University of Nebraska at Omaha

« See more reviews of University of Nebraska at Omaha

For certain departments, the academic advisors are not faculty members. This makes it difficult for them to know what classes are being offered during the next school year and has resulted in some students being misinformed when doing academic planning. Other advisors have so many advisees that they give bad advice just because they do not know the student well. I have been perfectly satisfied doing my own academic planning, but other students may not know what to do. Parking is probably UNO most notorious fault. Too many for faculty, virtually none for students.

The parking around campus. The shuttle system was alright, but the buses were not always in good condition. For instance, I know of two occasions when they broke down. Buying a parking pass was expensive, and it did not gaurantee a spot. When it would snow, which was often, they did not clear many walkways and getting around was difficult. For me, the parking got so frustarting at points that it would lead to skipping more classes than I should have. I would regularly miss 4 to 6 classes per semester because it was difficult to find avaliable parking spots.

I think the worse thing about the school is connected with one of the best things about it. This school is for independent personalities. I have found that many students that have undecided majors or need guidance in finding their career paths have a difficult time at this school. The advisors are great at helping the students obtain their career goals, but are not so great at helping students find and start those career goals. This school is a commuter school and you really are on your own, it's one thing you must be prepared for.

The worst thing about UNO is that not all of the professors are great. Some of them really are and encourage their students in practical ways, but some of them are just there to earn a living and consequently put little effort into their lectures. The University has a program that takes results from anonymous student surveys to evaluate professor performance, but apparently its too hard to replace mediocre professors with better ones, because some classes are just not worth going to.

The administrative office, I had a lot of confusion and trouble signing up for my new student orientation. Because I was a transfer student I had a seperate one from the incoming freshmen, but when I was told to sign up for one I wasn't told or made aware of that. So I had to try and get a hold of the office and it took me 3-4 phone calls and 3 different emails to get things straightened out. That's just one example. I haven't had a pelasent expereice with any staff.

The worst thing about UNO is the parking situation. If you live on campus you are forced to buy an expensive parking pass, and if you live off campus you have to buy a pass if you want to be able to park on campus. These parking passes are expensive even though the parking at UNO is unefficient. On average, it takes about 15 mins to find a parking spot and sometimes I don't find one at all, meaning I have to park off campus even though I have a parking pass.

I wish the University of Nebraska at Omaha had more classes taught by more professors and less Graduate Teaching Assistants. In the classroom I firmly believe a student is able to learn more with a professor who has taught the subject or class for years and who's policies tend to be more gracious and fair than a Graduate TA who has little experience teaching.

Though it has the title of "university" it seems to be more like a community college. It's really difficult to get to know people here, because people want to go to class and leave. A small percentage dorm here, so you don't have the opportunity to make friends from your dorm building. It still remians to be a commuter college.

The worst thing about my current school is the parking. I can never find parking in the parking lots close to my dorm so I have to park in the parking garage. What's bad about this is the parking garage is about a 20 minute walk, and at night it is dangerous to walk by yourself to campus from there.

That it's primarily a commuter campus in the heart of the city, and therefore lacks some of the traditional campus atmosphere. This is being radically corrected by construction of more on-campus housing, but I fear that I won't see much change in its' atmosphere during my tenure here.