University of Northern Iowa

« See more reviews of University of Northern Iowa

The students here on campus are, for the most part, pretty accepting. Since we are a smaller university in northeast Iowa, UNI students are predominantly white, middle class, Christians. However, there are students of several races, ethnic backgrounds, and nationalities. There are safe zone signs posted in several places around campus including many professors' office doors indicating they are safe for the LGBT community. There are some cliques just from people getting together from different activities and stuff, but for the most part everyone is pretty intermingled. For example, my freshman year, my closest group of friends on my floor would have been from completely different high school cliques ranging from the jock to the nerd.

My classmates are not very diverse racially, but for the most part they are all outgoing, polite, hard-working and kind. The students here at UNI seem to be your typical college students, staying up well into the night to study and do homework, but also enjoying hanging out with peers. Overall, I would say my classmates here are welcoming and friendly. I do not think I've met one judgmental or rude person here.

My classmates are friendly people from the Mid West with very good work ethic and morals. Though the majority are caucasion, they are very diverse in thought and incredibly open to people of other ethnicity. Most grew up in towns smaller than 20,000 people. However, people of other race are usually from much larger cities. My peers are easy to get along with and perform lots of group work.

My classmates here at UNI are nice. When needing help they will often be willing to help out. Also when working in groups I have not had any bad group to work with. Everyone is always there to give their portion of the work and help the group do the best that we can.

Most of my classmates are very motivated individuals. The quality of work that they put into everything is so much greater than anything I saw in high school. Its a really self-motivating environment just saying how well everyone around you performs.

Most of my classmates are shy at first, but as the semester continues, most of the students open up to each other, it just takes some time for that to happen, but after they open up, they are fun to talk to and helpful.

Focused and driven; it's impossible to call UNI students anything but thrilled to be here, and although we come in all shapes and sizes, we are all powered by a single goal: to succeed.

All of my classmates come from different backgrounds and beliefs, but we are all here to get an education, and we work together to acheive our goals.

Many of the students in my classes are just going to college for a piece of paper that says they graduated, not to get an education toward a career.

Small professor to student ratio except for a couple classes, teachers are very open to communication, fellow classmates are nice and friendly.