University of California-Santa Cruz

« See more reviews of University of California-Santa Cruz

Although the educators and students at the University of California, Santa Cruz have successfully created an environment where most of its student body truly does accept those less conformist beliefs, opinions, and practices, it has not produced an enviornment that respects the beliefs, opinions, and practices of the more conservative. The social standard of not only tolerance, but acceptance, at UCSC will be more respected and even more successfully applied if its faculty, staff, and students actually practices what they preach: To extend respect and equality amongst all human beings, not only those that are the same or more liberal.

I attended UCSC during the early years of its inception, in 1977; many areas were still experimental, such as the use of narrative evaluations instead of grades. Now, students receive grades, which allows graduates to provide a G.P.A. to prospective employers or in search of higher education. UCSC also had a poor academic reputation; it was considered "flaky," a claim I found even in the late 70s (a time still within the hippie hey-day) to be false: coursework was rigorous, comprehensive, and fascinating. I abhorred others' uninformed comments that my college was anything but academically stellar.

This school does not prepare its students for this failing economy and outsourcing of jobs. When a school says it offers an education, UCSC exlusively means it. Unless you're in a BS major, there is nothing practical here. The social life on campus is also so convenient, that people forget what relationship investment is. There is a lot of partying, a lot of talking but very little listening. I think that this reflects more poorly on the students than the school itself. And UCSC has a high depression, dropout and substance abuse rate. Enough said.

The worst thing about my school is its reputation. UC Santa Cruz doesn't have the strictest enforcement of drug use, which causes a more "laid back" attitude among students and leads to a high presence of drug and alcohol activity on campus. I believe this contributes to the attitude that UCSC isn't one of the most prestigious schools in the country and is just a "party" and "drug" school. I think this university is capable of being one of the top instituitions, but it's association with "potheads" holds it back from its true potential.

The worst part of UCSC is that in most of the bigger classes only the top 10% get A's, and every teacher sets their own grading scale. Many professors in prerequistite classes try to weed out students they don't think are fit for their prospective majors. However, if you work hard and establish a relationship with the professor and/or their assistants, it's possible to excel. The school also has a reputation as being easy because liberal arts programs are much easier than the science programs, thus feel a little misrepresented.

The worst thing about this school is that it is very liberal. Although many people may like this about UCSC, I think this detracts students from other viewpoints that are out in the world. I also think the worst thing about my school is that it does not have a wide array of students from different socio-economic backgrounds. From the people I have interacted with on my campus, most are white students who come from middle class or higher class backgrounds.

Open-Mindedness and Diversity have become odd, torturted terms in UC Santa Cruz. While the Oxford English Dictionary would tell you otherwise, open-mindedness means unwavering, near center to far left political views while center to right are often met with a smug, holier-than-thou reception. Diversity, on the other hand, is still code for 3 black people, 7 mid-easterners, 10 hispanics, and 15 asians out of every 100 students.

There is too much emphasis on getting the students out once they are a part of the UC system. The class sizes and availability leave much to be desired in order to provide a high quality education. Too much is left up to the student to figure out, often leaving them in the dark until it is too late, there were advisers, yet they were not as helpful as I feel they should have been.

The worst thing about my school is that the future of the university lies in the decisions of a few businessmen called "the regents". Therefore, fees have been raised by almost %50 in the last year, even though the state made a commitment in the 20th century for free public education to all California citizens, and decent prices for out of state students.

The only thing that i consider bad in my school is having mostly alot of smokers . The campus is beautifula nd very extravegant, it is mostly a place where you can go and relax after a hard day . I also do not like the fact that we have to be un shuttles to go to different classes because the classes are far or even the the other side of the campus.