University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

If I had the option to travel back in time to discuss my current status with my high school self, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships. Upon graduating from my high school, I ended up with what I thought was a fairly decent amount of scholarship money. Little did I know that it would take a lot more of where that came from in order to satisfy UC's growing tuition costs. I am the first in my family to go to college, and my parents are only high school graduates. We make due with what we have, but sometimes it can get hard. If I could confront my former self, I would tell him to save money like crazy. All of that money from the high school part-time job would have been put into a savings account at a local bank. I would also tell him to purchase all of his books online, as textbook prices and other supplies often cost more than seven hundred dollars per quarter. However, the most important thing to say would probably be that he should join a club as soon as possible. It will help in the long run.

Well if i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior and knowing what I know now I would some advice for myself. Well the first thing that I would say to myself is that you have to take your school work very seriously and that you should not just be playing around. I would also tell myself that during the first year of college, get involved in something. You don't want to go through college and not have gotten involved with some kind of activity. Second thing I would tell myself is that you need to take all the important and necessary coursework during the first two years of school. The third thing I would tell myself is that you need to take as many classes as you can, because even though your advisors don't think it would be a good idea for sophormors and freshman to take alot of class but you really need to. Another thing, is that you need to do workstudy because it is very important and it can get you the experiences you need within your major. Overall just have fun but stay focus and study.

My college experience has been so much more than the academic classes that I signed up for. It is difficult to describe how much of my 1st year of college was about life lessons than the academic lessons that I thought would be my major focus. Learning how to live with others, following a budget , and meeting the demands of college classes was truly skills that have become invaluable to me on my life journey. Learning to make the best choices, even through they may not be the most appealing, is always challenging to me personally. I try to remember that I can choose my own life's direction. All of us have challenges to our learning, but how you approach the problem will make the difference in the outcome. My college experience continues to challenge my love of learning and the ability to grow in the process of today's demanding and ever changing society. I feel fortunate that I have had the opportunity to attend college and have found my experience to be much more valuable than just 100 or more hours of classes.

For Parents: Make sure you talk to your child about what they want. Find out what exactly it is that they are looking for in a school. A big University isn't for everyone. Some students like small class sizes and more attention from teachers and do better like that. A student will do better in an atmosphere that they are comfortable in. So make sure your decision is what your child wants and what is best for them. Also COST, chose a school that offers financial aid and is affordable for your students. Encourage your child to apply for scholarships because the help take some of the stress of college costs. Also make sure that while your child is away at school, you offer advice and always give support. But don't hover, they are away at college and its not necessary to know your childs every move. Give them their space, but always make sure your are there for them when they need you. Care packages always come in handy, and when they come home, make their favorite meals!! Thats always something to look forward too!!

"Randi, you're coming to an extreme, new step in your life. I'm not going to lie, it's not easy. But there are certainly ways to make it easier. First of all, give it time. Don't get discouraged immediately and want to run back home. Everybody is experiencing the same thing, but you'll get through. GET INVOLVED! We didn't do this our freshman year the first time around, but this time, we will, and it will be awesome!! Do anything you can to meet new people, it completely changes your college experience! Stay focused though! You'll have time to have fun, but there are certainly times that studying is necessary. You're paying a tons of money to better yourself, don't throw it away. Keep your goals in mind, remember who you want to be and achieve it! Don't cave in to others, stay true to yourself and you'll find success. Most of all, don't wish it away. It may become stressful at times, but these will be the best years of your life, and someday you will want them back. So make it everything you can!"

At the University of Cincinnati, I am doing things I never imagined while getting such a great education. My professors are helpful, and I have even found interest in my European Civilization class, though history is my least favorite subject. Through CCM at UC, I was able to continue my love of dance in a modern dance basics class this past quarter. I am confident that in my two majors, Psychology and German Studies, I am gaining insightful experiences through my classes and in the clubs related to them. I have never had such a convenient way to give volunteer services, and so I have joined the coed service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega, as well as being a mentor. I am living on the Honors floor in my hall, and I am surrounded by fun, social people around me who care about their education as much as I do. Overall, UC is a school that will prepare its graduates for a career or for grad school through opportunities in research, internships, or co-ops, and so I am confident I will get where I want to be in 2014.

When looking for the right college make sure that it has the right field that the student wants to get into. It is important that you look for a college that is the right size in order to have more or less interaction with the professors. Personally, with having more interaction with the professor you get things done the way they want, which will reflect upon the grade that you do receive in class. The clearer the message the better it is heard and understood. Also, to make sure if you want to live far away and are willing to make that sarcrifice to consider that you won't always be able to come home whenever you want. As for making the most of the experience, give yourself some time to relax. There will always be time to study, read, and do homework. Finding the time to relax and ease the stress to enjoy your life overall is what is important. Do hang out with friends and attend a parties. Though, make sure you have enough information on every college you want to attend in order to make the best decision.

I would tell myself to not be afraid of filling out scholarship essays in December before Christmas break- because that time definitely came in handy. I applied to 19 schools and was accepted by 18. Knowing what I know now, I would have taken tour of those schools, made that list smaller and applied maybe to 4 schools that offered programs I was interested in. If possible, I would do an over night or weekend stay at the school I wanted to attend. You really get to see how a school really is when someone is not giving you a tour. I would also tell myself to be wiser with money. Whether my money comes from a job, loans, tuition reimbursement, refunds, etc. - SAVE IT! As a young adult I saw any money as the opportunity to treat myself and my family, because I grew up low income. Knowing what I know now, I would have saved at least 25% of every bit of money I acquired. I could have used that money for a car, for Grad school, for a house, and to enjoy myself. The last thing I would tell myself is to HAVE FUN!

I have not experience college much yet, I've just started. What I have experience for now is that it is very hard to be a college student such as understanding the work or how to get through it. It seems like college and high school are two different types of education. High school is more understanding, the teacher break down the methods to help understand more at a slow pace, while in college it is very hard to understand because at times the teacher do go a very fast pace and gives more work assignments actually random assignments that I haven’t heard the teachers speak about. I understand the college life is different than high school, but I am starting to get use to have loads of homework, but I can see how college will help me in the real world. College is difficult, but the real world is even more difficult. College is very valuable because I want to achieve my goals and have a career that I really want. Once I have my career, I would be really happy that I went to college to help achieve my goals.

Out of my few days, weeks, and months that I have been in college I have learned that being by yourself, and being able to take care of yourself, is not as hard as it seems. I am going to a university five and half hours from my hometown and i have proven myself by getting good grades and making unbelievably great friends. I have met incredible people who help me out in my times of need, much like a brother or sister, and my grades show that I can do anything I want and do well at it. The best part is that the university I go to was not even my number one pick. I really wanted to go to the University of Pittsburgh, but there selection process is very strict and I did not get in, I did get in to a rival school, the University of Cincinnati. I learned to put similarities together with my number one choice with a rival school and eventually came to love the school that is the University of Cincinnati. I have learned so much from the college process and attending school miles away. But the best is, I Love it!