University of New Mexico-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Mexico-Main Campus

There is so much diversity and richness in culture... the people here are so friendly, accepting, and willing to try new things. They love the way New Mexico is different. The university offers great financial aid based both on necessity and merit and there is no lack of opportunities for a student. Dreams are within easy reach. The professors care about you and about their realm of expertise, and are all eager to share their own experiences and make goals a reality for their students. The campus is beautiful, close to breathtaking mountains and a wealth of outdoor activities.

My school is unique compared to other schools I've considered because of the convience it has to offer its students. On campus, UNM has a building on campus called "Student Health and Services" (SHAC). "SHAC" is for counseling students on different topics and they hold workshops that really help students deal with different struggles that college gives. They also offer their health services to students that are injured or become sick. My school is unique because they show that they care about each student and each student's well being.

UNM has always played a large role in Albuquerque?s social, educational, and artistic life. It is because of this that I was familiar with UNM at a younger age and thus enrolling in this campus felt comfortable; there was no stress in enrolling quite literally. Plus UNM has many programs and research opportunities due to its close relationship to the city that are too good to pass up. I feel another deciding factor is the location, to gain the level of education here on UNM at any other university would have required me to move.

The architecture of UNM is very different than any other university, all the buildings are in a pubelo style with modern adobe construction. The style is called Pueblo Revival, which first started at the University of New Mexico in 1908. The Pueblo Revival style gives the University a very unique regional identity. Students who are attending UNM from out of state are always amazed at how unique the style is and how it shapes the New Mexican culture at the University.

I really enjoy the University Honors College. The classes are no bigger than sixteen people and the professors that teach in it volunteer their time and intellect to teach students more about a particular subject. All of the staff involved in UHC take a personal interest into the students and strive to broaden the base of every student that walks through the doors.

Compared to other schools, what drew me to UNM was the fact that I had the opportunity to be myself. There were so many unique people that I didn't feel out of place whatsoever. Wether it be playing sports, studying for the next chemistry test, or simply catching lunch with some friends, there were new faces daily that welcomed me in and made me feel at home.

The theatre program at this school is the best in the state. It is extremely well rounded. Even if a student comes to be an actor, the student is required to take classes in all other aspects of the theatre world. If the theatre program is run this way, I expect other departments to have the same approach to their subject.

What's unique about my school in comparison to other schools I considered is that it's an arborarium. I grew up on the East Coast in the middle of woods and somewhat recently moved to New Mexico, the desert. Being on campus makes me feel at home, and it just makes going to class all the more rewarding.

My school is unique because we are very diverse and very accepting of everyone attending the university. Also, the people that attend this school are very artistic and their is no pressure to conform. A social life does not depend on money, Greek life, etc, it is very equal.

Overall I like UNM, it's a good school that lets people be themselves. It can be expensive to get books and parking but my advise is to rent school books from amazon or some other place that is cheaper. UNM is even offering book rentals now that are pretty cheap.