University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

The question should actually be: If you could go back in time and talk to yourself as a high school senior, knowing what you know now, what wouldn't you tell yourself?! After being in college for almost two years now, I have learned so much about school and life in general that I thought I already knew as a senior in high school. It is because of my immaturity and ignorance (for lack of a better word) as a high school senior, that I missed out on some amazing experiences in college. The first thing I would tell my younger self, is to get my head out of "my own little world" that I lived in and open my eyes to the suffering and hurt in my community. Just because I am out of high school, does not mean my community service endeavors should stop when I receive that diploma. In addition, I would encourage my former self to apply for every scholarship that I come across, no matter how least likely the chances are. As an aspiring young professional, every little bit of assistance helps move you that much closer to your dreams and goals.

While attending the University of Cincinnati I have learned many things that will be valuable for me in my everyday life from now for the rest of my life. The first thing that I learned when arriving at college was how to survive on my own without my mom always being around to do things. You quickly have to become responsible and make yourself do things that you might not always feel like doing. The main thing you have to do is get out of bed and get to class, because if you miss class you miss a lot of important things. I also have a job at the library on campus, and the second thing I learned was how to balance everything. I have to balance class, homework, my job, and some exercise thrown in there too. This can also be considered time management which is another important thing that I have learned. The most important thing that I feel I have learned is learning to meet new people and make new friends. A big part of life is the connections that you have with people, and that all starts with the people that you meet in college.

The best advice i could give students about finding the right college is choosing the college that fits your needs. Choose a school that is big enough to where you are able to participate in activities and find people who are interested in what you're interested in. Also, choose a school with the kind of academic programs that you want to be in. You should research the school's you're interested in and the types of activities and programs that they offer so you are getting the most out of your money, now that the cost of universities is becoming more and more expensive. I think that making the most out of your college experience means that you should get involved as much as possible. Studying abroad is really important and gives you a great grasp on what the world is like and gives you a new perspective, so I think that's the most important thing you are offered during college. Make the most out of everything you do, and make sure you get the most out of what you're going to pay for to attend whatever university you choose.

First, I would visit as many campuses as the student desires. You can't get a good feel of a particular college setting if you are not there to experience it personally. If the school appeals to the student academically and socially, the student should visit that campus and tour as much of it as possible. Of course, other things need to be considered before choosing, such as the cost and location. Once the college has been chosen, you must get involved. Academics come first, and school work should always be the top priority. But, there is a good amount of free time outside of the classroom which should be utilized by getting involved, meeting new people, and learning new things. The people you become friends with at college are often your closest friends for the remainder of your life. Parents, help your students research and find as much financial aid as possible. College costs are tremendous and add up very quickly, but there are many places that offer applications for scholarships and grants, particularly online.

I would visit the schools that you are thinking of applying for as early as possible. I'm a tour guide at my school, and the earlier you visit the school, the less people you will have with you on your tour. Most tour guides love talking about their school, and if you are in a smaller group you will learn more because the tour will be more tailored to your individual needs. You will find out more information about the school that can help you in deciding what school you want to spend the next four to five years of your life at. It's not all about the schools academics. You grow intellectually, as well as emotionally at college. You want to make sure that you choose a school that has an environment that you will thrive in. For example, do you want to live in a big city or small city? Both have great schools, but they offer many different extracurriculars. I researched colleges, and then went and visited only those that were on my list. It was a very easy decision for me because I knew right away where I felt at home.

Try to find a school that you are going to feel comfortable at, whether that comfort is based on financial or academic reasons. Don't go to a school for simply social reasons or sports. There has to be room for academics or else there is no point in going. My best advice would be if you want to play hard, you also need to work hard. It's best to know when the time for socializing is and when the time for studying is. Unfortunately this mostly comes with experience and is dependent upon the individual's major. As starting freshmen in a highly competitive program it is easy to over-reacted towards school work and spent a lot of time on it. This might be a good approach until you are comfortable with the academia environment but at the same time you do not want to get burned out. It is sometimes even more helpful to take a break from work than you might think. Overall the best way to deal with the stress of a new school and the new environment is to take it one day at a time knowing that the stress is only temporary.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as I high school senior I would tell myself to focus on my studies, listen to people I have grown to trust and don?t give in to peer pressure in order to fit in. It is so easy to give in to the temptation to take it easy during your senior year. I would tell myself keep working hard, push yourself and strive for excellence. Always work hard in order to put yourself in a better position to receive scholarships to defer from college loans. I would tell myself to listen to people I trust, instead of disregarding their opinion in order to have things I want but don?t really need. Understand that when they tell you something it is because they love you and want to keep you from making mistakes. Most importantly, I would tell myself judge people according to who they are right now, and not who they say they are going to be. Sometimes despite the best intentions people are not able to change. I would tell myself always have fun, but find a good balance between work and fun.

THE ADVICE I WOULD GIVE MYSELF IS TO STUDY HARD AND KEEP FOCUSED IN SCHOOL BY FINDING OUT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IN LIFE AS SOON AS YOU ENTER HIGH SCHOOL. TAKE THE TIME TO REALLY COMPLETE YOUR WORK ON TIME EVEN IF THINGS OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL CAN MENTALLY GET TO YOU AND THROW YOU OFF FOCUS. STUDY MORE ONCE YOU GET HOME FOR ANYTHING YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH. ASK MORE QUESTIONS TO TEACHERS AND HOW TO GET HELP IF YOU NEED MORE IN A SUBJECT. GET TUTORED IF YOU NEED TO. GET TRAINING ON THE ACT/SAT TEST BEFORE YOUR SENIOR YEAR. MAKE AN EXAMPLE FOR OTHERS WHO MAY BE NEEDIN HELP IN GETTING WITH A STUDY GROUP OR FORMING ONE. TRY TO STRIVE TO YOUR HIGHEST POTENTIAL AND STAY POSITIVE. FIND OUT IF YOU CAN SHADOW SOMEONE AT A POTENTIAL COLLEGE YOUR INSTERESTED IN. TAKE A TOUR AND VISIT ONES LIKE. REQUEST INFORMATIOIN OR BROCHURES AND RESEARCH THE COLLEGE AND TEACHERS BEFORE YOU APPLY. FIND OUT WHAT IT TAKES TO GET INTO THE COLLEGE OF YOUR CHOICE. YOU MAY WANT TO TAKE PRACTICE COURSE ON COLLEGE WORK IN THE SUMMER IF YOU CAN.

Knowing what I know now about the college life and making the transition I would tell myself as a high school senior to do some personal development. Find who you are before you transition into a college freshman and tell your mother to release her hold on you as a child becuase when a mother holds on to you she spoils your, therefore you do not know how to live without being dependent. When you are dependent you become very scared as to what to do next and you will find yourself lost as to what to do next. As far as being a college freshman I would tell myself to find one woman that is very intelligent and talk to her if you need a girlfriend. Females that do not have a good head on their shoulders will mess up your time management and thought process. Lastly, I would tell myself to really consider the college that you choose because this is an investment in your life, so make sure your money is spent correctly. No one is liable for your actions except for you and just know you must apply yourself to supply your wealth.

I admitted i was one of those students who didn't do their work. In the beginning of the year, I didn?t put much effort in doing my homework. I guess, I felt over confident in myself since most of the things we learned were review. But then the bad habit was keep carrying on from one semester to the next and the evidences were slowly popping up on my test grades. From my experiences, I?ve learned that in order to practice what one has said one will do, one must do the task immediately instead of stalling by saying the homework can be done the next day. Paying attention in class is the first step. By obtaining the basic information about the topic, I was able to finish my homework in a less amount of time. Good notes taking during lectures are also helpful because it helped to understand more about the topic. I prefer to use the book when I don?t understand the topic. You should use the book only as a reference because there are some materials or short cuts the teacher would tried to teach you that?s not in the book.