University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Athletics here on campus are more popular then ever. With the success of the men's soccer team, women's basketball and lacrosse teams, and others, students usually come out in bulk to these events, none being more popular then our men's basketball games. Every weekend there is a movie shown in one of the lecture halls and there is usually something to do on campus. Certain dorms are more social then others because some have people who leave their door's open while other's don't (and some of the dorms don't even have doors you can leave open.) Guest speakers and performers make appearances for special occasions and there are many places off campus you can visit. We're located in Catonsville/Arbutus with Baltimore City and the Inner Harbor no more then ten minutes away. The dating scene is great, I met my girlfriend in my dorm last year which was one of the most social dorms on campus. Frats and sororities are very popular and can be seen around campus a lot.

I have no idea what clubs are the most popular. I personally am involved with Orthodox Christian Fellowship (a religious group), Rock for Life (a political advocacy group), and the Shakespeare Reading and Performing Group. To my knowledge most students leave their doors open. The sports events are not terribly popular. My closest friends are the people who live on my floor. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm mostly likely talking with friends online or in my common room. I have no idea how often people party because I'm not a partier. Fraternities and sororities are not terribly important because their housing is all off campus- they sit together at lunch and usually have some sort of fundraiser going on. On a Saturday night you can go watch a movie in one of the lecture halls, play pool or something in the game room, of attend a club event. Off campus you can visit Baltimore or other nearby cities/towns for food, entertainment, or shopping.

If I am awake on Tuesday at 2am I am either frantically finishing a paper, or hanging out in the common room watching a movie, talking, or stretching with a group of friends. Usually it is the latter because on our floor someone is usually always up. If not then, I am asleep because I have class at 10. On a saturday without drinking? You can do numerous things. There are parties on our floor every once in a while but mostly it would be watching movies, going into baltimore, or just hanging out with friends. UMBC groups hold activiites and sponsor 3 times a week movie nights. I go home to my family, go into Arbutus or Catonsville for food. Lots of people like to go to Double TT diner late at night or for me Sorenntos. There is a lot that goes on in the city, but other people than I usually do that.

UMBC has been gaining more activities and social aspects. We do not have a football team but we make up for tailgating at almost every other sporting event. We have a theater, which I havent been to but my roommates have. Every weekend there are movies on campus that were just in the theaters. There are frats and sororities but they are not a major part of the campus. They throw a fishbowl on Thursday nights. Fishbowl is a local club that is 18 to enter. It is pretty much where you will see everyone on a Thursday night. Fridays are usually pretty relaxed. My friends and I play manhunt to rest the liver and get some outdoors fun, and because we have 6:00am practice on Saturday. So the big nights are Thursday and Saturday.

Students in dorms generally leave their doors open, fostering some interaction. However, athletics are not highly popular, but guest speakers and theatre events are pretty populated. Sororities and fraternitites exist on campus, and I am actually a member of one, but they are not very important on campus, I didn't really know anything about Greek life until my sophomore year, when I had to go looking into it on my own. Off campus, you can go to the Inner Harbor or a few malls that are near campus. There is a ton of things within 20 or 30 minutes of campus to do. People who go to UMBC generally do not party a ton, but if you are looking for it, you can find it, but it will not be super wild and crazy.

The most popular activities include 1. Dancing: Which ranges from hip-hop, ballroom, cultural (ie Indian, African etc) or Liturgical. I am a part of a Liturgical Dance team called Perfected Praise and we worship God through prayer and dance movements. 2. Comedy/ Open Mic Night: There are a lot of stand up comedies and comedians on campus as well as monthly shows with just you, a mic and the crowd. 3. Modeling: The are 2 major modeling opportunities on campus. These are student run and Designers/ Model volunteers are sought to display outfits. I am currently modeling for a show and I am very excited. 4. Bands; There are numerous bands on campus and weekly performances.

Most popular student activities include going to parties, game nights, attending basketball and soccer games, karaoke nights in the Commons and study groups (of course)! :) Among different groups people enjoy going to the theater for a play, watching a dance recital, going to Erickson Field to play flag football or extreme frisbee. There are also numerous numbers of sororities and fraternities that people like to join based on their interests or backgrounds. The two biggest events that everyone looks forward to is Quadmania and Homecoming where everyone's school spirit is shining and there are concerts, free food, and fun!

There is no popular group on campus in my opinion. We have so many organization that you are bound to find something to be in. I am personally in a sorority. Greek life on my campus is not a big deal but I enjoy being in one. I have new friends who can help with my schoolwork while joking around about life. It's fun and love that I am in one. At UMBC, we have sport teams but they do not really outshine other organizations. Everyone is pretty friendly in dorms and people just hang out in other peoples room or on the floors common room. People are pretty chill here.

The more popular activities and groups here are the sports clubs and fraternities/sororities. There is a specific type of fraternity/sorority for almost everybody if you look and there are so many different sports teams. The best part is though we have so many activities and groups and if you would like to do something that is not available then you are more than capable of starting the group yourself. Plus as I have said on previous questions, if you want to meet people there are so many ways to do it and so many ways to have fun and make friends.

Honestly, there's not enough stuff to do on campus during the weekends. SEB (student events board) tries to put something on every weekend, but often resident students will go home for some odd reason, and commuters will stay home. (home isn't very fun in my opinion... if you want to stay home, go to community college or take online classes.) However, if you stay on the weekends you will find people who are bored and looking for something to do. Make friends with those people!!!