University of Central Florida

« See more reviews of University of Central Florida

Other than sororities and fraternities which I do not know a lot about because I am not in one, in my opinion the most popular activities are intramural sports. They are so much fun! You do not have to be an experiences athlete, most of the time they are just for fun, but there ARE more competitive leagues for those who are interested in the more serious game. At UCF we have several sports to choose from so there is something for everyone. I personally love to play soccer and softball. This semester I got a kickball team together and it has been an absolute blast despite the fact that we have lost every game thus far. Next semester I am thinking about joining a dodge ball team!? Im really excited about that.... Football games here at UCF are HUGE everyone goes and gets all dressed up. There are always a group of people who go all out with paint and/or full body suits. Tailgating is always fun but does not have to involve alcohol. Families bring RV's and camp out the night before home games. On weekend a lot of people attend theme parks, hang out with friends, or go to parties. The clubs near UCF are all 18+ so you can enjoy the scene even if you are not of legal drinking age. I recently turned 21 and got to go downtown Orlando for the first time. It was amazing! So many people to interact with and so much to see! If you are not into drinking there is still plenty else to do, Like i mentioned before the theme parks are a big hit! I myself along with several friends have annual passes to Universal. I also know several people who work at Disney (and can get me in for free) so connections are easy to come by. UCF also offers discount to several businesses in the area which is awesome! You can get significant discount prices for disney and universal tickets as well as movie tickets and dinner theater tickets. There is never a dull moment in Orlando.

First of all, dorm life did not exist my freshman year on campus. No one really made an effort to get to know anyone because most people that came to UCF were floridians and already had their high school group of friends. However, if you are outgoing and take an initial risk to put yourself out there to try to make a friend you can be successful. I think that fraternities and sororities on campus have a visible influence, but do not run the campus. You don't need to be a part of these groups here to have a social life because there are so many options to go out. There are tons of student bars where you can socialize every night of the week if you want to, and they are always packed with cute guys! If you don't like the UCF bar scene, fair enough (I don't either), you can go to downtown Orlando that is only 20 minutes away which are packed with way cuter older guys! If you don't want to be around alcohol there are so many options in Orlando. I love walking around Downtown Disney on a Friday night or going to the Disney Parks. Besides the weekends, you can participate in Spirit Splash, the most recognized event which is part of homecoming. Everyone takes the afternoon off of their classes and runs in the gigantic fountain in front of the library. Don't get caught doing this any other time of the year because you'll have a fun night with the police!

Some of the most popular groups on campus include: the football team, the basketball team, the SGA, the O-team, intramural sports, and IDEAS. I have attended a few of the IDEAS meetings and they are an environmental activist group. They plan events and do what they can in the community for the environment. I have also played intramural basketball, which was a lot of fun. Even if you are not skilled it gives you a chance to be active and learn a sport. Students in dorms do not often leave their doors open. I didn't even meet everyone on my floor when I lived in the dorms. The most popular sporting events are the football and basketball games. Every year during Homecoming there is an event called Spirit Splash. This is when all students are allowed to jump in the reflection pond! This is so much fun because it is the only day of the year you can go in it. UCF is known as a somewhat party school. There are students who go out almost every night of the week and there are students who never go out. On average I would say students go out,.2-3 times a week. Besides going to the local bars there is so much to do around the UCF community. We have a movie theater, mini golf, malls, restaurants, local shows and concerts, parks, nature trails, and gyms. There is a lot of ways to get involved and meet people.

The student life is very active at UCF, there are plenty of club fairs and opportunities to become involved. Athletics is something that UCF is rising to the top for and have become very poplular for every game day the tailgate area and the student seating is packed with students cheering and singing the UCF fight song. I personally am not the partying type, I would prefer to hang out with my friends rather than go to a party where I don't know anyone. Partying can be an issue but I personally don;t see it cause I choose not to be that way, I don't care to go get drunk and spend my morning feeling horrible from the night before. That is just my personality. Many of my friends I knew from high school also came to UCF especially my two best friends but I do live on a seperate campus within a freshman floor of hospitality majors whom I have become really close with and they are like my second family. Everyone watches out for another on my floor rather than going our we stay up and watch movies in our lounge or play board games and our location is 5 mins away from Florida's marjor theme parks so sometimes we just hop in the car and go for most of us have yearly passes to enjoy the parks.

Football games are a big deal on campus, as is Homecoming and Spirit Splash. The majority of people seek to be involved with the big events. That being said, there's always something going on and there are hundreds of clubs and organizations on campus available for anyone to get involved with. There are often guest speakers that cover a wide variety of topics and there are several theater performances each semester. Since there are so many people and so many social events, it's really easy to meet people, so the dating scene is good and active. People do party, but usually on weekends, although there are many college nights at clubs and bars around the city on weekdays. Fraternities and sororities do play are big part in campus life, but they're not important. You won't have a bad experience if you're not part of it, just a different one since sorority life is just an alternative way in student life. As for off campus activities, there are amusement parks, laser tag, shopping, movie theaters and restaurants galore. There really is no shortage of fun things to do, especially if you're not a drinker.

The most popular student actives or groups is a hard question to answer. Obviously at UCF we love our sports, we have game day traditions and we live by our traditions. We love to support our team(s). Outside of sports with a school as large a UCF it is hard to narrow down even to top 5 student groups. We have so many, we have Greek Life, Sports, SGA, you name it, we have it, and if we don't, you can start it. In the science majors pre-medical, pre-dental (so on and so forth) clubs/organizations tend to take the lead, but in English majors clubs or organizations such as Future Technical Communicators tends to take the lead and include many students in English classes. On weekends during the fall people can be found tailgating and getting ready for the football game, either home or away. During the week you can find people with their frat brothers or sorority sisters or even just walking around campus. Everyone at UCF is different, however as a student body we do enjoy to party, tailgate, hang out with friends, etc if we are not studying or in class (and sometimes even if we are or should be).

The biggest groups are Frats and Sororities. I am involved in the Honors College. It is amazing, provides many opportunities and all the staff is so nice. Students in dorms do not leave their doors open. Football games are huge, most other things arent. maybe mens basketball is somewhat big. Guest speakers and theater are not that big. I dont know about the dating scene because I already had a boyfriend when i got here. I met my closest friends in highschool and in my boyfriend's dorm. I am asleep at 2am on tuesday. If i was awake, i would be hanging out at my boyfriend's dorm, probably playing a video game or going online. The spirit splash. Homecoming. People party a lot. Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are big nights to go out. I dont know why monday is one of them. I dont care about greek life. Last weekend I did homework, hung out with friends, and went home on sunday to do laundry. I hang out with friends, play video games, go shopping, go out to eat, go to a movie, go to islands of adventure, cook. Off campus: go to islands of adventure, go home, go shopping.

The most popular goups on campus would be the greek organizations, the football and basketball team as well as the student government association. I am involved in DECA a group that focuses on developing the business professionals of tomorrow. Students here close their doors because they like their privacy. There are so many events at UCF that there something to do almost everyday. I myself am a big fan of the career expos that happen constantly where students can get internships, part time jobs, full-time jobs, and co-ops. The dating scene is great, there is a great female to male ratio. I met my close friends through group projects that we had to do in class. If I were awake at 2 am I would probably be playing Call of Duty with a couple friends or getting out of the nearby club. UCF has spirit splash as well as career expos every year on top of all the SGA sponsored events. UCF has movie nights and all sorts of "dry" events sponsored by imporant greek and other student organizations. Off campus there are bars, restaurants, movie theatres, and even a several clubs.

There's a nice little club on campus called the Fencing Knights, where you can learn how to swordfight the modern Olympic way. It's pretty fun and laid-back--although members attend tournaments around Florida, most of them aren't training year-round for Nationals in California. That's because the club is mainly for people who are learning about fencing for the first time, people who have had an interest in swords or fencing for a while but never had the opportunity to try it out. The coach has years of experience and volunteers his time with the club, organizing group lessons as well as lots of one-on-one instruction. It's harder than it looks: beginners get an unexpectedly intense workout, so attending the practices is a good way to avoid the famous "Freshman 15." New members often come in with their roommates or neighbors; trying out a unique sport such as fencing is a great way to meet new people (or at least impress your friends).

There are literally hundreds of organizations on campus. Any student should be able to find something that he or she wants to be involved in. And if not, it's not too hard to start a new organization. I know because I've done it. The group that I helped start is called The Arts. I'm the secretary. Three of my friends and I decided that we wanted to started a club that was focused on the appreciation of all forms of art. It's been a little difficult to make it official, but we've had a lot of support and already have a steady group of kids coming, even though we've only had two general meetings. I don't party so I can't say how that scene is, but it definitely is prevalent. If you like to party, it's always easy to find one. But if you don't, it's easy to avoid it. Since UCF is so big, it's easy to meet new people and make friends.