University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

UD had everything: a winning football tradition, great places to eat in town, fun bars (although some since then are gone), academic programs, several extracurriculars, life-changing study abroad programs, an independent student newspaper, a variety of on-campus eateries and proximity to Philly, Baltimore and the Delaware beaches. My advice to all in-coming Blue Hens is get involved! join clubs, look into Greek life, go to sport games, go to lectures, join political or religious clubs, and do a study abroad program. One bit of advice though: get knowledgeable, learn everything you can about UD before coming, whether it's your degree requirements, student government, places to eat, places to take your parents, what dorms you'd prefer, where important offices or departments are, etc. The more you know ahead of time, the less lost and overwhelmed you'll be when you arrive.

I studied abroad in Australia/New Zealand during the winter session of 2006 and it was by far the best experience of my life. Not only did I learn a lot and see an amazing part of the world, but I met and became friends with people that I know I will be friends with forever. It was also a great experience because coming back and starting the spring semester I had made 35 new friends and there was atleast one of them in everyone of my classes. It was great to know more people around campus and the bump into people everywhere I went. I am the strongest advocate of UD's study abroad program, and I wish that I could have experienced it more than just twice. I do not feel it should be a graduation requirement to study abroad, but I believe everyone who is interested should take full advantage of what UD has to offer because it is very unique and unforgettable.

University of Delaware is not what I expected from a typical college. There are many support programs that help students meet their need academically and socially. Many of my professors and councilors have stressed the importance of networking. They also give advice on how to be successful in college . University of Delaware also has a program called FYE (First Year Experience), which is a class that helps freshmen learn more about their majors. University of Delaware has many resources to help students be successful including writing centers and many tutoring opportunity. I thought most colleges were less interactive with students.

The University of Delaware offers a wide variety of majors and areas of study. Ranging from majors in Art or Psychology to majors in Biochemistry or Animal Science to majors in International Business or Political Science, there is a wealth of possiblities to appeal to the diverse interests of all UD students. Additionally, UD offeres a multitude of extracirriculuar activites, including intramural and club sports, various clubs and organizations, and volunteer and research opportunities. There is something to appeal to the interests and passions of all students at UD.

Compared to other schools that I know of, the University of Delaware has many strong Resident Student Organizations (RSOs) that are active all year round and want to positively impact our communities. We are not too big, not too small in school size and make up almost the whole city of Newark. Football and other athletics is very powerful here, but two things that I've enjoyed about my school the most so far include the brand new Laird campus; which looks like it's for royalty and my many opportunies as an intern and undergraduate researcher.

What's unique about the University of Delaware is that unlike most schools today that only off a set curriculum based on your major, you are able to build up your major yourself by having a wide variety of classes that best suit the individual. This allows students to graduate with skills that are unique to one another, and as a result graduates from this school offer even more skills to use within their field than those who only had a set degree process. This makes University of Delaware students have an advantage over other graduates.

Within just a matter of months, the University of Delaware has become my home away from home. I believe that this university is different compared to all other schools because no one else can compete when it comes to the campus, the people, and the comfort level of University of Delaware. I usually get homesick when I am not around my family, however, I have yet to feel this way while being at Delaware. I know I am living in a safe environment, and whether it is the students or teachers, I know I have people I can turn to.

There are several things that are unique about Delaware. Its location places it within close distance of Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Baltimore and New York City. Strong academic programs in the arts and sciences as well as hard sciences set it apart from other Universities. (I am a political science and history major and would just like to brag a little bit about how Delaware's own Joe Biden was a graduate.) Overall this is a great school with academic programs and a location which set it apart from many Universities.

My shcool has a very comfortable setting along with a great variety of student activities. Every night there is something to do, from movies to concerts to parties. As far as academics go, most professors have help sessions to assist students and teach with very unique approaches. For example, my chemistry professor has a help session every day held by himself and his teaching assistants, and he even has a handwritten guide to his course. It's almost like he has the notes written out, all we have to do is study them.

To begin with, the campus is simply beautiful. The Green, which is the central part of the University, is teeming with flowers, tall trees, and fountains. The students here are also generally fair and nice. I have never had an issue with any kind of bullying and name calling. The classes are generally small, with about twenty to thirty students in a class. We have great athletics and our students have great pride in the school. In short, the University of Delaware is a great school that offers alot to everyone.