University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

They claim to have this huge commitment to the environment but really there is so much more they could be doing. Also, the dining halls aren't very good. They have very limited option for vegetarians and almost nothing for vaegans. It is frustrating because if you live on campus, you MUST have a dining plan... Unfortunately, dining plans are really expensive--about $3500 for the year. Also, there is very little support for theater for undergraduates. For a school with such an amazing graduate acting program, you would think they would support their undegrads more.

I am receiving two four-year academic scholarships, for which I am extrememly grateful. However, I changed my major during my sophomore year and will require a fifth year of undergraduate study. All scholarships offered by the University of Delaware are limited to a maximum of four years. Since I will not receive my scholarships for a fifth year, I cannot afford to attend UD for a fifth year. Instead, after graduating in May 2011 with original major, I will transfer to an in-state school to complete my fifth year and obtain my second major.

There are two things that I find very frustrating about my school. One is that it is very spread out. The campus is big, and it is a walking campus for the most part, so getting from class to class can be tedious at times. The bus system is organized fairly well, but sometimes if you're running late it can be a big problem. The second thing is that the classes are hard, I found the majority of my classes challenging. It is a big adjustment from high school going into lectures and having grades wholly based on exams.

I think the most frustrating thing about my school is the scheduling process. They change the computer programs frequently, and the system for scheduling gets changed with it. Also, they have a lot of courses that are only available certain times of the year but yet they only let a small amount of people into the class at a time. This makes it difficult for people to get the courses that they need in order to graduate. I have also had a hard time getting in touch with advisors to help with scheduling.

Coming from a small, private college I find the lack of professor/ student interaction troubling. I have had emails, even questions about grades, completely ignored and when going to office hours I sometimes feel the professor is annoyed that they are required to help someone. This does not apply for all professors and probably would not be as frustrating if I had started college that way and adapted, however I feel a professor should be more pleasent since their job involves working with students.

It was frustrating that my classes this semester did not have an online grading log set up. During the course of the semester I was never sure what my grade average was in any given class. I was able to see my final grades online at the end of the semester, but it would have been nice to know throughout the semester. My high school had an online log called "power school" which allowed teachers to post all test and quiz grades, which made it much nicer to keep up to date on progress.

The most frustrating thing about my school would definitely have to be the lack of diversity of campus. Many of the students are from middle-class and well-to-do families. Personaly, I love traveling, meeting new kinds of people, and experiencing new things. The lack of diversity on my campus does not let me fulfill these desires. The University of Delaware reminds me a lot of my home town, which is comforting in a way, but gets old quickly sometimes.

All of the things I find frustrating about my school have to do with finances. A four-year university if extremeley expensive for the average person and I feel that the university is very out of touch with this fact. I'm not eligible for need-based financial aid and that leaves me with very few options through my school. I am very willing to work hard for any scholarships or at a job, but my school doesn't offer enough opportunities.

I think that the most frustrating part of school is the finiancial aid aspect. It is very difficult to get financial aid and to speak to someone who is knowledgeable on how to get it and what you need to do in order to maintain it. They do not give you a enough time in order to figure out the situation. They are very quick to send you cancelation dates on enrollement but not very active in helping understand your situation.

The most frustrating thing about this school is registration and housing. When registration time comes it is a craze trying to get onto the site to get the classes you want or need. Sometimes I cant even get onto the site because there are so many people on at one time. Housing is also frustrating at times. When you dont get your first pick, trying to get into another location is difficult and takes patience.