University of Mary Washington

« See more reviews of University of Mary Washington

One of the bad things about this college, ironically, was also one of the major aspects that coaxed my decision of attending it: the campus. When I first visited Mary Washington, I fell in love with the scenery and size of the campus. The greenery is ever-appeasing during the stressful weeks of finals and the neoclassicism-inspired builduings create a very peaceful atmosphere. Unfortunately, after repeatedly seeing these buildings and with the lack of off-campus activity due to the isolation of the school, this peaceful atmosphere is gradually distorted into a unpleasantly presented still life painting.

The professors, and the classes/type of classes they teach are the worst. Like I said a lot of the classes you are required to take, and pay for books, and tuition for are repetitive classes you have already had throughout public/private school career. The rest are simply absurd. The professors aren't helpful, and don't answer questions. My science professor even stole my entire research project (and method I had created), after I had it approved by him, as a class assignment. Another claimed that one 'theme' was wrong when it just restated an identical correct one.

No hang-outs. People either gather in dorm rooms or people's off-campus houses. There is hardly anything to do on weekends, especially nights, if you don't have a car. The things nearby are shops and stores, and these close early (9 PM), and besides, not everyone likes shopping. There need to be more community events in Fredericksburg, especially more things to do other than shops and movies. Also, an entrance fee may be a deterant, but the smaller the better. It would also be nice to visit other schools and cities for a weekend. City exchange perhaps?

The worst thing about UMW is how much of a facade the school creates for incoming students. The university values students who will participate in athletics or declare as business majors at the expense of other students who wanted to have a different experience from big state schools. In a nut shell, UMW is a school that is trying way too hard to become a household name and is losing its good reputation as a well-rounded and low-cost education because of it.

Well this school is great but has one little annoyance I am a woman of color and I saw that University of Mary Washington had advertise a lot of diversity that went to the school, for example on their website and almost all of their pamphlets so I assumed that Mary Washington had like twenty percent of diversity. Once i got to the school it was more like five percent, I was very annoyed but not enough to leave the school.

The campus is predominantly white, which doesn't really promote the school well enough to those of other ethnicities. Also the campus doesn't have enough housing on campus for students that many are put into forced triples. And the off-campus housing tends to be quite far away meaning you need a car and the school doesn't help students in finding decent off-campus housing.

Mary Washington, how I loathed thee, let me list the ways: lack of diversity, lack of classes, no minors, limited extracurriculars, limited internet connection, poor parking, poor transportation to both Washington, D.C. and Richmond, Virginia, the administration's inability and / or its unwillingness to work with the student body, and, my personal favorite, the food.

The worst thing about my school is its size. The campus is fairly large, but the population is only about 4,000. I love large schools and I wish I had more classmates to interact and learn with. A smaller population can be limiting and provide inadequate social skills and life lessons that would be useful in the future.

The worst thing about Mary Washington is the freshman housing situation. The dorms are just fine, but the problem is that there are several smaller dorms that are spread around campus. This tends to separate the freshmen classes into their separate dorms and makes it more difficult to meet as many people as possible.

That unlike some university we do not have seperate schools within the University of Mary Washington for particular majors. For example, it would be nice to have a Business and/or Education schools. It would allow more focus and emphasis on these subjects and broaden the majors that the school now offers.