University of Hawaii at Manoa Top Questions

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Auriona

I chose to go to UHM because I really wanted to attend a college where I knew I wouldn't know anyone but would still be able to make friends. Lets be honest, who wouldn't want to live in Hawai'i for at least four years?!

I wanted to study marine biology, and I couldn't really do that in the middle of a corn field in Illinois. Also, there are a lot of innovative labs and research opportunities here for internships and volunteering. The fact that it never gets below 65 degrees is really nice too!

Nancy

UH Manoa was originally my back-up school. I had applied to 5 other colleges, 4 of which I was not accepted into (funny thing was, I decided to go for engineering in those 4 colleges). In the other university I got accepted into, my parents did not approve of the major, and they would have to take out loans as tuition every year was over 30k. The fortunate thing about growing up in Hawaii is the in-state tuition. Although it has been raising at a quick pace over the last couple of years, because I was able to receive some financial aid at the same time, I had no need for loans at all (and I prefer it that way). After enrolling for about a year or two, my perception about UH changed. Of course, you will have times where you may thing other universities are more academically-challenging or may be more difficult to pass, but depending on what major you were going into, it's worth enrolling in Manoa. If you are interested in a business degree and are interested in staying in Hawaii, GO TO MANOA. Seriously, you will not regret it as you will already network with different business owners if you take certain classes and especially when you're in a business club! Also, the international business program is ranked top 20 in the world, so that is definitely something to think about, too, if you plan on working internationally! Take advantage of the opportunities Manoa DOES have rather than figuring out what Manoa doesn't offer :)