University of Northern Colorado

« See more reviews of University of Northern Colorado

My most helpful advice for picking the right college is to find the college that has been highly rated in the area you want to major in. It's important to have teachers who like what they're teaching and will do their best job. Some other advice is to study hard, but have fun. Make sure you set aside as much time as you need to fully study the subjects you are assigned, but also leave time for fun. You don't want college to be a nightmare when all you do is study and worry about your grades. Having fun is a big part of life and college is a great time to meet new people and try new activities. Another thing is to look into future programs like internships and job opportunities. Do your best to get a jump start on the other students by finding the better internships before them. A good internship is a big help for getting a good job once you graduate. But most of all, like I already said, HAVE FUN!

College has a very difficult transition for me. My finacial disadvantage caused me to lose out on going to my dream and end up settling for community college for this year. Academically, college has not been to difficult. I took AP courses that helped me transitition to the level of difficulty and work load. I have really enjoyed that freedom that come with college. I have the creavtive option to choose when I go to school and how many classes I get to take. I love the fact that I can have an interesting conversation with whom ever I meet! College, to me, will mean a lifetime of not having to struggle to find a job or settle for anything that comes my way. Having a education will get me further than I can describe. Overall winning this scholarship will give me the motavation to transfer back to my dream college and relieve me of finacial stress and worry that my educatoin has put on my mother and sisters.

I would start off by telling myself not to worry about fitting in anywhere because in whatever you do, there will be people there that have the same interests and talents you do. Another important thing is to not be a stranger and if you want to meet someone, then go and introduce yourself to them because if you become close to them, your friendship will last a lifetime. Now down to the nitty gritty part, I would explain to them how much more effort you have to put into the classes and how much more studying is required of you. Telling them to start off early in the senior year and get into good study habits and making yourself do something that you don?t want to because it will definitely pay off in the long run. Other than that, I would tell myself to have fun while you can because I?ve talked to too many people saying they wish they were still in their college years with the freedom that it entailed.

Before coming to college, I remember asking everyone how they survived in college. After experiencing almost two years of college, I have a pretty good idea what my answer would be for incoming freshmen or even myself if I went back in time. Most importantly, to help the transition I would recommend getting involved as much as possible. It is far more unlikely to experience "home sickness" if freshmen don?t seclude themselves in their dorm rooms. Equally important, to get used to the work load, I would recommend getting as much homework done in between classes; this ensures for a light homework load at night, further allowing for involvement in activities. Above all, I would tell myself that college is just like high school, but with more freedom. If I would have known all this information when starting college, I would have been less stressed and less worried about transitioning into college life.

The number one piece of advice I would give myself was to enjoy the time I got to spend with families and friends. After graduation, my friends and I all went our different ways. I thought that we would still get to see each other a lot, either in person or through the computer. However, my friends and I have kind have lost touch and do not get to see each other very often. I miss them very much and wish I appreciated the time we spent together in high school more. This goes the same for family. Now that I am living away from home and have a job, I do not get to see my family as much. I used to think my parents were annoying and overbearing, but I miss the moments I got to spend with them. I definitely appreaciate the time I get to spend with my friends and family more than I did in high school. I just wish I appreciated it a little more in high school when I got to spend a lot of time with them.

From my community college experience, I have gleaned the basic classes and skills which will allow me to succeed when I continue on to the University level. This college experience has helped me to learn how to prioritize, organize, develop a study schedule, and discover my true passion: languages. Additionally, it has helped me to save money- money which I will need to pay for the University level education that I so desire! I'm glad I made the smart decision to complete my two year degree so that I could sort myself out; rather than heading to a large, pricey school without having any idea of what I wanted to do. My experience thus far allows me to improve in the career world- even something as simple as a two year degree puts me ahead of many other canidates. If I win the scholarship, I'll be freeing myself and my family from a large amount of financial stress, so that would be great.

I would tell myself that I need to stay focused. My freshman year that was the biggest problem that I had. Do not let peer pressure influence the way that you live your life. Do not stay up late and always be prepared for class. I could have done so much better than I did my freshman year if I had been prepared for every class session and was able to engage in classroom discussion in order to better understand the material. Another big piece of advice would be go to class. I was a very good high school student and have done very well in college thus far but it takes so much more effort to get a good grade when you skip class, even if it is only once a semester. My last piece of advice would be use your resources! You are paying for everything that is given to you on campus so take advantage of it all: eat at the dining hall, use tutoring services, go to the library to study, etc.

The most important advice I can give is to tour the campuses you're interested in. I was completely set on choosing one university while I was still in high school, but as soon as I came and toured the campus I currently attend I was sold. I would also suggest doing as much research as possible on the school(s) you're interested in. Make sure each of the schools you plan on applying to has the program(s) you want to enter and any extra curricular activities you may be interested in. Also, if possible, meet an potential professors you will have. I attend the music school at my university, and I meet with the professor of my instrument at least once a day. If we didn't get along, I wouldn't have been able to continue at this school. Finally, make sure any college credits you already have will transfer to your chosen school(s). Not all credits transfer, and not all schools accept them.

As I was starting my high school years my family moved across state to take care of my grandfater whom lost his wife to cancer. Saddly His ressidence isn't in the best school district so I took it upon my self to take home study classes so that I may further my knowledge by takeing colledge classes aswell. As I was planing my futuer out it all seemed so easy, but little did I know the challenges that lied ahead. I started at my local community colledge with an art history class that was farly easy due to my amazing teacher and his good teaching skills. Once I got into Biology it was a different storie and I wassoon faced with new challendges that helped me to gain new studying skills. My newly remodled campus is frendly and open to great diversity. In this past colledge semester I have been opened to the challenges of schooling and have noticed the difference good teaches can make.

Money is not everything. Just because going to school in town and living at home saves a lot of money, does NOT mean that is the perfect school. Look in state because tuition is very similar for in-state schools and apply for scholarships. Additionally, it is probably better if people did not room with their high school friends freshman year. I have seen good friendships destroyed by people living in tight quarters for too long; compromise is how successful roomates are made. If there is a problem, mention it immediately and solve it, don't let it go unsaid and then become a bigger, unsolvable problem. Get to know the R.A. They really are there to help. Also, get involved on campus. It helps new friendships form between people with similar intrests. Most of all, have fun. Yes, college is for studying and getting a degree, but it is also a great time to explore new interests.