University of New Mexico-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Mexico-Main Campus

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

The University of New Mexico, like many other universities, falls victim to a number of stereotypes; like the ever popular, "all college students do is party", stereotype portrayed by a number of movies and TV shows. And while there are some students who have a couple drinks every now and then, we don't spend our every waking moment drunk. In fact, according to a campus survey done by our own Office of Substance Abuse Prevention, on average students only have about 4 drinks per week with 41% reporting no drinking in an average week. Another, silly, yet fairly common stereotype and misconception about the University of New Mexico is that we are all Hispanic in race or that we are not even a part of the United States. Having spent the last 4 years here and having constantly educated people about on these topics, I am proud to say that being located in the southwest, right between Texas and Arizona, New Mexico and UNM in general has one of the most culturally diverse populations in the region, drawing students from all across the country, as well as the world. And while New Mexico will always be home to a large number of Hispanics, our amazing international exchange program and scholarships has given me the incredible opportunity to meet friends from all throughout South America, Europe, and Asia.

There are several common stereotypes of students at the University of New Mexico. The one I most commonly hear about are the "Greeks" meaning the people who belong to Fraternities or Sororities. Some say they're bad influences, some say the groups have helped them adjust to college life. I have not participated in a Fraternity or Sorority; however, I have attended some of the events they've held in order to help people, such as a book drive that was held to help underprivileged children learn to read and gave them access to learning materials. I also know that there are certain Fraternities that are "honors" frats that are focused on education and success. UNM is diverse and that makes for a lot of student groups that focus on different aspects of community living, education, sports, and hobbies.

I am not sure of any vivid stereotypes of UNM students, however, some people may dismiss the entire institution simply because it admits students with a pretty low GPA (2.5 being the absolute minimum) and therefore think that it is too easy to be admitted and form their entire opinion of the school based on that. However, this doesn't mean that UNM is not a great school! Any school becomes what the student going there makes of it. The school itself is not going to be good or bad all on its own.

A common stereotype is that because UNM is in such a secluded part of the world that only residence of New Mexico attend, when in fact this is so false! I am from California and it shocked me at how many different kinds of people actually pick UNM as there college. Its like a melting pot of young adults from different states, countries, ethnicities and backgrounds! I felt welcomed and was able to meet so many people that i would not have met if i stayed in state.

Compartively speaking I think the University of New Mexico is easier than other Universities, so I guess the stereotype is that we're all either high or stupid. The truth is I've never seen so many different people in my life, for a college there is a suprisingly small amount of douchebag frat kids. There is quite a bit of artsy hipster kids and so many girls that are smart and beautiful it's like waking up to PG rated Victoria's Secret commercial every morning.

The University of New Mexico has a very diverse body of students. Albuquerque is considered the melding pot of the U.S. and is home to several different nationalities, backgrounds, and life styles. Any student coming to UNM for the first time would easily find a group of peers that would welcome them and make them feel at home.

The Stereotype of students at my school are Athletes. We are considered athletes because of the name that our Men's basketball team has made for us. I do not feel that this is correct because most of us are not there on an Athletic scholarships and are trying to get a good foundation and hopefully go on to grad school and so forth.

At the University of New Mexico there is a large mixture of people, not those just fresh out of college. Due to this combination of people from many different cultures, generations, backgrounds etc., the only label fit to describe this campus is diversity.

UNM is a place where there no stereotypes. People from around the country and the world come to this campus which provides an arrangement of people.

Common stereotypes of UNM would probably include, in my opinion, a very liberal crowd. At least the majority of people seem to be arts students.