University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Top Questions

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

David

Disclaimer: reading about it is nothing like experiencing it for yourself. One of the first things people notice is the immense crowds. Yes, we have a lot of students. I am quite sure you will be caught off guard by that fact. You'll see a new face everyday, and it'll probably be of an origin other than yours. We have a huge international and minority student population. It's exciting because the real world will have people from every background, and U of I is perfect example. The sorority house artictecturhe is beautiful and worth a tour. If you can appreciate artwork, you'll enjoy the visual feast that is our campus. The landscaping is done nicely, and the scenery is one to enjoy on a regular day. Open your eyes and take it all in. U of I is in the middle of nowhere, but you would be able to tell that on campus. Even the areas "off-campus" are worth a visit. Downtown Champaign is fun-filled and surprisingly upbeat in comparison to campus town. It resemble and old town from the 60s with its vintage shops and effort to maintain the classic streetlight, cobblestone road feel.

Martin

A large school, but with intelligent fun students.

Heather

When I think of Illinois, I think orange and blue. Everywhere. If I'd have to tell someone who had never seen Illinois is that it's a college town with the university smack dab in the center. The quad is HUGE and had a rich history in the building on the quad. It's a "large" campus, but definitely not too large comparatively speaking. It's a place where there's so much to offer, that it's almost impossible not to fit in. It's a Big Ten school; proud of their academics, athletics, history, and campus itself.

Betsy

The University of Illinois is a school with unlimited options. There are over 150 different majors to choose from and over 1,000 clubs to get involved in. You can live in public or private housing, join a fraternity or sorority, or live in an apartment. The opportunities are endless. As far as a physical description of the University of Illinois goes: it's a big campus. It can take 10-20 minutes to walk to class from most dorms and apartments. The big brick buildings on the Quad are historic and hold tons of information that each student will learn over time. Depending on the time of the year, the Quad can be a gorgeous grassy area, full of frisbee players, or a winter wonderland where students have snowball fights and get back to their childhood.

John

The University of Illinois is a Big Ten school known for it's engineering, agriculture, and business programs. It has a student body of about 30,000 undergraduates and about 10,000 graduate students. UofI has academic programs in almost anything you can think, many of which are top ranked nationally. The campus is pretty large but you can get almost anywhere you need to within a 20 minute walk. The surrounding area, including campus, can be described as micro-urban, meaning it has a lot of qualities of city and small town at the same time. Some people might describe it as a party school, but what college isn't?

To someone who has never laid eyes on Illinois' campus before, it looks royal. All of the brick buildings and tall trees evoke an impressive atmosphere. Students can feel the Illini spirit in the air as they walk through the historic structures and sit in classrooms that generations of successful Illinois students have also sat in. The prestige and innovation at Illinois is truly one of a kind, and it's a great feeling to be a part of such a meritorious institution. The University of Illinois is a beautiful place, and the only way to truly experience its magnificence is to see for yourself!