. The money that I receive from this job I use for my college expenses. The University that I attend is $40,000 a year, and it is a private University, and books are about $750 a semester term. Education its self is expensive, and I need to find ways to pay for it now, instead of paying for it later, when I have to pay off these laons. Another reason the school is valuable to attend is because this school has my major, and I wanted to have the college experience instead of going to an Art Institute and living home, so going away to college was good for me.