University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

The idea that everyone is Greek is not true. There are tons of other ways to get invovled and most students are not Greek, though the Greek community does basically run and own student government and is what one might call "powerful." Yes, Gainesville is a party town, but you don't have to take part or you can take part at your leisure. The University Police Department has recently seriously cracked down on underage drinking which makes partying or drinking at clubs much riskier for undeagers. UF is definitely all about the sports. Again, just like with other stereotypes which are semi-true, you don't have to go to football or basketball games, to softball, swimming or gymnastics. But if you want to check out all the sports teams that absolutely dominate the SEC and rock the country you totally can. Athletes are given special privileges: they register for classes first, for one. But most people at UF, even if they're not that into sports to begin with, come to love Gators sports. It's a part of being a member of the UF community and it unites all students as well as the student body with the vast complex of Gator alumni who come back game after game with their families. Don't expect a nice relaxing day out on campus on any Saturday football games day. The campus is literally swarmed (in a good way) with alumni and students. It's a sea of orange and blue and a grand old time.

The actual Greek life here is a lot less than you would imagine, numbers wise at least. There are a ton of opportunities to be in non-social sororities and fraternities. Those groups are catered to your interests, your major, or your talents and they are a great way to meet people like you. The 'entitled' issue is hard to touch on because I think all of the students at UF know that we are at the best college in the state, that we have great accolades on campus (awesome sports, well-established professors, and an endless list of opportunities). I don't think we are cockier or have more pride than any other college but I do think that Florida students know they are getting the best opportunity that university life has to offer in Florida. As for drinking - a lot of people do it. That is undeniable. But not everyone does and there are ways to have fun without alcohol. It's all part of whichever niche you want to be in. But we do, absolutely, stay OBSESSED with our sports teams!

The party school stereotype is and isn't accurate. On the one hand, there is a large amount of partying in particular on football gamedays. Alcohol and clubs play a significant part in much of the social scene. That being said, party school seems to imply that there isn't a serious side to UF. UF absolutely has strong programs with good reputations with grad schools and employers (something a party school couldn't easily say). The students' reputation for being stuck up around the state relates to UF's standing vs. the rest of the state. The fact is, UF has harder admissions standards than the rest of the state, that obviously leads to possibly being stuck up and possibly being perceived as stuck up.

Not at all. There is a wide range of activities and clubs. While the Greeks do control some aspects of the campus, life is totally normal without being a Greek. There also people from every walk of life and one does not feel pressure to fit in as most accept you for who and what you are. It is a very liberal campus, yet it is balanced by conservatives, keeping things balanced. The stereotype of Florida students being huge sports fans is mostly true. Campus comes alive with excitement and spirit on game days. Football is the main sport of worship, but others are appreciated too.

Some. Many more people on this campus than on others have scooters, and because of the warm weather, we wear flip flops more frequently than others. Gainesville as a city is known for being very bike-friendly, many people take advantage of that. UF is also known for being a big "party school", and we 3 recent National Championships under our belt, many of us feel proud of our athletic teams. However, the student population is so big that we just can't all be grouped together, and these stereotypes are simply the most visible ones.

Let's be honest, I've seen more jean shorts in their "southern" towns than I ever have here. Also, I know a lot of very gorgeous girls at UF, so that's a liiiiiie! And there are a lot of students with Asian backgrounds, but there are also a lot of other ethnicities and that is what enhances UF. We are not cookie cutter. I didn't go to Auburn because I wanted diversity in my college experience and that is what UF is all about!

No, not at all. Most of my professors learn my name within the first few weeks. You have to introduce yourself and speak up in class but if you do that there is no way they won't know your name over the 5 mon. semester. Yes it is true that some classes are huge but you just need to do your research and find the classes that fit your comfort level. History is a great major to have smaller classes.

Yes. The first one, about being smarter, is true in many respects. UF is the hardest public university to get into in the state of Florida, and therefore has a smarter group of students. The IB stereotype, has been true in the past, but is starting to disappear. The university is starting to limit their acceptance numbers, and therefore not every high school IB student gets in.

Not at all. Ive seen maybe one person wear jorts and they were alumni! Not everyone is brilliant, and we definitely can have fun-with friends, gator sports, extracurricular activities, midtown, downtown, and SWAMP! The dorms are alright..not going to lie. And it never smells gross-that's just the rumors that FSU kids like to spread!

The sports stereotype is definitely true and we are damm proud of it. And about being stuck up, it is not true we are just a very spirited campus and we have a lot to be proud of. And yeah we are a party school!..but for the most part all of my friends and I know how to set time aside for school work.