Philadelphia, PA

University of Pennsylvania

« See more reviews of University of Pennsylvania

Penn does have more Jewish students than some of the other Ivys, but it's not Brandeis. Penn is very diverse and this includes religion as well as ethnicity. The Asian steretype comes from students that are not used to being surrounded by a diverse student body but it is no way a bad thing or an overwhelming amount. All the schools within the University are at Ivy level, and although they are all different, every student at Penn works hard. The only stereotype I'd say has some truth is about Wharton. It is the hardest school to get into at Penn, and lots of the students have a lot of money there. As to the partying, it is common but not a necessity. I wouldn't say it is more than other colleges. The frat scene is very accessible but not overwhelming. If you are looking to drink you'll have no trouble but if the opposite is true, you'll also have a great time.

We are definitely the Social Ivy - having experienced many other Ivy social scenes, I can for sure say that Penn's is number one. I feel like people here have a great balance of work and play - we get our stuff done and we're all smart, but we know how to go out and have a good time. As far as being preppy/stuck up, there are definitely people like that here but I'd say the majority aren't that way at all. Although, I do admit that most people have a superiority complex when it comes to students from Drexel - no one really wants to associate with them.

Only for a small portion of the population. We do tend to be career-minded, much more than the typical college (probably because we have nursing, engineering, and business schools for undergraduates), but I find that there are quite a few people who don't party hard and also a lot who are not rich & preppy. We have very active minority populations, a strong LGBTQ community, and good groups with religious focus. It's a mixed bag. Except that there really are a lot of Jews.

There is definitely a large contingency of Jewish and wealthy people at Penn, but I don't think it by any means defines the school. There is a pretty diverse student population, although the majority of students seem to be from the northeast. I don't know how Penn compares to the other ivies in terms of being the party ivy...but there are a lot of people both at the bars and in the library on the weekend so I don't know how accurate that stereotype is.

I find that Penn does have a lot more fun than the other ivies, especially when it comes to large open parties, but this isn't saying much (read: Ivy leaguers have no fun). Also, the supposed threat from being in West Philly is completely blown out of proportion and almost completely preventable.

Partially. There is a significant Jewish population on campus (which you can witness by the seemingly isolated campus during services on Friday nights). There is also a significant Asian population (just look in Huntsman Hall)

Not necessarily. Note that Penn is unique as an Ivy League school offering undergrad degrees in engineering, nursing, and business; these things attract a good number of people to Penn as a first choice.

To some degree, yes many students are business-oriented and rich. But it completely depends on who you choose to associate with. The work hard study hard stereotype is also true.

to an extent; students will spend the whole day in the library so they can spend the whole night out. we like to have our cake and eat it too.

Some of the above do apply to substantial portions of the student body, but not to the University as a whole