University of Central Florida

« See more reviews of University of Central Florida

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

There are so many different things you can hear about the typical stereotypes of all colleges and in my opinion, they can be both true and false. As for UCF, some of the main ones are that we are a party school, “Under Construction Forever”, and that everyone can get into this school. Looking into the party stereotype, I think that this fits into all colleges. There will always be parties and kids going to clubs and bars no matter the location. Orlando does offer many diverse and fun places to party and hang out and with so many attending students; it is no wonder that it is a stereotype. I think it also depends on the type of person you are. I am not a typical girl to go out and party at all and I take my school work very seriously (I will have been on the President’s Honor Roll for 3 semesters now) so it is what you make of it. As for being “Under Construction Forever”, UCF is a newer university than some and so it is continually growing and building more and more. Although parking can sometimes be an issue this is a problem I have seen at many colleges. I like the fact that UCF is continually developing its campus to be the one of the most amazing campuses I have ever seen. Then there is the stereotype that UCF is an easy school to get into. When I first applied to colleges I actually applied to 6 of them and was accepted into every single one (even UF). I do not think that this stereotype is necessarily bad. This gives many different students the opportunity to come to an amazing school with an ever-growing undergraduate enrollment. UCF offers many majors and minors, which is also what makes it a popular choice for students. Obviously, with all the new incoming undergrads each year everyone knows this an amazing school to attend.

There are many a stereotype about UCF and its students, a number of which have been cleverly integrated into the university's abbreviated name, for exmaple: U Can't Finish, Under Construction Forever, or University of Cypress Failures (a popular high school in Ft Lauderdale). These stereotypes are incredibly untrue, along with whatever other stereotypes you might hear about the school. In fact, this a very diverse university with 60,000 students and counting. They are, because of the influx of students and rising admissions, almost perpetually building new edifices and the like on campus in order to accomodate these students. A prospective student might hear that UCF attendees are lazy and settled for this school. However, there are a number of top performers at this school (one of our alumni was actually able to receive the Rhodes scholarship to attend Oxford for graduate school, free of cost - a scholarship many schools and publications consider to be the most prestigous in the world). If there is any "stereotype" about UCF students its their overwhelming friendliness. While not everybody is an open book or constantly conversing, I have yet to try starting a conversation with someone and been met with disdain, disregard, or anything of that sort.

There are always alot of different stereotypes at colleges, but not all of them are true. There are stereotypes like bullying, and there are other stereotypes like how people behave/ act. Not all of the stereotypes are true, so dont believe everything you hear! For example, not all sorority girls are slutty, and not all frat guys are jerks. But of course there are the ones that are like that, just not every single one of them. I heard alot about bullying before I came to college and I have not had one problem with this issue in the past four years of colege. Also, college is not all about partying and getting drunk and hooking up with people, the academic part of school takes a good majority of your free time. College is a life experience and is only lived once.

As far as I'm aware, there are no real stereotypes concerning students at the University of Central Florida, for good reason--it's one of the most diverse campuses I think anyone could ever hope to see. For this reason, if there was a stereotype associated with the college or its students, it would pretty much automatically be inaccurate. The student body at a glance is made up of people of all ethnic backgrounds, and the extracurricular interests are just as diverse--for example, the football games are very popular at UCF, but so is the anime club. There's something for everyone here, and everyone is welcome, regardless of ethnic, religious, or other background.

There are quite a few stereotypes at UCF; the most notable of the two are the Frat kids and the stoners. To be honest, there is no generalization for "geeks" and "jocks", nor are there any for any members of a club or ethnicity really. However its very apparent who is a Frat/Sorority member and youll get to know them as they are very good at displaying their affiliated Greek life memberships. And as for the stoner, the truth is that they have become very common on all school campuses, and UCF is no exception. There is no single stereotype to UCF due to the nearing 60,000 students; its hard to put a single label on all of us. Everyone adds something to the table.

Both regionally as well as across the nation, the stereotype of UCF students is that all we care about is partying, not being serious about our studies. While it is true that according to one survey UCF is among the lowest-ranked schools in terms of average hours spent studying per student, I feel that this does not provide an accurate account of the entire student body, not taking into consideration those who spend a considerable amount of time hitting the books, like myself. Whatever method was used in that research case, it would seem unreasonable that it reached a sizable portion of the 55,000+ students that attend the University of Central Florida.

According to Playboy's 2011 list of the Top Party Schools, The University of Central Florida is ranked number nine. This generalization cannot be applied to all students at UCF, especially the majority who work extremely hard to achieve their academic goals. UCF is known to throw outrageous events, such as; Spirit Splash, Homecoming concerts and comedy nights that feature A-list celebrities, and Pegasus Palooza. But, we are not limited to the fun events that unite UCF and bring us together in celebration, rather, we are united by our creed, which values integrity, scholarship, community, creativity, and excellence.

Students at THE University of Central Florida tend to be perceived as transfer students from community colleges with no passion for school tradition. However, this is far from the truth. While many of the 60,000 students who are currently enrolled at UCF are transfer students, thousands of individuals, aged from 18 to 23, live on or very near campus and have a true connection with the university and its traditions. This fine university is also perceived as one of the nations top 10 party schools. This stereotype is very true for many students and quite untrue for students with extreme academic priorities.

Some of the stereotypes given to the student's at the University of Central Florida is that everyone is dumb or notsmart enough to get into anywhere else. This is due to our school being the second largest in student population that it allows for many poepl to get in. I find this stereotype to be far from the truth our school has one of the up and coming in engineering programs within Florida and also has the top hospitality management school in Florida. These colleges would not be succesful if not for the smart and remarkable students within them.

UCF is such a large school (3rd largest in the country) with 50,000+ students, so trying to describe its students using one stereotype such as Jocks or Geeks would not be fair nor do it justice. I have friends that range from sorority chicks to hard core engineer nerds and everything in between. But what I have learned at UCF is that you are never alone. Whatever "click" or personality type you are, you will undoubtable find someone like you. Friends are easy to come by.