University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

We NEED a football team!!!!!!! The size of the school is alright, not too big, not too small. Overall the school has a negative connotation. "UMBC stands for 'U Made a Bad Choice'" Not enough time spent outside, though it often gets too windy to spend much time outside. There is no college town atmosphere, once you step foot off-campus. Not much school pride, or it's just too spread out. There's no sports team to unite the entire student body. The social scene, in terms of parties etc., is, at times, hard to find, but it's definitely out there.

UMBC will give you however much you put into it. You can certainly remain mostly in your dorm room, and the dorms are nice enough as to make this not so disagreeable. Or you can get involved. There are lots of clubs, many cool people, honestly there is such a range that it makes it hard to place a wide stereotype over everything. We have just about every sport except foot ball (even skydiving!) So, if you come to UMBC, come willing to make at least a small effort to make yourself a part of the school.

It is different than a lot of other colleges. It has only been around for a few years and has the potential to become something great. We need to work on improving the campus attitude as a whole. Many students feel unsatisfied and want it to be more of a college town. Im very satisfied with the size and once i tell people i go to UMBC, they assume I couldnt get into College park and love to study. One of the major problems on our campus is school pride. Students dont seem to be proud of going to UMBC

UMBC is the perfect sized campus and perfectly located. Its not too small or too big and its near the city but located in a quieter more residential area. You get the best of city life and a small town feel. Lots of students complain there isn't much to do on weekends because a good deal of residnetial students go home, but if you have a good group of friends to hang out with you can always find some fun on campus, in Baltimore, or in one of the towns nearby.

UMBC was a perfect choice for me. It's inexpensive, yet offers the same excellent education as any prestigious University. UMBC is a large campus with a lot of students, but not to worry: It is easy to make friends and easier still when you start taking classes in your major because you meet people with the same interests as you have, and it is not hard to stand out even though it is a large campus.

While we are not a very sport oriented school, our recent qualification for the Big Dance shows that we can be. So really-- how about a football team already?! And Greek life should be more supported... like having houses.

The school has a reputation as great academically but not so great socially.

UMBC is a community. I don't know how else to describe it.

http://my.umbc.edu/discussions/14692