University of Delaware

« See more reviews of University of Delaware

I wish I knew how many resources there are to help you academically. There are writing centers, teacher's advisors, academic clubs, and tutoring available - some at no cost - that can really help you earn the A. I also learned that there is a lot more to gain than just resume building in terms of extracurricular activities. Joining Student Government and playing a club sport and intramurals was the best decision I made. Doing just a little more research in what is available could have opened more doors for more friendship and opportunity than I already have.

I wish that I had known about all the amazing things that this school offers before I went there. Even after researching so much about the school there is still new things I learn about it everyday. There are so many unique classes, programs, clubs, activities, games, etc. offered at this school and its great to be apart of it all. Unfortunately, I missed a couple events and activities I would have loved to attend because not being aware of them. But fortunately, I have 3.5 more years to enjoy all the great activities I now know about.

I wish that I would had known how expensive it was. I understood that paying for out of state tuition was expensive but in the past year, the tuition has raised. I do wish that I received more financial aid. I found out once I was here that scholarships through the college are mainly offered to Delaware residents. I don't feel like this school is understanding to out of state students. I wish I understood that they do not offer scholarships to students with high GPAs and I have a 3.97 so I believe I deserve a scholarship.

I wish I had known more about the life adjustment before I began attending the University of Delaware. I went to the same school for fourteen years, lived in the same house my entire life, and had the same friends all throughout school. Suddenly I was in a new environment and I had to learn how to live a somewhat different life. I was no longer the one being a friend, I was the one trying to make friends. Most things I believed to be true were challenged, but in the end it helped me become a stronger individual.

Before I decided to attend the University of Delaware, I wish I had known the extent at which social life is valued on this campus. Although the majority of students here strive to do well in their studies and hope to make a name for themselves one day, academics are not taken as seriously as I expected them to be. If you do not "go out" on the weekends you are looked down upon as being a nerd or reject, by many. Although I am very social myself, I can imagine that some students feel uncomfortable because of this.

I wish I had known that all the kids here were more interested in drinking and partying every day of the week rather than academics. I wished I'd known that people here had daddy's credit cards and didn't understand the value of a dollar and seem appalled when you tell them you have to work because you support yourself in school. I wish I'd known that I should have just talked to a senior in my major as a Freshman since the academic advisors have no idea what they're talking about. The website Ratemyprofessor.com.

At the University of Delaware, there is a winter term that often frustrates students about what to do. More times than none, students chose to study abroad during this 2 month period yet it creates a large whole in parents' pocket. Students often chose to stay on campus and take a class or two yet are charged a great amount of money just for six credits inorder to help with graduating on time. Some students chose to be home for 2 months, yet it seems like a very long time...almost like a waste of time.

Before entering the University of Delaware, I was undecided as to what major I should chose. I wish I had known prior to enrolling that many of the majors I was interested in, such as nursing and elementary education, had tight schedules in order to graduate in four years. Due to the inflexibility of the requirements for some majors, there are limitations on what classes a student can take. My wish would have been to be aware of these restricitions before I was in college.

I wish I had known how hard it would be to concentrate in gigantic classes. Classes here tend to be in lecture halls with stadium seating, and most are taught with PowerPoint presentations. Needless to say, it's easy to lose focus and text or fall asleep in class when you know the professor doesn't care. I also wish I had known that it is not easy to make friends right away at a large school like this. You need to make an effort and get involved, but it can and will happen.

I knew that the campus is fairly big, but I wish that I knew the amount of walking needed when going to your classes. Being a person with a physical disability, walking long distances can be hard when you are in hurry and the shuttle buses need time to make it to each destination. Also, at times, I feel as though it is hard to find someone with the same ethnic background during events or social gatherings, although the University of Delaware is very diverse.