University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

I've heard a lot of acronyms over the past 3 years while at UMBC, such as You Must be Chinese which I think is false. There is a lot of diversity on campus, however I have not met a lot of students who are Chinese. Another popular acronym I've heard from students is You Made a Bad Choice. However, on the first day of freshman my orientation, I was told by many staff members that "You have Made the Best Choice".

1. That UMBC is filled with Asian students. 2. That the weekends suck. 3. That is it not a party school. 3a. That a UMBC party consists of students sitting around in a circle in their dorm and drink enough until they get drunk and pass out. 4. That UMBC is a science and math school. 5. That we are all nerds.

There really aren't a lot of stereotypes of UMBC from people outside of UMBC, most people have either never heard of it, think it is a branch campus of College Park, or think it is a community college. Stereotype that it is largely asian.

U Must Be Crazy U Must Be Chinese U Made a Bad Choice People think we're all computer science nerds who have no social lives. They think UMBC is a school for people who didn't get into UMCP.

As mentioned in some of my videos (I will restate...) -Nerdy -Asian -No party kids -Boaring -UMBC (You're Muslim, Black or Chinese; You might be Chinese; University of math before chicks)

That were all asian and all commuters. UMBC = U Must Be Chinese. People also thing that we have no school spirit and are just the science nerds and rejects from other schools.

All of my years here at UMBC I have heard people complain about campus is boring, there is nothing to do, there are never cool parties, sports programs suck, etc.

UMBC: 1) That it is boring 2) There are no parties 3) There is nothing to do on campus UMBC STUDENTS: 1) They have no life beyond classroom

That we are all Asian and nerdy. Most people in Pennsylvania ask me why I don't go to main campus. They are not the same thing people!

Often people think UMBC is for chess players, nerds, asians, and people who could not get accepted into college park.