University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

Since I worked at the newspaper I met with a variety of different groups on campus, but if it weren’t for my job at there I probably would not have been exposed to too many different groups of people at Delaware. For the most part every minority group keeps to themselves, and most African-American students live at Laird Campus which is distant to the main part of campus. The typical Delaware student is upper-middle class and white from the North East. It is hard to say who would feel out of place at Delaware because there seems to be a niche for any students, but definitely if you are not white and straight you are in the minority. Most students wear jeans, t-shirts and sweats to class. There is no need to dress up to any class at Delaware unless you are doing a presentation that requires you to wear nice clothes. Delaware has a reputation of being apathetic toward politics. There is little activism, besides a crazy guy known simply as “The Preacher” who stands outside Parnell Hall and claims most of us are going to Hell.

I founded Secular Student Alliance my sophomore year for non-religious students and we worked together with religious groups to sponsor and advertise joint events and programs. UD is generally liberal and not overly political in general. There was some intolerance among some students, perhaps a reflection of an upbringing without many minorities, but UD in general is tolerant of other views and beliefs. There are few minorities so they usually band together, but there is a good number of racial and ethnic minority student clubs. Most students come from upper middle class families in Mid-Atlantic suburbs, and most students are well-off financially. UD students usually dress casually to class and around campus; even pajamas sometimes.

I was not involved in any groups on campus aside from different intermural sports, if that counts. Most students are in sweats during early morning and afternoon classes, but there are those few that are always dressed up. Different types of students definitely interact. Four tables in the dining hall: 1= group of girl friends, 2= group of boys on same hall, 3= friends from high school all going to UD, 4= mix of boys and girls. Most students at UD I think are from out of state, the NJ, NY, PA and MD area. Middle class financial backgrounds to upper middle class I would say are present. Students are for the most part politically aware and active, some more than others. I believe students do discuss how much they will earn one day.

For the most part, I interacted primarily with the white student body. The african american students were mainly housed in the Christiana towers and therefore it created an invisible barrier between the students. More integration may have been helpful as it may have "expanded my horizons;" but of course where people live is by choice. Most UD students are from the east coast and despite some small differences (mainly in accents) we were all the same. People from Boston really aren't that different than New York, Philly and D.C. Most financial backgrounds were middle-upper middle class in nature. Most students were apathetic towards the political process and not much talk about future earnings.

Many of the students are involved with the University. Whether this be through Greek life, an athletic team, a National Student Organization, volunteering, working for the University, or performing internships with professors. The majority of students are from America, are in-state, Caucasian, and are very accepting! I love meeting students from other countries and learning about their culture. For the most part, students wear jeans and boots with North Face jackets to class. Guys go to class in casual wear more than girls. In the dining hall, there is certainly NOT a Mean Girls scene where everyone is divided into clicks. Everyone is interspersed, possibly making new friends!

Most students are white, from middle-upper income households and are from PA, NJ, NY, DE or MD. If you're a minority, you might have a harder time finding other people in your minority. But, there are a lot of student associations and I think people are accepting. As for LBGT acceptance, Delaware was rated 4.5 out of 5 in the LGBT-Friendly Campus Climate Index by Campus Pride. Haven, the LGBT group is one of the largest student organizations on campus. Students are somewhat apathetic and care mostly about grades, social lives and groups their involved in. I think any type of student can find a group of people they fit in with because it's such a big campus.

UD is a semi-diverse campus, but mostly made up of white students. I think a gay student might feel out of place but I think most students feel like they belong. Most students wear jeans or sweats and sweatshirts. Or you see girls in UGGs, leggings, and their NorthFace jackets, which I think is the unofficial uniform of any college girl. Not me however. I think different types of students interact in class, but outside not really. Most UD students are from Delaware, New Jersey or Eastern P.A. Upper middle class seems to be pretty prevalent around UD. I see a lot of Chanel. I haven't really heard many students talk about how much they will earn one day.

I felt there were plenty of groups to make everyone feel comfortable on campus regardless of their race, sexuality, religion, etc. And if a group didn't exist, UD encouraged students to create it. I think anyone would find a niche at UD. I'd say the majority of UD students are from Delaware, NJ, and NY but I knew plenty of Bostonians and some people from other states and countries as well. Financially I'd say most students come from middle class backgrounds although you will find your affluent and also working class kids. Politically I'd say, as with most colleges, it is predominantly left, although again, I knew right wing students also.

The student body here isn't very diverse. It is mostly Caucasian and Asian ethnicity wise. The student body can be considered diverse is other ways though. There are over 300 student organizations here ranging from various political groups, to LGBT groups, and sports clubs. There is something here for virtually anybody. For regular campus wear, most people dress casual-in sweatpants and a hoodie. The dining halls here can get a little crowded and people usually dine with friends. The financial background prevalent here is mostly upper middle class. The student environment here is pretty laid back and chill.

The school is about 84% white, and i'm assuming judeo/christian. There are other races and religions here too, but the majority i'm sure are WASP like. An out of place student might be someone who doesn't like young american culture. Dining hall tables - athletics/greek life/ minorites / non-greek partiers/ (non partiers maybe). Most UD students are either from delaware or NY, NJ, PA, MD area, and maybe 1 from each state. Most backgrounds are upper middle class. Some are politically active, and you might call them over active because they are closed minded. Money isnt really talked about for the future.