University of Maryland-Baltimore County Top Questions

Describe the dorms.

Patrice

The dorms are suite style. Basically, there are two student to each room, but these two students share a bathroom with two other students in the room next to them. Each room has its own sink. From what I've seen, the dorms are relatively clean, and I believe that they are all carpeted. Not unlike most college dorms, they're pretty small, so you're definitely living in close quarters..

Ty

UMBC offers a few different living options. Susquehanna, Potomac, Patapsco, and Chesapeake are the most traditional dorms. These dorms offer singles and suites in which each room is connected to another by a bathroom with a shower. Each floor has a common room area with a mini-kitchen. Each suite has two beds, a sink, two desks, a medicine cabinet, a window, and a wardrobe with drawers and space to hang clothing. Laundry rooms are located in the basement of each building. Erickson and Harbor also offer suite living, but offer far more closet space, a larger bathroom, and a common room for each set of rooms. There are also on-campus apartments normally reserved for upperclassmen that are more spacious. I live in one of the most social dorms. It's nice because a lot of people leave their doors open and often study in the common room. My roommate, suitemates, and I all get along and I feel that we have an adequate amount of space. My floor is coed, which I love, and everyone is pretty friendly with each other. It can get loud at night, but I've never had problems getting the sleep I need.

Ty

UMBC offers a few different living options. Susquehanna, Potomac, Patapsco, and Chesapeake are the most traditional dorms. These dorms offer singles and suites in which each room is adjoined to another by a bathroom with a shower. Each floor has a common room area with a mini-kitchen. Potomac is the only traditional dorm that offers housing over thanksgiving and winter break. Each suite has two beds, a sink, two desks, a medicine cabinet, a window, and a wardrobe with both drawers and space to hang clothing. Laundry rooms are located in the basement of each building. Erickson and Harbor also offer suite living, but offer far more closet space, a larger bathroom, and a common room for each set of rooms. There are also on-campus apartments normally reserved for upperclassmen that are more spacious. I live in one of the most social dorms. It's nice because a lot of people leave their doors open and often study in the common room. My roommate, suitemates, and I all get along well and I feel that we have an adequate amount of space. My floor is coed, which I love, and everyone is pretty friendly with each other. It can get loud at night, but I've never had problems getting the sleep I need.

Grace

The dorms at UMBC are actually pretty nice in my opinion (at least compared to Salisbury). I live in Patapsco, which has just recently over the summer been refurbished. There are two sides to this dorm; the new side and the old side and both types of rooms have their advantages and disadvantages. I live on the new side, or west wing, and the room is shaped like a square. When you walk in, there is a little hallway that has a sink and an area for a fridge and is suite style (all the dorms at UMBC are) which connects to a conjoining room. The room itself is kind of small but the bathrooms connecting the rooms are huge! The only downfall is that there are no fans in the bathroom for ventilation and the walls are so thin because they're not made of brick that you can hear people in the opposite room if they're talking above "indoor voice" level. On the old side of Patapsco however, the rooms are larger and are shaped in a rectangle but the bathrooms are very tiny. There is very little room to walk, even stand but the good thing is you can be playing a guitar hooked up to a base in one room and just barely hear it in the hallway. As for the other dorms, the only other one I have been in is Erickson which is set up with two rooms connecting as one "suite" by a living room and and a bathroom. Erickson is considered on of the nicer dorms on campus. As for the others, there's about 4 other dorms and on-campus apartments people can live in (although the apartments are for upper-classmen only).

Connie

Me and my roommate.. suitemate.. 'tour'