University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Most of UMBC's students are pursuing majors in biology, biochemistry, mechanical engineering and computer science which are truly demanding. Sucess in any college requires dedication to school work so it shouldn't be surprising that the most committed students don't have much time for the Animal House college experience. However, there are always parties to be found on campus so its usually just a matter of knowing the right people. Although UMBC academics are most often represented by the school's engineering and science programs, the fine arts and music departments also offer fine programs and knowledgable professional faculty. UMBC is truly a very diverse school. I'm constantly amazed by the variety of ethnicities and backgrounds students come from.

No - some classes are a bit difficult, but the professors are very helpful and for the most part this makes the classes fun, even if they are challenging. UMBC's research facilities offer a broad opportunity for students who would like to do research, even undergraduates. It is not boring at all - on the contrary, it is one of the things that makes UMBC more interesting. And you are not forced, as a student of UMBC, to do research. If that's not your thing, there's no big deal, but it is interesting to know what kind of research is being done on campus. UMBC has a very diverse student population; at UMBC, your peers are part of what makes the atmosphere so fun and interesting.

No and yes. Academics is HIGHLY valued, but our basketball team finished #1 in regular season for division 1 and has a chance to make it into the NCAA. There is PLENTY of stuff to do it just takes finding and getting involved. More just trying things. Sure bingo sounds lame.. until you get 5 friends to go and can win portable dvd playes, and guitar hero equipment. Sure that valentines day party or live clue sounds lame, until you go with someone and have memories and stories to tell for time to come. Its basically something to try. And yes currently a lot of students go home, but slowly that is changing!

It is true that we have a lot of computer and and science related majors, but there are a broad mix of others as well. As for being quite, if you wish to have a low key social life, you can, but if you make friends and are open to having fun, its quite easy to party as much as you want. As for commuters, i only know a few, all of my other friends live on campus and are very happy. The school is big enough to have a broad range of people, while you are still an individual.

The first one, sort of, but the athletes don't separate themselves to be mean, it's just that we have similar practice and game schedules and can relate to each other. The school is very diverse. There isn't much campus life, especially on weekends. The last one is pretty true, the typical student isn't your average college kid. Many are more focused on video games and MAGIC games than sports and outdoor activities.

While there are many students of Asian decent, there are still many other different walks of life at UMBC. It is true that campus definitley empties out on the weekends, but, as I go through my years I can see more and more people sticking around for the weekends. SGA, SEB and other campus organizations are trying to make on-campus living a better experience for everyone.

No! There are plenty of things to do on campus and one of UMBC's strengths are its differences between other schools. UMBC is a community of academically-minded individuals who are well-rounded. Even our athletics teams have some of the highest GPAs and are in difficult majors. If you are looking for regular binge drinking UMBC really isn't the right place for you.

Yes and no. There are people who are extremely dedicated to maintaining GPA, and there are people who are very socially awkward; however, the opposite end exists as well, and everything inbetween. Regardless which end of the continuum the balance favors, worlds exist for all types of people, as does the potential to create new worlds with new groups of people.

UMBC is more academically oriented but there are many opportunities to party and have a good social life like a regular college kid. It is also very diverse, but in a different sense. There are many different cultures present, but similar ones form their own groups, which is human. But something we need to work towards changing.

Yes and no. On the surface I would say that there is some room for improvement. What I love is that there is diversity of thought. That everyone of my classes have had an atmosphere of inclusivity. Most importantly, the faculty is quite diverse and always have much to offer to academically and professionally.