University of Indianapolis

« See more reviews of University of Indianapolis

Your opportunities that are in front of you right now are endless. There are ways to get ahead and improve your chances right now. Remember that time is money. You've got to start working smart, dressing smart and make life happen instead of waiting for it to happen. First, you are determined and a hardworker. Don't settle for a simple minimum wage job. Don't make money for someone else. Use your enginuity to make money for yourself. Find ways that will make people want to give you their money. Diversify your portfolio of talents and income. Second, you have to dress smart. Ditch the t-shirt and move to a button down shirt. Decide to look like you are the future of business because you are. The way that people will see you will largely influence their willingness to associate with you and invest their time or money in you. Third, make life happen isntead of waiting for it to happen. Don't wait for the opportunity to present itself. Go out there and create the opportunity. The proactive approach will provide many open doors. Life is what you make it. Go out and make it happen.

My college experience has allowed me to grown not only as an individual, but also as a student and a well developed leader and mentor for others. By attending my university, I have been able to volunteer in many admireable organizations such as; College Mentors for Kids where we mentor at risk youth showing them the benefits of higher education, and also Peer Exchange where we are mentors and friends for peers at our university with a disorder on the Austism Spectrum. I have also been blessed to now be a Resident Assistant for the 2010-2011 academic school year where I will be able to mentor young women as well as my peers at my university as well as help introduce and inforce my universities values and rules. My overall standing as a high achieving student has led to my academic success and to my ability to give back to my community and to the university that I attend. I believe that by attending a university that is committed to Service for Education, I have been able to appreciate the education I have been blessed with and share that education with others as well.

I would say that taking tests like the SAT more than once is very important. Also, AP classes are very important because they prepare you well for college courses. I would recommend getting a job during your last couple of years of high school and save as much money as possible for college. I would also recommend to apply for as many scholarships as you can. I would say that reading is a huge focus in college and you had better be ready for a huge increase in reading assignments. Writing papers in college is also a huge aspect that was not focused on in high school as much so definately do your very best in your english classes because i think those were the most "blown off" classes in high school when they should not have been. Also take elective classes in high school that relate to your major, kind of like the AP classes. The most important thing is to prepare yourself for a huge amount of stress and stay away from potentialy stressfull situations and drugs and alcohol because you will just go off the deep end fast. College is much harder, and faster. BE READY!

I would strongly encourage myself to develope a much better sense of discipline and work ethic. I would also tell myself to apply myself in all areas of life, as it really really matters how much someone applies theirself so close to such a huge transition in life. Really, I would have lived my senior year in a completely different manner than what I had, but I would want high schoolers of today to learn from mine and many other college students' regrets. I would want them to actually listen to all the cliches of applying for as many scholarships as possible. Most of all, though, I would want them to listen to the wise words of the experience-hardened veterans of life: live your life to the fullest. There are so many opportunities right in front of you to live, and those are the experiences that will help you in college and later in life. I want these youths to happen to life instead of it happening to them. That's exactly what I regret everyday that I work my full-time job trying to get back into college. No drive and no plans means an undesirable future.

Do reasearch at least a year in advance. Decide if you want/need to stay in-state or go out of state. If possible, visit the college, talk to students, attend classes you want to take, and tour the buildings. Once you can narrow it down to a few colleges, go online and see what their students and others say about them. Ask about their professors, find out cost and financial aid availability and safety. You must be your own motivation. There is absolutely no time to slack off. Your best and hardest work is always needed in and out of class. You must also be able to judge when you can have fun free time and when you need to study. Finding a good place where you can study is essential! Take advantage of all the learning available to you. And maybe the most important: remember that you can have your whole life to party and date and do nothing if you choose, but your four years in college require the least possible distractions, and these carry hidden and visible distractions that can and do ruin college and life careers. Take college seriously!

First, I would advise the parents to provide support to their children while making a choice on a college. Sometimes teenagers need a little push in the right direction. Help the teenagers set up college visits and go with them. Showing interest in their schooling and helping them fill out forms will make the process less stressful. For all students, I recommend finding a college that best suits them. Try not to worry about how far away it is and how much their parents will miss them. Listen to others suggestions, but in the end make a decision based on what the student wants and needs to be successful and have fun. Begin early searching for the school best suited for the the student. While in college, I recommend the parents to continue showing support and be ready for many break downs. I suggest that all students do not procrastinate and balance their time between fun and school work. School work is important, but it is also very important to not be depressed by so much work that one forgets the importance of being in college.

If I could go back to my senior year of high school and talk to myself I would advise myself to improve my studying skills, apply for scholarships, know what I wanted out of a university and stay focused because there will be distractions. I would improve my studying skills because in college there aren't tests every two weeks like in high school to support your grades. There are only midterms and finals depending on your teacher and if you?re not prepared for those exams you will fail. Another important thing I would do is apply for scholarships because college is expensive and if you can get any type of financial aid help it will help greatly. By knowing what you want from a university it will put you in a better position to be happy and succeed as well because you?re placed with all the tools you need in order to better yourself. Finally I would advise myself to make sure that I stay focused because with all the distractions in college it?s easy to lose focus on why you?re in school and that?s to get a education.

Going away for college is probably the best decision you could ever make. It's hard knowing where to fit in at first, but you have to remember to be yourself around everybody, even if you don't feel comfortable. The greatest thing about college is that people tend to forget any bias they held in high school, and they learn how to accept people for their differences. Now is your time to be the decision maker, so be sure to make the right ones. It is time to be held accountable for yourself, so be sure your choices are ones that you would be proud to share with your children someday. Of course, this is your time to have fun, but you need to be smart about the fun. You cannot trust everybody, and there are no redos. Be there for your friends--always. You WILL need their help someday. These friends will become the family you never knew you had, so treat them with respect, and never be afraid to be the first to apologize. This is YOUR college experience, and you will get out of it what you put in. Make it worth it.

If I could go back in time and have a conversation with myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to worry too much about what career you want to go into. You will change your mind so many times that it isn't even worth it to stress over your future career. Take the time to research every career out there and take classes from different subjects to see if you are really interested in that field. College is supposed to be a time to find out who you really are and where your interests lie. Don't try to rush into a career field because it will only cause unhappiness in the future. Also, I would tell myself that it's important to get out there in the world and gain some valuable experience. Volunteer at the animal shelter or at the local library. Not only will you get experience, but you will also meet some great people as well. At the end of the day, have fun at college. Don't put so much pressure on yourself to achieve perfect grades. Just have fun with the college experience and live life to the fullest.

I would let myself know that I need different study skills. I would notify myself of the website www.ratemyprofessor.com so that I can look into the professors that are available for each course. I would also have told myself that I should have done some shadowing for Occupational Therapy, so that I had that readily available for graduate school. Another topic that I wish I would have known ahead of time is registration for classes. I worried about that for no apparent reason. I thought I was not going to get into all of my classes. Now, I am on my last semester and find that that was the least of my worries. Lastly, I would let myself know that I would have hard times. I would miss my mother, have doubts of succeeding, and wonder why I am putting myself through this. I now know that the key is to keep my eye on the prize. Knowing that I am in college to be an OT someday is where my motivation comes from. I may have to go through rough times right now, but it will be worth it when I'm helping people as an OT.