University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

The best thing about UMBC is that I had the opportunity to expand my perspective of the world, science, and academia. I gained many skills at this institution that many of my other friends that attended other universities did not. Also, I had the luxury of meeting and befriending international students because a lot of international students attend UMBC. I was able to develop an understanding with others from different ethnic backgrounds which is an invaluable experience for me. Finally, I improved a great deal in my understanding of mathematics because of UMBC which is also invaluable.

The school is small, so getting around is easy. Class sizes are generally small unless you're taking biology or chem 101, which means you have plenty of opportunity to approach your professors, which I highly recommend. The faculty is always willing to help you (regardless of department) if you show some initiative. Also, Baltimore is a pretty cool town when you get to know it. The campus is usually safe, and you can always find something to do in town. If nothing else, get to know your professors because they care about your progress.

This is truly a trick question when it comes to UMBC. Diversity, the professors, the positive attitudes of the student body, and President Hrabowski are among the top competitors, though. With so many different kinds of people on campus, it's impossible to not find something or someone that really makes your time here worthwhile. There's always a fun event going on, or a professor to spend one-on-one time with you. Being on campus just feels right to me, and I believe it's because of the people around me.

The best thing about this school is the campus events. The Student Events Board works hard to provide our campus with friendly, fun events that bring together our campus residents. They are clean fun and they usually include lots of glow sticks and some form of outside entertainment. Personally, I love the comedy shows as well as the Open Mic Nights that showcase the talents of the UMBC community by allowing them to perform in front of their peers. They are so much fun!

The best thing about UMBC is that there's countless number of opportunities such as research, internships, fellowships, jobs which is good because it's better to know what you want to do early in your college career. Also, it's a lot of networking which takes place at UMBC which is an excellent thing being that you should start making relations now for later.

The most unique aspect of UMBC is that it is still developing. It's such a young, growing institution and I'm constantly surprised by administration's openness to student ideas that have the potential to improve the school. The administration's extreme willingness and desire to partner with students to make UMBC better is really unique to the institution.

The best thing about UMBC has to be the diversity. I went to high school in a small town where everyone was either black or white. At UMB, there is every type of person imaginable and they all bring something different to the school. All the different types of people are refreshing and it feels more like the real world than my town ever did.

I consider the diversity of the students one of the best things about this school. The diversity of this campus includes not only diversity of race, ethnicity, and culture, but diversity of views. UMBC does a good job at allowing the many views of students to be heard.

The ethnic diversity. This school has so much diversity which makes it a fun and an attractive campus. People are more open minded about accepting others for who they are, not what they believe in. It's an honor to be with this group of individuals.

Everyone is so welcoming and also so easy to talk to. It doesn't matter whether or not you are talking to professors, faculty, or other students, everything is just very cohesive and makes a comfortable envirnment to learn.