Philadelphia, PA

University of Pennsylvania

« See more reviews of University of Pennsylvania

Penn is a great school for students who have a true desire to learn and are passionate about their academic interests. Even though there are four distinct undergraduate schools, the interdisciplinary focus encourages you to take courses in many different fields and broaden your horizons. It is not the best school for students who are solely focused on maintaining a high GPA and test scores to be admitted to an Ivy League school. It is also important to be intellectually curious in order to appreciate the broad range of opportunities such as research and liberal arts seminars that Penn offers.

I think those who did not develop empathy or sympathy to a certain degree should not go to college. I feel like to graduate from high school, you should not only graduate to a higher academic learning, but also social learning. I think people should learn the reality of how most parts of the world do not have it as lucky as the United States do. Just being able to apply to college, stand, actually breathe, laugh, and smile, they should just feel blessed and reap the most out of life instead of criticizing it endlessly.

There are two types of people who shouldn't attend this school: those who aren't willing to take on a huge mental challenge and loners. If you're one or both of these types of people, Penn will make you miserable. With introductory classes like Management 100, you're immediately thrust into a class that doesn't judge you by how you perfrom individually nearly as much as it judges you by how you perform as part of a team. Not only are you challenged to perform well, you have to work with others.

Penn is a school filled with hard working people trying to get the most out of their time here. The classes are difficult, and can give you a very large workload. While it can be intense, the campus also has a lot of fun things going on, so it’s not just stress 24/7. I would say that the only people who shouldn’t come here are people looking for a more laid back atmosphere, and wouldn’t enjoy the intense, fast pace of the school.

I think a great candidate for this school would be someone who is really well-rounded and open-minded to changes and experiences that they may not have ever considered before. I think this university prides itself in the diverse lifestyles and countless opportunities for students to partake in, so this person should definitely be ready to enjoy his or her time on top of the studying that comes with school.

The University of Pennsylvania is not great for people who are not passionate about what they want to do. The resources are vast and they could get lost in the crowd. People who are not used to big cities or have not been somewhat independent, would also be better off in a smaller university for the same reasons. The student body is competitive, so a good dosis of self esteem would help.

Students who don't like large cities or highly diverse communities would not enjoy this school. Also, the surrounding neighborhoods tend to have lower income groups and higher crime rates which deters people as well. This school requires a level of academic drive above that of other colleges so students shouldn't come here if they don't want to work hard and learn.

Penn has something for everyone, for the most part. As a university, it has four undergrad programs - Arts and Sciences, Engineering, Nursing, and Business school. There are countless classes and seminars available in almost any topic imaginable. It's difficult to imagine someone coming here and not finding themselves really interested in what's going on.

a very driven hard working person, who wants to succeed. a person must be putting in the hours in order to excel. at the same time you cant get discouraged if other people are doing better or getting better grades. its not a sprint here but a marathon. the most you can do is just focus on yourself and figure out how to do well.

If you're not interested in working hard and taking personal responsibility for your education, this is not the school for you. It requires indiviudal motivation and hardwork; but if you are willing to put in the time, is very academically rewarding.