University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

In the University of Florida are a large diversity of people . There are people from all nationalities and I personally dont think there any stereotype in particular

The stereotype is that the students are full of themselves and think they're the best. Stereotypes are never accurate.

The school revolves around football. Yes, all of Gainesville is blue and orange and full of gators.

UF students have are stereotyped as being smart. This is true.

The main UF stereotype would be that of a party-going, easy-going, lackadaisical student who loves sports. Yep, you’ve got it—a marketing major who is really into Greek life and going out and less into figuring out whether rationalism or empiricism is more valid. While this is very (and frustratingly) true of those who are prominent in Greek life (trust me, I’m a doctor…uh…former sorority girl), it is not the case for the overall UF population. While we don’t, on average, have the most innovative or quirky people, but most of the students here do care about getting a decent education. Plus, if you’re looking for a more artistic crowd, Gainesville has an, albeit hidden, interesting, hipsteresque vibe downtown and there are multiple organized art shows and the Hippodrome to keep even the most artistically inclined continually cultured. After dropping out of my sorority this year, I tried out for the Gainesville Fashion Week and made the cut to be able to walk for local designers. This will put me into contact with local photographers and designers, and so I find myself becoming somewhat part of that artistic culture. The artistic culture aside, it is pertinent to mention that the sports culture here is suffocating if you’re not into them (e.g. it took me what should have been a five minute drive fifteen minutes last night because of an influx of people to the basketball game), and you will soon become annoyed with the lack of parking if tailgating just isn’t your thing. But going out with all of your sisters/brothers for tailgating can be really fun (the personal lack of allure of sports was what took the fun out of it for me) because girls wear pins representing their respective sororities and the guys, well, host parties filled with free food and cheap beer. In this way it’s a definite American collegiate experience in regards to the overwhelming spirit for the Gators.

A common stereotype of the University of Florida is that all people that go here are in a frat and also like to party hard. This stereotype is has most likely been generated from the reputation UF got after the years between 2006 and 2008 when UF won two national championships in basketball and two national championships in football, UF's two biggest sports. Where this reputation may have been accurate during the year or two following these championships (and hey, who doesn't like to celebrate?), the University of Florida has put measures in place to put this stereotype to rest. Because of this, UF has in fact become a place where a diverse culture thrives and, honestly not one certain stereotype really stands out among the rest. If you come here, you will most likely find people who are like you, have the same interests, and who you enjoy being around. This is what I have found after being here for the past 4 years, passed on to my sister who was a freshman last year, and what I would pass on to you. Any day during the week you can walk through Turlington Plaza or the Plaza of the Americas in front of Library West and see cultural, religious, and social diversity. You will see people from places like Colombia, Korea, Russia, frats, and sororities. You will most likely see the Hare Krishnas who pass out cheap lunch everyday or Christians setting up a couch on the lawn. This lack of one certain stereotype at UF has indeed become a theme of its own.

The main stereotype typically applied to UF students is "party." That's not really an adjective, but UF is among the top five party schools in the nation, which makes people believe that all of us are frequent party-goers. While this is true for a lot of students at this school, and while we have an extensive Greek life, there are plenty of people who don't hit the party scene as much as would be expected. I, for one, hardly ever go out. And while that may make me a "social hermit," I have enough friends and good times to be able to have fun without hitting the parties every night. More importantly, the friends I have share the same ideas as I do. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want the stereotype to apply, that's definitely not difficult, but you can also avoid the stereotype and still have a good time. There are plenty of things to do on campus, such as open mic nights, dorm activities, movies, Gator nights, and simply being with great people. You don't have to fit into the party life, but if you want to, then feel comfortable knowing that you'll always have the option.

Judging from my experiences at the University of Florida, you have a mixture of many different stereotypes. While the Greek population is only a small percentage of students, it seems as though they have a dominant control over the university. For example, the Unite Party, which usually cleans house during election week, is essentially supported by the Greek party. This partnership ensures the party's success. In addition to Greek life, you have a significant portion of nerds. Because the University of Florida is one of the best public schools in the state of Florida, it is difficult to be admitted. Therefore, you will find a good number of studious kids at the university. Furthermore, you will find what I believe to be the largest portion of the population, the normal folk. I would describe these people as the average college student. They drink moderately throughout the week, may smoke weed or experiment with other drugs, and probably average a 3.0 GPA.

Everyone is a member of a Greek Fraternity or Sorority- False There are a lot of jocks on campus- True All of our sports teams are amazing- True There are a lot of Geeks on campus- Our school is home to a lot of intelligent individuals The food on campus is not that great- Definitely false Getting around campus is impossible- False, there are various ways to do so: The bus, SNAP, etc. Professors are mean and cold- Every professor that I have came across has been warm, inviting and willing to help me in any way that they possibly can. Campus life is not that fun- False. There are over 900 clubs and organizations at the University of Florida plus various activities on campus and in Gainesville on a daily basis. Our rivalries with other schools are serious: True Every class is huge- False. There are many small classes where you get one on one attention from a professor.