University of Louisiana at Lafayette

« See more reviews of University of Louisiana at Lafayette

Yes, I sit up front and make myself known there and sometimes in their office. This has developed from years of practice on effective study habits and student-teacher relationships, too. My favorite class is a criminal justice class I have right now. I had a pretty good psychology class a few years ago as well. My major is math, but most of the math teachers are very smart but cannot teach to save their life. A good deal of reform is needed in this area. Unless students are in a study-intensive major, most find hobbies on the side to occupy their time, be in partying, fraternities, judo & exercise (like me), or other things. Students aren't too competitive. We help each other out more than we compete. The most unique class is probably judo. I've written already about the poor quality of teachers in the math department, despite how smart they may be. Some can teach. Doctor or not, I think they should all be required to pursue education degrees if they are planning on teaching undergraduate-level classes. I sometimes spend time in their office, particularly if it is a difficult class. Some academic areas have solid curriculums. Some majors, like mine, are too randomly thrown together without any thought put into making the degree well-rounded nor planned toward any kind of real solid education at all. Engineering and nursing degrees and such are job specific. So are the business majors, sort of. My degree really doesn't help me get any kind of job in math. I can't really choose an area of focus, and the course options are very limited.

My professors defintely know their students' names. My favorite class.. hmm.. besides nursing I'd have to say Sociology. Ms. Darlington, a total trip! Class is not mandatory, yet I have found my self attending regulary just to hear her crazy stories! In nursing, students are very competitive. To get into clinical rotations, there are only around 110 students accepted - top GPAs get in first. It makes the students work hard. The most unique class. Probably English 206. Just last week, my teacher came to class in a motorized wheel chair and backed up into the chalk board - priceless! My major is obviously nursing! My life is comprised of studying and "thinking like a nurse" as the teachers say. I talk to many of my professors outside of class. Yesterday I was talking to one of them about Flavor Flav, haha! Nursing at UL Lafayette is geared toward getting a BSN. Their mail goal is to have us prepared and ready once we graduate. I recommend this major to anyone who is caring of others and willing to work hard!

Yes, most professors do learn our names. My favorite class was Theatre. My least favorite class was all of my history classes. I think some students study pretty often. Yes, I believe that class participation is very common. Yes, we do have intellectual conversations outside of class. I think some students are competitive but in a good way. The most unique class I have taken is Theatre. I learned so many things in that class. No, I do not usually spend time with my professors outside of class unless I need help with something. I think the academic requirements are good. I think education at UL is geared toward getting a job and some can be for learning for its own sake. You take in what you learn and apply it.

Our administration is uncomparibly among the best in the nation because i have found if you are struggling in some of your classes and need help they have an open door policy for students to go in and get side help. Our way of classes is a very relaxed process. Most students i have classes with are very interactive. our professors beleive the best way to learn is to interact and feed off of our peers views and ideas. Its also very common to see classes being held outside. One of my classes in my Junior year was held in differant parts of Lafayette because my professor believed the best way to witness psychology was to experience life out of the class.

In the College of Business many professors recognize me and know who I am. Most professors that I've had conversations with outside of class will usually remember you. My favorite class was a Management elective, Leadership, and was taught by a lecturer. This teacher had a career for 30 years in what I want to do. His classes were very inspirational for me. I would say most students study around 2 hours a night; depending on what semester you are in. There are a lot of teachers that will assist you as much as they can to get you a job in your future profession. I think there are many classes offered that will prepare you for future success.

Yes, most professors know me by name. My favorite classes are always the Communication courses! My least favorite = foreign languages. I think students study all the time. Class participation is very common at UL Lafayette. You will always have someone volunteering to speak/respond to the teacher (even though it's uncalled for!) UL students definitely hold intellectual conversations outside of classes by debating material, studying the material, and joining extra curricular activities that provide for the intellectual opportunities. The students at UL, depending on the program, are very competitive.

Most of the time the professors dont know your name. They dont really try to know your name. They pass around the roll sheet and go about there business. Every now and then the teachers have a small class and there is alot of interaction between the student and professor, in which case, they do learn who we are. My favorite class would have to be my sociology 101 class. My professor is the coolest person ever. i didnt have to buy a book, and she gets up there and actually keeps me interested in what is going on. Most of the time when a teacher gets up there and lectures, i loose focus, but not with her.

Most, if not all, of my professors know my name and have gotten to know me on a personal level. I have many favorite classes and teachers ranging from liberal arts to business. The studying habits of students are various. We are typical college students. I find UL students are highly intellectual but fun at the same time. Some students are competitive. I am taking the most unique class right now. It is my Advanced Composition class. I am a double major in Accounting and Spanish. I am very close to many of my professors. I think the academic requirements are fair and attainable.

I have some professors that know my name but not all, which is completely expected. My favorite class was Theatre 300, it wasn't just about lecture. We had lots of physical learning activities which I think is great! Least favorite classes are the big auditorium lecture classes. Too hard to stay focused in those classes. I think the College of Education is GREAT! The workers in the office are fantastic and always willing to help in any way. Education does a great job on focusing toward getting knowledge provided to students for future jobs.

The Biology department at UL is one of the best, and the professors are great. I have personally gotten to know several of my professors, and they have provided sound advice for me. Of course, in the large lecture classes, it is difficult to know every student, but they have always been very welcoming and helpful during office hours. I'm not sure about other majors, but for the most part, Biology majors study a good bit. A good portion are trying to get into medical school, and grades are very important.