University of Minnesota-Morris Top Questions

Ranee

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that college is all about time management, study really well for an exam, and live on campus. Students should resepect the deadline because in college there is no other chance if you miss a deadline. When is an exam, you should not study the next day. Sometimes it is hard to find someone to study with you, but always ask the professor if thing is unclear. It is better to live on campus because everything you need is right next door. If only if I could go back in time and tallk to myself, I would manage my time more sufficient, study well for an exam, and choose to live on campus.

Rebecca

If I could go back in time and talk to my senior self, I think the first thing that I would tell myself is to really begin to be comfortable with who you are. By senior year, I was not really struggling with trying to be like other people or make them happy, but I was not sure of myself, of my style, of my abilities, or my potential. Looking back I wish I had really gotten to know me, because it does not get any easier in college! I wish I could tell myself that the drama and the fights weren't really that big of a deal. I wish I could have focused more on others than on myself and what I wanted. I would tell myself to not be selfish and to take better care of my friends when they needed me. If I had known how to do that, I think it would have been easier to connect with the kids I've met at my community college. Grades aren't a problem, but building strong relationships doesn't come easy for me, and that is the most important aspect of growing up in college.

Bridget

If I could go back and talk to myself as a High School Senior, I’d tell myself to not care what other people think. College is much more different than High School. People are more open and accepting in College. Nobody from College cares what “group” or “clique” you were from in High School. I spent a lot of time trying to fit in, trying to date, trying to be someone I’m not. Going to college really helped me find who I really am. I’d tell myself to not stress out so much about leaving friends behind, because the most important High School friends will make it through with you and you will keep in touch with them. I’d tell myself to not start dating right before moving away to College. It caused a lot of stress and time to uphold a long distance relationship that didn’t even work out in the end. All that time spent catering to that boyfriend could’ve been spent being worry free and getting involved in more things around campus.

Amelia

If I could tell my senior self anything about college life and making the transition, I would definitely say, "Don't procrastinate." Procastination was a problem in high school, but I could get by with doing it. In college, however, it's not that simple. I need to study everyday to keep up with all my work. If I would have practiced more in high school about not procrastinating, maybe my first semester of college wouldn't have been much of a challenge. Now that I'm finally getting accustomed to the transition, it's a lot better than last semester. But I still wish I wouldn't have taken it so easy. I'd also tell myself to read my notes everyday, because I have found that reading the notes more than once a week, really does help your grade with tests.

Joe

I would tell myself to be more self-motivated, I have problems getting tasks done without some outside push. I know that they need to be done, and I want to do them, but I always put it off, usually for alot longer than I should.

Suzanne

Don't stress out about going into college, it's awesome!

Stephany

The advice I would of gave myself back in High School, is to broaden my outlook on what i really wanted my career to be. So many high school students choose what career they wanted to do but dont realize that once you start taking classes and learn more what the career is about. You might decide that career isn't for you two semster into. That's what i did and now im paying on those student loans for Marine Biology and I swapped majors to Veterinary Technician. My senior year, there was so much pressure from my teachers and parents on find a career that i wanted to do for the rest of my life. Once i figured out what career i wanted to do i knew where i wanted to go to college. I would tell my high school self to take more time to figure out my future career and not to stress so much about it.

Heather

You’re a little lost, aren’t you? I know you are. I know it’s difficult. Your friends are all moving on and growing up and figuring out what they want from life. But you’re as lost as a tourist without a guide. I’m going to be honest- college doesn’t make you less lost. You’ll still wonder how you’ve managed to live this long with depression, you’ll still want to know how much longer you’ll be able to keep it up. Friends will still be hard to make and people are still going to mistake your social anxiety for rude arrogance. And your life plan? Forget it. It gets worse every time you rewrite it. But the one thing college does change is your perspective on other people. None of your high school friends had anything figured out. They were faking it, just like you. There isn’t an 18 year old in the world that has life planned, and life changed constantly. You’re a little lost right now, no doubt about it. But I promise you; being lost isn’t the end of the journey. That's what starts it.

Brent

Be prepared for freedom. This new found freedom has two roads: on one road, you can sleep as long as you want, do whatever you want, eat when/what you want to and make your own decisions. On the other road, you choose to work hard, become a responsible adult and take advantage of the opportunities provided to you. College provides you a chance to explore and choose who you want to be. It gives you the freedom to choose your path, easy or hard. Understand that the path you choose sets the course of your entire life. Understand that certain decisions shape who you will become as a person. Choose wisely. Take advantage of your youth and the opportunities before you. Listen to those who have knowledge and experience. In choosing freedom, choose for your future.

Victor

Pursuing college credits as a high school senior is a strategy with a plethora of positive ramifications. The more obvious outcomes are lower tuition, for college credits acquired in high school are free and transferability of the coursework. In the latter case, shrewdly chosen coursework that transfers to the undergraduate institution of student’s choice will reduce the amount of time that it takes to graduate. However, there are other benefits which become more palpable further down the undergraduate path. Often, generals completed during high school serve as prerequisites for the upper level undergraduate courses. A freshman who completes courses traditionally taken by the second and even third year students gains a great degree of flexibility during junior and/or senior year of college. Instead of completing a specific sequence of courses to graduate on time, students can expand the breadth and depth of their curriculum by taking electives and courses outside of their major in addition to the basic program requirements. Also, advanced coursework gives students a competitive edge while applying for internships or trying to conduct research. Some otherwise well qualified candidates, miss out on invaluable learning experiences simply because they lack the required coursework.

Hannah

To myself as a high school senior: Your entire life you have been shaped and molded, just to wind up labeled and placed in a particular group stereotyped as “the athletic band geeks.” Now that is quite the label. While the friends you made in this group are remarkable people, breaking out of this particular stereotype, instead of living by it, is something you will conquer in just mere months. High school teaches you to do whatever it takes to “fit in” and survive through years with the same people, whereas college thrives with students who were meant to stand out and break conformity. Now those people are life changing, and their influence at your college will greatly impact you. There should be no fear about this change however, since you will only become the person you have been longing to be…yourself. I therefor advise to fully embrace this change and know you can arrive at college with a clean slate and no labels. Do not hide, but rather take advantage of the fact that you are not defined by what others think of you because they will not create a stereotype for anyone to fit. Just be yourself.

Amy

I discovered a strength in myself and an ability to adapt to new situations and people. During my undergraduate education, I really became more outgoing. Many of my classes required group projects, which helped in this development. :)

Kali

I have learned a lot about myself and people in general. College has allowed me be to independent and see what life is like out on my own while still providing me with support if i should need it. It has helped me to be more aware of what else is going on in the world and taught me why it is important to care about not just what goes on in Minnesota or the U.S., but everywhere. It has taught me to think differently and see the world in different ways. It was also taught me that people are different and unique and that just because I don't think the same way someone else does doesn't mean they have to be wrong or unintelligent it can simply be different. College has also provided me with useful knowledge i will apply in my future career. It is giving me the tools I need to be successful in the future and allow me to do a good job at whatever i do.

Devon

The most I have personally got out of my experience at college is opening up and finding the real me. I have gotten to know a variety of many different people and I find that I have something in common with each and every one of them. It's nice to go some where and start fresh. Make new friends, explore different places and each of these different adventures helps you discover who you really are. You find out how hard your parents have it with you around the house. And you learn the value of a good education and the responsiblity of going to class that you are paying for and that means a whole new thing. I have gotten the most out of who I am and the things and people who have helped me along my journey. I now know a whole different person than who I was throughout them highschool years and I can say that I am proud of who I've become. And I have college to thank for helping me to open my eyes to find that person.

It's made me a more independent person and much more focused on my academics. I've grown a lot since trasnferring to this college and I'm glad I chose to come here. I am more involved in school activities and organizations (Habitat for Humanity, STLF, Blood Drives, Campus Clean-ups). It has been extremely eye-opening in regards to my impact on the environment, not just in setting out recycable cans but in giving information on other ways to help the environment. Coming to this school has definitely changed me for the better and I'm grateful for that.

Courtney

I view life differently now. The people around me seem more tangable. My dreams are becoming a reality, and I know I never would have felt this way if I had attended a different college and had been encouraged to persue a different major. The world is changing in front of me, and now I've begun to see that change. I am becoming that change. I strongly feel that attending the University of Minnesota Morris has not only changed my life, but has made me the person I am, and the person I will be.

Sara

The most important thing about the transition into college life is to slow down and take things one at a time. Don't try to meet everybody in a week, or join every club you can. Stick to what really interests you, and don't worry about it. You're an amazing person, and you're going to do great. Good luck--You're going to love it!

Yvette

Knowing what I now know and experiencing the things I have in this past year, I would have a lot to say to my former self. One thing I would definitely say is ?You made a great call graduating high school in two years and taking college courses.? I worked hard to get where I am today, a college junior at 18 years old, and I would make sure my 16 year old self knew that it was worth the effort. The most important message my old self should know is that the hard work and limited play time is always worth the rewards in the end. It is the only way to grasp and keep a hold of what you have been reaching for. Another thing I would tell her, is to always have the courage to talk to a lot of people and never be afraid to show your real self. Having experienced three different universities I have met many people and chosen the wrong friends as well as great ones. My past self should know that she won't always choose the right people but every relationship is worthwhile and teaches a great lesson.

Stacy

Hey...umm...I know you have class, and this is probably more than a little weird. I am you...but I have to tell you about college. Just listen for a few minutes. Now, you have to take risks. Don't just sit in your dormroom and wait for people to come to you. They won't. You have to go out there and start a conversation. Ask for names and make small talk, maybe bring a game and ask to play (Phase 10 is your best bet). I know, that's not really us, but just do it. And risk-taking applies to schoolwork as well. Don't just take classes that sound easy. College is for a challenge. I know you don't know what you're going to do with your education yet, but that's why you have to pick a wide range of subjects. If you hate them or they are too hard, drop them and take something else. At least you tried! And please balance everything. I know you love friends, but wait until after your homework is done. You'll go crazy otherwise. Just do your best! ...Now get our butt to class!

Taylor

A chapter of your life ends here, but in that, a new one begins. Don't fret about making new friends - you'll have plenty, more than you know what to do with. Don't fret about your major; you'll figure that out later. Apply for those scholarships; even if you don't get them, it's good to say you tried, especially for your dad's sake. Stay in touch with your friends from high school; they are great people and some very good friends. Remember all of those things that happened in high school that you want to be free of? Be free of them. Leave them behind. It's now or never, and now's a great time to start fresh. So start fresh - be who you are and no one else - and be open to new people and ideas. Be slow to judge; you've heard this before but in this case it is vital. Be accepting of others and learn that you can make a big difference if you use your voice to speak for those who don't have one in this world. Do not be afraid or discouraged. You'll be great!

Kaitlyn

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior. I would tell my self to just relax and not to stress or worry about college because it will be fun and being away from home and my friends and family turn out find. I would tell myself to just follow my gut and realize that no matter where I'm going to make the best out of situation. You may be leaving your friends and family that you've had for a long time but there are just some of the people you will be friends with in your lifetime and it's time to meet some new people and have new experiences. Finally I would tell myself that change is good and going away from the place that I've lived my entire life will help me discover who I really am and what I really believe. Don't be afraid to show who you really are or to follow your dreams.

Morgan

As a High School student, it was my aim to separate from my family - not completely, of course, but to become independent and begin my own life. I have learned the value of parental input into decision-making, and I have come to appreciate all that my parents have done for me as I've grown. The advice I'd give myself if I could re-do my transition into College life would be to allow more parental input into my selections - both of the college, the location, and the courses I've chosen. The wisdom they have gleaned from their life could only benefit me, and I now understand that I don't have to personally learn my lessons the most difficult way possible - by making wrong choices and suffering the consequences. I want to be independent, but I'd also like to be wise. With wisdom so available to me, it's really a bad choice to shun it. There's no one else on the planet that wants the best for me as much as my parents do - no one who loves me more. I was really dumb and prideful not to realize that.

Stephen

I would tell myself that there is no real need to worry about any of the things that you thought would go wrong. As a senior I was worried that I wouldn't make any friends, and that the friends that I had in High School would grow distant and I would lose touch with them. This led me to become rather intrverted at the beginning of my college carreer. I have met so many wonderful people at UMM that I feel rather sheepish ever doubting their integrity and that I wouldn't fit in there. In addition to that I would make mention to myself that mistakes you made in High School don't follow you to college so you don't have to hide from them. I think in general I would tell myself that you need to be outgoing and not be bothered about the past, because that is exactly what it is; the past. Nothing you can do can change it so there isn't any need to worry about it. Go out and enjoy yourself and meet all the wonderful people that life will throw at you. Just avoid people called Dan.

Paige

Don't be scared to leave home. It will be hard, no doubt, but your family will always be there. Make alot of new friends and don't let people who think they are better than you walk over you. Life is too short to be stressed out and let that happen. Get involved with things you enjoy on campus and don't be afraid to join things to make friends. Also make academics a big priority! I know it will be tempting to dink around your first year, but really your education is what your here for. Get good grades, make lots of friends and enjoy college while your there!

Jason

Pick a University with many academic options and with a wide range of people and views. Living in a dorm is a great way to exposure yourself to new people and new ideas.

Lisa

Some advice I give to students looking for the "right" college is to know what they really want. Something as simple as the size of a college can make a huge difference between schools. College is the time to discover oneself, so giving in to peer pressure easily is not the best option. Put yourself out there and try out a new activity, something that you may have always wanted to try- rock climber, newspaper writer, performing artist, radio station disc jockey, etc. Partying or video games are fun, but they can become addictions and take away from one's college experience. My final piece of advice for students and worthwhile college experiences: make healthy choices, build lasting friendships, define yourself, and build your resume.

Sally

The University of Minnesota, Morris is a welcoming and extremely friendly school that will accept you as you. The liberal arts feel gives opportunities to express yourself in a number of ways, including arts, theater, or joining one of the many clubs and extra-curricular activities. It is set in a small town (about 5,000 people) which makes it feel like home, even if you are hundreds or thousands of miles from your family. It is easy to establish a new family at this university with peers, community members, and even faculty/staff. If you are looking for a serious, well-rounded education filled with cultural experiences and lifelong friends, this is the perfect school for you. I would recommend it to anyone.

Nathan

school visits are very important. it made my decision happen, and I am very happy with that decision.

Taryn

The best advice I can first of all give to parents is, let your kids make their own decisions. It is just fine to give your input, but the decision to go to college is their choice, and the decision of which school to go to is their choice. The most important part of going to school is the experiences you have while you are there. It is very difficult to have great experiences when you are unhappy with the school you are at. The best advice I can give a student about finding the right college for them is to make sure you look into several schools so you know what you like in a school and you know what you dislike in a school. By looking at many schools you will be able to see the good things about some schools, the bad things about other schools, and hopefully find the perfect combination for you. Pick the school you will be happiest at.

Sara

My advice to parents and their children going off to college is to the parents, actually participant in the decision making process of where your child goes to school. Yes it in the end is your childs decision but it is to big of decision that needs some guidance. To all paretns just because your little babies are all grown up and going off to college doesn't mean your guidance is not need. Also, take your time and make sure that the school really fits you. Maybe go visit more the one time, just to make sure. Advice to the students going off to college is don't get all wrapped up in the partying. I know some schools have a bigge reputaion then others but every school is a party school. Yes you are there to have fun make new friends but you are also there for an education. So just have fun with caution, there is more to school then just partying, you do have to go to class.

Michaela

I would advise parents and students to vist the colleges they are interested in. They should set up meetings with the programs and faculty that are in the fields they are interested in.

Shannon

I visited as many colleges as I could, and applied everywhere I was interested. Many schools have waived application fees (or have the ability to do so), making it fairly easy to delay a choice a bit longer. Take the time to visit the schools you're really interested in, and after a tour and meeting a professor, wander into a student commons and talk to a student or two. See how friendly they are (but excuse them if they have to get to class). Ask them their opinion of the college. Plan your visit around a sporting event. Do students show a lot of school spirit? This might also give you another opportunity to ask students their opinion of their school. Also check admissions standards to make sure they are the fairly high, but not way above your head. You want to get in, but to have classes at an appropriate academic level for you, strive to fall near the 'average' scoers for the campus. Do a little hands-on research, and the right school will sort of find you.

John

Tour the colleges. This gives the students the feeling of what the campus atmosphere is. Talk to the students at that college. Ask them what life is like, what happens on the weekends, and how the academics are. Finally college is what you make of it. If you have a bad attitude, or don't feel the right vibe then something needs to change, whether it's the college itself, or the student.

Shilo

Start looking at colleges early (around winter of junior year) but don't try to look at too many. Think about how close you want to be at home, what classes/major your looking for, how large the school is, is it a suitcase campus (everyone goes home on the weekends), what is job placement like after you graduate. There are so many things to think about so if you visit a campus and it clicks with you go with your gut feeling. When in college, make the most of your experience my being apart of many different groups. Don't limit yourself to things that you've already been apart of in high school. Widen your horizons and meet new people. Also, don't go home ever weekend because this is the time that you bond with your floor the most!!! They're like your new familiy and if you leave everyweekend you won't get to know them and it makes for a horrible expereince. Have fun but make good choices and you will have a great time.

Nichole

I would tell students that, in order to have the best experience in college, they should research colleges/universities early. They should make sure that the college that they choose is the right one for them. If they grew up in a rural area, they may enjoy attending a more rural school and vice versa. Also, students should be open minded to not only new ideas, but to new types of people. The college experience is about learning who you are in the world and learning about people and ideas that are different from your own.

Cody

Find a college that feels right to you. Money is always an issue when figuring out what college to go to but there are a lot of great colleges that teach as well as a private college for half the price. Try classes that you enjoy doing like if Math was your favorite subject in High school take a Math class and see if you want to major in it. Be involved with things that you are good at like acedemics, sports, arts, etc... If you don't really know what you want to do in life right now that is okay because there are people at college that will help you find your passion in life.

Sara

Tour the colleges you are interested in, Find out what financial aid packages they offer and the {4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of students receiving financial aid, Understand the amount and type of research at the university of interest, and what major has the most opportunities/is most well-known, GET INVOLVED when you're an undergrad, Make relationships with your professors and MAINTAIN THEM (they will be the key to your future careers!), and ENJOY yourself-- if you're not studying what you enjoy, if you don't feel like you can be yourself, it's not going to get much better as the semesters continue!

Alex

Finding the right college is all about gut instincts I believe.If you find a college that is great for what you want to go into, it may not be a right fit for you neccessarily. You have to find a school where you can be yourself. Unless you're being completely yourself, you're not going to be able to fully enjoy and appreciate your college experience. College years are supposed to be the best of your life- the ones where you find yourself and your meaning in life. When choosing a college, you'll want to wait until you find one where you know you're supposed to be. The perfect college is like a great pair of shoes... they have to fit just right for you to be able to stride.