University of Miami Top Questions

Tell us about your professors.

Jaymes

Comm school is decent. Business school is amazing.

Many of the professors have held highly respected jobs in their field. In the smaller classes you will find that they are really trying to get to know you, and most classes above 100 levels are small. You can make whatever type of relationship you'd like, they are always available for office hours and are very happy when you actually show up to talk to them about your work and concerns. I've never had a professor that I've hated, obviously some are harder than others.

Alana

There's not much to say. There's some I like, some I can't understand when they talk, and some I'm just simply indifferent to. I have yet to develop a close relationship with any of them except my band director. All of them are very knowledgeable about their field of study and I've only had one so far that was completely clueless, because he had never taught the class before. I do have many professors however who are not of American descent, making it fairly difficult to understand them, but it forces me to pay attention even more. They are all very accessible if I need them to be.

Cory

My professors are pretty relaxed but that is because I am within two of the smaller majors UM offers. It really depends on the personality of the teacher. For the most part, I have found that teachers are willing to help you out if you are a good student and go up to them asking for help. To be honest, teachers may not be willing to help you out if you're not a good student or don't show up to class. This may not be the university for you if you don't like going to class and or like handing in homework assignments late or just are here for the party scene. However, if you do everything right they will cut you a little slack if you're sick and can't go to class, or forgot to turn an assignment in

Cory

I think I can count on one hand how many professors I've had that have actually stimulated me. When I've have those professors, I've thoroughly enjoyed my time wrapped up in discussions in their classes and I always found myself wishing it wasn't time to leave. I think the issue at UM is that there are too many professors here for research purposes. Teachers focused on research will not teach! The psychology department here is a screaming example of this.

Matt interviews Professor Magnanini of The University of Miami Frost School of Music. They talk about what its like to teach in Miami, memorable students, and the Professor's favorite musical note.