University of Hawaii at Hilo

« See more reviews of University of Hawaii at Hilo

For the past four years that I have attended University of Hawaii at Hilo, the greatest benefit that I had and the reason that this campus is the best destination for many undergraduate students is its availability to the students. For instance, I have the opportunity to meet with the professors instantly, and taking advantage of the resources that are offered in this campus--something that is really hard to attain in bigger campus due to great students enrollment and competitions for available resources. In addition, University of Hawaii at Hilo is located in a better destination suit for undergraduate students aspiring for greater acadamic success: Hilo town is small and less developed; therefore, there is few distractions that students recieve as opposed to student enrolling at bigger campus in city areas. Lastly, one of the biggest experience that I have in this campus is the experience of understanding different cultures from students coming from multi-diverse backgrounds. As a result, University of Hawaii at Hilo provides a better place for many undergraduate students, and it is up to the student to take advantage of the programs it offers, as well as the exotic adventures of Hawaii's Island.

I believe that students should look towards their interests. They should choose a school based on quality of learning in their field of their choice. The environment and location may also be a factor conducive to learning. One should choose a location based on how confortable they feel. Students should study things they are interested in, and follow dreams instead of just choosing something based on the financial gain. You only live life once, and you should learn what you want to learn. Students should try to get a good rapport with their teachers, and other faculty members. If you show you are willing to learn, then the less difficult the class will likey be for you. Never miss classes, and be enthusiastic to learn whatever they can. Education is a privilage and students should take advantage of it. Students should make sure to take the time to study, and be prepared. The only way to fail is to not care. If someone doesn't follow this they probably have their own selves to blame for their grades. A student with a disability should get help. There is no reason to struggle if there are ways to adjust to difficulties.

First of all college isn?t a joke. College is serious and should be considered a full-time job. It is meant to be strenuous and challenging for the betterment of the college student. It will help prepare you for your life that is to come. In order to ?succeed,? college must not be taken lightly. Second of all, parents and students must realize that they paid for it. Whether it be through taxes (federal financial aid), loans, scholarships, or out of pocket; you paid for it! You either paid for using money or your valuable time. School is not free and we are very lucky to have the opportunity to be educated. To find the right college parents and students should brainstorm what they enjoy doing by jotting it down on paper. They should then search using the many free online resources such as College Board for any college help. Sites like collegeboard.com can make finding a college, applying for college, and paying for college a whole lot easier. Free resources are out there and waiting to help you. Last, once you have found the right school, try and visit the campus and if possible interview students there.

I have recieved an education out of my college experience. I have gained knowledge and truly appreciate the information that my professors have passed on to me. I will take this wisdom and pass it on to every person that I meet along the way. I will share what I have learned and continue expanding my capability. I have had the chance to meet many unique individuals from all around the world and learn their cultures. I have had an experience of a lifetime. Not only do I enjoy the beautiful campus but I also love the friendly environment that I am constantly surrounded by every day. I must say I live in the most extraordinary place in the world. Hawaii has it all. From luxurious beaches to snow at the top of the mountains, you can take with you all that constantly surrounds you. It is a life changing exprerience that will change your view of life forever. This university is valuable because of its diverse surroundings, landscape, people, class availability, friendliness, cultures, and freedom. I wouldn't be the person that I am today If I had not been able to experience such an amazing University!

Your number one priority should be happiness, then health, next comes thinking about the future. Without enough sleep or taking care of yourself we both know your work suffers. It is true, being an excellent student has always been of high priority for you, but in the years to follow, you will learn to do your best work after you have learned to take care of your emotional and physical health. We live in a world that puts high expectations on everyone, everyone is put to the test and as we globalize and populate more and more, you might feel the need to ?keep up? in such a competitive world. You will grow to see clearly how the most important things in your life cannot be measured or reproduced accurately on a resume. The most important parts of your life will be the interactions and learning experiences you have with others, and the moments in which you are fully present. Never limit the expanses of your imagination when it comes to planning for the future, and always take each moment in stride, because each moment is not preparing you for the life you will have, it is your life now.

College is expensive. Now is a good time to jump on any scholarship and grants you can possibly get. I wouldn't recommend taking out loans unless it’s absolutely necessary. Most students take out loans and then graduate with a huge debt. They have a difficult time paying off these loans because there are not many jobs available. I wouldn’t want to be in debt before I have the money to pay it off. I would also recommend having a good support system to get you through college, like friends who have been there and can give you the best advice based on their experiences. Frequently check bulletin boards to find campus clubs, or start your own club, get involved in your student government, utilize student resources, and activities. Extracurricular activities are the best way to meet like-minded people. But don't forget to leave yourself time to do homework. Remember to try and not take on too much at once. People have told me that it’s very difficult to go to school and work part time as well. Also remember to take fun classes and enjoy yourself while you're there. College can be fun.

I have made a lot of transitions: transfering between universities, graduating from college to graduate school, and now another change in career. Because of this, I would tell my high school self never to be married to a path (I would probably preface this by saying something like 'Making active choices and following through on them is really important, but...). It is incredibly confusing figuring out how to be in the world, and the craziest thing is that once you've made it -- you know, you're thirty years old, you've got an exciting job that pays okay, you travel a lot, and you have a good family life -- you are still not sure if you went the right way. It is important to ask yourself 'what do I really want?' but, the truth is, we want a lot, and desires are fickle. Want things, choose them, and fight for them, but when they've been fulfilled, don't be afraid to make new choices, and take new paths You never know how your own process of self-actualization will manifest changes in your professional or personal life, but you can live knowing that life is not a destination.

Although you have had great teachers and counselors since you were in elementary who emphasized on the importance of being prepared for college, there will be a lot that you have to acquire on your own. Paying attention in High school classes is a lot different then the lecture based classes that you will be taking in your college years. Being able to pay attention will help you to better succeed in all of the advice that was offered by teachers and counselors in your earlier years, like such things as test taking. Another area that you should also focus on before you enter the whirl wind of college course is the question of what you would really want to be. Enrolling in interesting course is good, but not when you end up in college for more then ten years. Being in college is a commitment that you make to for yourself. It will be in your best interest to be ready for the experience. After the schooling is over, you will be the product of the university. But more importantly you will be able to achieve a lot more things in life then just a good job.

Transition from high school to community college; no big difference at all, right? Wrong! The experience that attending community college has given me is like no other. I was able to pick exactly what classes I wanted to enroll in and the times and days they took place. Community college has given me the freedom to be introduced to the "big college lifestyle" I will soon be living. I like that my school is small enough so you get to know everyone, both students and staff, but the credits from your courses can transfer easily to any 4 year school. You are able to connect with all teachers and build a relationship with them so they are able to help you do your best with your school work. Community college gives you the freedom and responsibility test that high school forced you to take. I am glad that i enrolled in community college before a 4 year school because I feel that it will prepare me more than going straight from high school to college. I reccomend community college to any high school senior as a stepping stone between high school and college.

Don't rush yourself! Coming out of high school I felt tremendous pressure to pick a major, decide on a career and commit to a specific life before I had even set foot on a campus. Allow yourself to explore the academic arena; I am pursuing my Masters in a subject that I knew nothing about when I began university. Most importantly, chose your major for yourself. Don?t listen if people question your choice, if you are passionate about it you will be successful. Many of my friends pursued degrees they thought would guarantee them a job and now regret not studying what they love. Live on campus your first year, or term at the very least. It makes it much easier to meet people. Talk to people in your classes, professors and students alike. Expanding your social circle or forming a social circle will greatly enhance your college experience. It feels very "safe" to stay within one familiar group but it also limits possibilities. Interact with people that are different than you, the growth that one undergoes at university extends well beyond the classroom.