University of California-Davis

« See more reviews of University of California-Davis

1. There ARE a lot of asians, and I don't know why this is. Well, there are a lot of asians IN GENERAL. It also depends on the major. The sciences and different engineering majors have coincidentally higher numbers. There is no reason why someone should NOT choose Davis because of the high amount of asian students. Before even hearing about Davis, I had been unusually actually attracted to asian boys :) (Depends.) But that is no reason to choose a college, either. And it just so happens that my bf now is NOT asian. Well half Philipino. Anyway. 2. Classes are as stressful as you make them! Honestly, plan ahead and do your work. That's it. Just because it is "UC Davis" does not mean that there is EXTRA pressure to do well. This isn't Berkeley! (Just Kidding!) Honestly, there should already be pressure from yourself, otherwise you wouldn't have the motivation to even apply and attend Davis in the first place. But basically, don't freak out and become addicted to coffee and red bull. You will find what you like, whether you stick with your Aeronautical Engineering major or switch to Linguistics! Haha.. 3. Part uno: I could have done better my freshman year, and YOU HAVE THAT CHANCE! I am absolutely not uptight. I am the one to calm my friends down when they freak out. If you're not getting the grades you want, change your habits. If you aren't getting the grades your parents want, that's another issue......... Part dos: I LOVE to party. Not only are you meeting new people, learning about interactions between them and trying new things, you're experiencing other people's values through intensive situational dealings. If there's a line for the bathroom, I usually make three to four new friends. What about line to the keg!? A little flirting never hurt! You get what you want faster, (hopefully you're not a skeez about it!) and in the mean time, people admire your conversational skills! FUN STUFFFFFFF. Maybe I'll see you at a party ot two next quarter? :) 4. I do not know ANY Agg majors. Well, except for the boys in the Agg frat. And I hate the smell of cow poop. Don't get me wrong, I'll pet the animals, but that's all they'll get from me. I'm about to contradict myself. It's funny; one day I took a three minute long video of the cows coming up to me at the fence and MOOING extremely loud. They are adorable. OK ok, you get used to them. But you can absolutely avoid them if you must :) You will have to find out for yourself. All I can say is that the people in Davis are friendly and fun, and you can find what you're looking for if you really want it!

Not entirely. Yes, it is very flat here, but if you are into road biking or running, just drive a little ways out and you can find some good hills. The downtown is full of lots of restaurants offering a wide variety of ethnic cuisine. There's the typical Starbucks but there are also many cute, local coffee shops. The school itself offers so many ways to get involved from intramural (IM) sports to volunteer opportunities; there are tons of interest clubs. The Experimental College offers African Dance, guitar and cooking classes for cheap prices. And if Davis ever gets really boring, Sacramento is nearby (to which you can ride a Yolo bus for free) as is San Francisco.

Davis is situated 15 miles West of Sacramento, and 70 miles East of San Francisco, and its own lively downtown means Davis is anything but "in the middle of nowhere." While there is a farm on campus with live animals, they are situated far away from the main part of campus, so chances are you will rarely if ever run into them. Davis students are highly regarded academically, but there are plenty of off-campus parties, as well as on-campus events to keep you busy. The political climate is active but relaxed, and all persuasions are represented.

There are lots of things to do in Davis. There are not many stores and malls nearby but there are still things that are fun for college age people to do with their friends. You can make better friends here because you have to be creative with group activities. Parts of town smell like cow, but over-all definitely not a cow town. A lot of people here chose Davis over Berkeley because of the cute town and it is less stressful.

It is a bit of a cow town. There is farm life, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any other kind of life. It's definitely got a slow pace and there aren't any mindblowing clubs or bars. Instead it's really personal and all the people are really friendly. Maybe there's less nightlife than in the city, but I think that there's enough to do if you just get creative or drive out to the city, which really isn't that far.

1. Yes, from my experience, at least for the main ones 2. No, though I have met far more farmers than I ever have, and have made some awesome farmer friends 3. This is kindof true, but seeing as how the school has 30,000 ppl, it's not hard to find a good looking guy 4. Only if you live in tercero or have lacrosse practice on dairy field

No, the city of Davis is adorable, and the people are really nice and down to earth. Sometimes in the summer, you can smell the cows, but most of the year, it smells completely normal.

To some extent, these stereotypes are true. But, like any college, there are parties to be found at all times, you just have to know the right people.

Not really, we have a lot of "hippie" festivals, but they are fun and help you to respect the earth more. You don't have to participate in anything.

No. There are so many clubs and frats/sororities on campus that encourage the students to get involved in all types of activities.