University of Michigan-Dearborn Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Michigan-Dearborn

Jazmin

I looked into Michigan Dearborn has one of my top universities that would like to attend when I graduated high school. There are plenty of reasons why to attend Dearborn but my most important was the pre law studies and political science programs they are high rank. I come from the Texas desert so the landscape is breathtaking.

Chrisara

I loved attending UM-D! It provides a high quality education with plenty of opportunities for involvement on campus and in the community. Like any experience, what you get out of it is fully dependent upon how much you put into it. Outside of typical dorm life and a thriving sports program, this school really does offer pretty much everything you would want in a university experience including the prestigious University of Michigan name.

Ricardo

Commitment to service is perhaps one of my finest qualities obtained from going to a Jesuit High School. I love going to Cass Community every Wednesday and simply preparing food for the people not privileged enough to buy some for themselves. I enjoy seeing the smile on someone’s face when I commit a good deed for them. That is how I believe a Michigan Alumni feels. Upon becoming a proud alumni, University of Michigan graduates can continue to be part of the community. They continue to support it and see it grow and prosper. I want to be among those people who gets a great smile across his face when his school achieves something great. I want to be able to tell people, not “that was my school”, but “that is my school”. I want to feel the close connection that I know each alumni treasures, so much as to feel like I never left. Like all alumni, I want to be able to cheer on my school, and stand proud when it succeeds and morn when it morns. I want people to look at me, see how successful I have become, ask me where did I go, and I answer “Michigan”. There is a certain feeling that comes from being an alumni of the college of one’s state. Upon graduating, one does not only represent the University of Michigan, but the state itself. I want to be among the many images of success that Michigan has conceived. I want to be a member of the Michigan family.

Mahmudur

It Is alright but not the best. Some improvement is needed to make the college experience more student friendly and welcoming. There should also be more connection between professors and students. There needs to be improvement in the social atmosphere too.

Alexis

The University of Michigan at Dearborn is overall not terrible. There are good things on campus and there are bad things. During weeks where there is a lot going on, such as RUSH week there is often lots of free food which makes any campus better. It is very easy to navigate the campus and most people if you ask for directions are very understanding. Overall, the academics are essentially what you make of them and ratemyprofessor.com is used before every registration term.

Briona

The University of Michigan-Dearborn is an awesome school all around. From its range of diverse students, to its small and personal class sizes, to its more than willing to help professors, to its variety of student organizations, this university is great! I made my decision to attend the university after assessing all of these things, and I not disappointed one bit. The only suggestion I have to make the school better is to add dormitories to make going to school easier for students. There is off campus housing but it is very expensive and a lot of students cannot afford it. So that would be the one thing that could be done to improve the university.

Madison

Overall, I like my university and I think I made the right choice of going here. For a smaller commuter school, it still has a big school feeling without being too overwhelming. Every few months the school has student involvement fairs to get the students interested in getting involved with things like greek life organizations and other clubs. I also like the academics here as the class sizes are smaller than the average university's.

April

I enjoy the campus and am excited to attend this university. The people who let us tour allowed for us to ask as many questions as needed and they had answers for all of them. Everyone was extremely kind and I enjoyed the apartments that were right by campus. The area seems really diverse and there is quite a bit to do around.

Danielle

The Dearborn campus is a bit of a hybrid. You have a very small dorm that opened after I graduated, but there are still a lot of commuter students and non-traditional students as well. As part of CASL, I found the faculty to be excellent. I would recommend the school to anyone who's looking for a U of M education, but with a smaller price tag and closer proximity to the metro-Detroit area.

Joe

This is a great campus overall. The academics are on par with Ann Arbor, and the main differences compared to Ann Arbor is that Dearborn is a smaller school and is not invested as heavily in athletics. The campus has been getting increasingly better in recent years--they built new apartments for student housing, a new natural sciences building, and now, a new engineering building that will be completed in the next few years. This is a great place to be, and the people you will meet here are equally amazing.

Joshua

It's a great place to learn and grow. It is a commuters campus, so if you do not live in the apartments, there pretty much isn't a campus life. The schools campus is very nice. They are redoing the ELB, and once it is done it will look amazing. The academics are great too.

Grant

This is my first semester at UM Dearborn. If you aren't living on campus then the absolute worst thing is the parking. If you take morning classes it shouldn't be too much of an issue but after about 9am the parking becomes impossible to find. That is really the only bad thing I can think of here. There is plenty of diversity, campus is navigated easily enough, the professors care about the subject matter and hold regular office hours. I feel really safe and Dearborn is a nice city.

Katarina

I am very excited to be attending the University of Michigan-Dearborn in the Fall! The campus is beautiful and the staff and students are friendly. The small class sizes mean that the conversations are deep and intellectual as well as intimate with the professors who guide the student experience. I cannot think of anyplace I would rather go!

Derek

It is a great school that offers students to a diverse field of learning and progression. It strives to be the best and stresses perfection and lends a hand if perfection is not being met. I enjoy this school, its home to me, and i wouldn't change a thing about it.

Alexis

Overall my experience at the University of Michigan- Dearborn has been meh. By meh, I mean I love the smaller class sizes and have had mostly great understanding teachers; however, there is little to no activity on campus. Our school is predominately a commuter school. Most students come to class and leave. Greek life exists but it is not a big thing at our college. Same with sports, we have sports but we aren't filling up stadiums with our student section. The campus housing is a good facility, but its ridiculously expensive for what it is. The food on campus is way overpriced and in my opinion not very good with little selection. There are groups to join but you really have to put in effort to search and find a group you'd like. It is not easy to stay connected to the school, you really have to put fourth effort. So far my professors have been pretty good and understanding, of course theres always a few not so good professors. Classroom sizes are great. That was one of the main reason I choose this institution. I have never had a problem with financial aid. My current counselor is extremely nice and really works with me. She really cares about my success as a student. It is a harder university. The work load is pretty heavy, but that also depends on your major. We have nice clean facilities. The gym is really nice and we just got a new science building. As for things to do around campus, there isn't much unless you have a car. Theres a mall and a few restaurants but you definitely need a vehicle. Nothing is in walking distance. Overall, it is an okay university, and I am glad I won't have a ton of student debt, but if I could go back I would not pick this university again.

Ahmad

U of M- Dearborn is an amazing school with a great atmosphere. There are great people around campus and it's a very diverse campus with people of different race, culture, and religion. There are many resources provided to students including an amazing library and specific study rooms in every building!

The class sizes are small which are nice because it allows for developing relationships with your professors. However the overall classroom intellect ranges greatly which is a problem. I graduated high school with a high school and an IB Diploma, but here I am stuck in a biology class with this girl who thinks parrots have fur...not feathers.

Nadia

University of Michigan-Dearbron is an amazing university it is full of diversity, a lot of different student organization clubs, teachers are friendly with great one to one student communication. What i like the most at the university is the small classrooms, because it gives the students the opportunities to get to know their professors.

Zachary

I have been at UofM Dearborn for a year now, and I have enjoyed my time. While there is no on-campus housing and the cafeteria doesn't have much, classes beyond intro classes are small and intimate, and I have met many fantastic professors. Buildings are well kept, and the entire campus is very safe. It is a commuter campus, so there are fewer activities outside of school hours, which can be a pro or a con.

I feel very welcome at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. As a freshman in my first semester of college, I was originally very apprehensive about attending U-M Dearborn and going to college in general. It did not take me long to really begin to enjoy my experience here. I love the small class sizes and the professors I have had are all very good at what they do and are never afraid to help a student succeed.

Kaylee

I have loved my experience at U of M Dearborn. The area is lovely with plenty to do, the people are friendly, and the academics are incredible. My one warning: do not live in the off-campus housing across the street. It is absolutely terrible with awful management. It isn't run by the school, but it is often promoted by it.

Yusra

I really love how all the professors are out-going and willing to help. I am working on a project for one specific class, but I was able to reach out to multiple different professors that I didn't even know that were willing to help me. I also love the counselors, they are all so willing to help and they really do want you as a student to succeed. I am fortunate that I picked an amazing, caring university.

Anonymous

This review is limited to the Business School: Waste of money! Dearborn is not UofM Ann Arbor quality education. Choose Ann Arbor, State or Wayne instead. -Most of the instructors are NOT PhDs or Professors. They only hold a Masters but make students call them Professor. Then tell students that they go to a "UofM name school" to make up for their lack of prestige. (BTW, recruiters know this and don't look fondly on Dearborn) -The concentrations and degree tracks change so rapidly that advisors can't keep track of what requirements are. -Career Services are a joke. Not only is there a lack of real career and resume building guidance at this critical juncture, but job posts largely require only an HS degree (i.e., Rite Aid Associate) However, Career Services brags about the quantity and quality of their opportunities and connections. -The Dean's relationship with students involves little more than posing for pictures and posts on LinkedIn. -The school will sell graduate work to companies without giving due credit to the students who made it. -Library hours are limited at best. The extended hours are never concrete as students who take the shifts often don't show up to keep the Library open. -Very few instructors discuss certifications and licenses that are necessary for getting a good entry position. I've only seen one instructor teach and test on relevant material towards a certificate. -The school is faculty driven. The downside of this is that students with complaints about a paid course rarely get anywhere because of the bureaucracy. It essentially feels like "instructors vs. students" or "students supporting instructor lifestyles" rather then "instructors supporting and teaching students to be better." -There are very offerings for academic support or study groups within the COB. Especially regarding 400 level classes. Even when asked for recommendations, instructors can rarely help find a paid tutor. -There is very little support for students with disabilities. There is test taking center that allows students extra time and additional tools. Beyond this, students with disabilities must advocate for themselves and often loose if challenging an instructor about being tardy/absent due to their condition or requesting in-class assistance. -The COB campus: No outside facing windows in the classrooms. Limited study areas and even few designed for quiet study. Snow and ice are not from the parking lot promptly. Because of this, students have reported slipping on their way to class. Active shooter events, as well as other campus safety concerns, happen at least once a year (lockdown procedures are discussed at the beginning of each semester). The cafeteria is at the COB campus exercises a monopoly and takes full advantage of the students.

Lisa

I love going to school here. I transferred from Henry Ford College and it is so much better here. The atmosphere is a lot nicer, the professors are nicer, and the students are easier to work with. Also, the professors here don't try to bring you down. At Henry Ford, professors tried to make things more difficult, but here professors want you to succeed!

Audrey

This is only my second semester here, but from what I saw during my first the campus was lively. It had an open environment that welcomed everyone. Clubs that were promoting for one thing whether it was politics or religion, were engaging to those who didn't share the same beliefs. There was never a dispute over differing opinions rather the discussions and clubs were insightful.

octavia

The university is a very diverse campus. It is so many various activities and clubs people can be a part of. The professors that I have had are always available to come and help with any questions I have in regards to the class and assignment. Not only them, but most of the faculty on campus is also there for you to come in and talk to them.

Rebecca

The Academics are good for the programs they have but they do not have a complete history department. The teachers are more then just academics robots turning out degree programs, they do actually teach and work with students on a human basis. The second biggest headache is the disorganization from the administrative side of things, its difficult to get a straight answer or a liner path to a solution. The parking is absolute garbage, you'd think that after raising rates by at least 3.6% for the past 5 years they would have invested in better parking.

Rhagavi

I love the small, suburban commuter campus. I love living in the dorm across the street from the campus. This is the place to learn where you can easily learn about yourself and your professor in a small setting classrooms in order to learn new things from your professor which will help you with your academic success and your career goals. This is a place where you communicate your professors directly through classroom and in person. As far as in campus, it may seemed confusing to where the classes are. You will find out within the first semester or two that it's just a small campus and that you will know most of the buildings in this campus. Also, you will get to see familiar faces everyday as you walk through this campus. One day you might make friends with those people not only buy seeing them on your way to class but also buy joining clubs and making friends through classes. Good luck!! You can do this!!

Alexis

Great if you just want to go to school then go back home. Housing is overpriced for what it is and theres nothing nearby to do. Only reason I am still attending is because class sizes are small and it's cheaper than other universities. Professors are pretty good so far, although it is only my first year. Food wise is gross and extremely overpriced.

India

I loved it here. I just wish there were more activities and more organizations for the students.

Camille

This University is a commuter school it is true, but there are plenty ways to get involved on this campus! There is never a dull day on campus and 9 times out of 10 there is an event or something cultural and new on campus to try. The smaller class sizes give students a really personal touch with the professors and they are able to engage the students more. Also every month the chancellor of the school host's chancellor luncheons in which he is able to get an idea of the dynamic of the students on campus and what they enjoy doing/ how the campus can be improved. I enjoy attending these luncheons because it is nice for the students to know that their opinions matter. Overall even though this school is a smaller branch of the main university we still have school pride of the "Leaders and Best, Champions of the West" in our hearts and it is shown through the kindness/tolerance/understanding of the students here and top notch education.

As a member of a sorority, The Wolverine's little brother is getting ahead of the game. The University of Michigan-Dearborn campus breeds a combination of historical innovation and ecological preservation. The school is just the right size of small classes and big involvement. The sororities and fraternities have impacted so many lives and built stronger relationships, making college seem a little less uphill. I understand why people reach out to others in a group than as individuals. The Dearborn campus is a wonderful site, proving excellence since 1959.

Austin

I believe the University of Michigan is an amazing campus to start your college career and eventually finish with possibly a master's degree. I would recommend it very highly to younger friends when they decide on where they want to attend college for their freshman year.

Frederick

The University of Michigan-Dearborn is a great extension of the main campus in Ann Arbor. The Dearborn campus may not have as much flair as the main campus but Dearborn's small-town feel and access to Fairlane Shopping Center and a 20-minute drive to downtown Detroit makes all the difference. There is a small campus apartment but the residential neighborhoods around the area also have affordable housing. Since the campus is a satellite campus, there are no big campus parties allowing for students to be more focused and direct with their studies. We leave that to the city nights in Detroit. The campus food is always on point, breakfast or lunch, there is always a great selection sometimes customizable. Also, take into account the new Engineering building and I have everything I need to be as successful as possible. Michigan leads the nation in research and was just voted top public university by a major publication. Those stats are for the main campus but please don't let all the talent cultivated at the Dearborn branch go unnoticed. There are many students who start off at Dearborn and move onto Ann Arbor for graduate school or even plan dual enrollment depending on their major. The class sizes are not overwhelming allowing for a more intense and direct learning session with the professors. There are plenty of learning areas across campus and the campus facilities are always clean. Don’t let the small-town feel, fool you. The University of Michigan-Dearborn has lots of extracurricular activities. From professional organizations to academic teams there is always an event to keep one entertained and well informed on any subject. ~Go Blue

Monica

I enjoy u of m dearborn alot I think it has a very positive and helpful vibe throughout the whole campus. Over all my experience there has been great. The sports life is especially lively I've made many friends who are more like family now on each one of the teams.

Maiya

The university of Michigan - Dearborn plays a great “little brother” campus to Ann Arbor. It is a decently sized commuter school that also has off-campus housing. The mall nearby gives students options for activities. Sports, Greek life, and other orgs are available. My biggest complaint is the lack of organization the financial aid office.

Muskan

Classes are good and professors are always there to help you out. Arts and Theatre needs to be improved, organizations related to them are not active at all. Besides that, it is a very nice campus and the faculty is helpful, students are nice and always ready to help you.

Diana

I am a current student at the University of Michigan - Dearborn. From the first day of my involvement, I have found that all the faculty members, staffs are very helpful and charming. They know about the limitations of foreign students and suggest them as a way to bring the best of them. The university is culturally sound and active. no one can found racism here. all are equal in the eye of the university.

Renald

Good School, good atmosphere, great food services, great classes, totally PogChamp. This school is very big, surrounded by a lot of trees, grasses, mosses, and other beautiful sites. The staff is good, the parking is decent, and a lot of great features about the school.

Justine

It is a smaller college for sure, but that means you have a better relationship with your professors. I still think you get a good college experience as there are a bunch of clubs and activities on campus. Everyone is really friendly, and if you’re a freshman and need help you can literally ask anyone and they will drop what they’re doing to help you.

Nayab

I absolutely love the University of Michigan-Dearborn. Everyone here is so friendly and they want you to engage more on campus. The dorms are spaceous better than most other colleges I've heard of and the dining is amazing. There's a student organization for everyone, no matter what you enjoy doing in your free time. The teachers care about how their students are doing in class and are passionate about what they teach.

Madison

University of Michigan Dearborn is a great school to go to. All of the faculty is very kind and helpful and there is a great environment on campus. I would not want to go anywhere else for school. There is plenty to participate in on campus with more than 175 clubs and activities.