University of Phoenix-Sacramento Valley Campus

« See more reviews of University of Phoenix-Sacramento Valley Campus

Since returning to school five weeks ago I have learned the importance of researching my idea before commiting to it. In the last five weeks I have written three essays in my Business Information Systems class. I started out with an idea for each essay and created the outline. As I researched the details of my idea I found that there were much better options available and the whole essence of the paper changed dramatically and I had to start over. This didn't frustrate me as I felt I was learning valuable lessons with each experience. Students are also required to do presentations using Power Point. I have done three of them. Putting together the slides is easy enough, however, the presentation itself is a challenge for me. After rehearsing several times at home I still stumbled over my words and was sweating profusely. I accept my nervousness and speak up in class every chance I get so that I will overcome this problem faster. The second and third presentations were easier than the first. It is very important to overcome my presentation delima and the University of Phoenix is providing me with the tools to do so.

At this point, it's hard to make a big impact on your GPA to assist you in getting scholarships, schools, whatever. Focus hard on actually learning the material so it will be easier in college. Find a job that you enjoy the people you work with, and don't be afraid to take a higher paying job as your coworkers don't take it personally. You need to keep up a savings of some sort and always be looking towards the future: job, car, holidays (the things they require you to spend money on), etc. Budget your money and always make sure you are making more than you are spending. College life can be tempting with parties, various drugs people try, and just in general over-socialization. Stay away from the parties if you have important things coming up like tests, don't ever try the drugs (I haven't, but I've seen enough to know it'll mess you up) and keep your focus where it should be: ON COLLEGE. The money and time isn't worth wasting when there are so many other things you can do with them. Work hard and get your dream job.

Shannon, twelve years from now you will be a professional student at the University of Phoenix within one year of completing your bachelors degree. I know the way you feel right now you are unsure about what it is you want to do with the rest of your life and you are excited at the opportunity to be independent. If I could impart a piece of wisdom with the hopes that you take it to heart and really understand, I would tell you not to wait to start your education. I know you are burnt out from homework, getting up early to go to class, and coming home late from work, but the effort you put into yourself is worth it; you are worth it. You have potential to do so many great things and the experiences in your life will shape who you are. Continue to grow, to learn, and to succeed. You are capeable of so much greatness if you take advantage of the opportunities ahead of you. One last piece of advice, stay away from a guy you will meet at training in California he may look and act nice but he will break your heart.

I have learned how to use the computer, I now know how to do research papers, and write papers apa format style. The university requires all students do participate in learning teams, I apprieciate having a team to help me get the best out of my studies, the team is invaluable, when I need help with an assignment the team is always there. The team is my second family, we spend alot of time together, we help each other with out personal life as well. The most valuable part of the learning team is that I will have a group of friends for life. The purpose of the learning teams is to prepare you for working with teams in your careers after you graduate. I have learned how to put myself in others shoes and not to judge others based on what I percieve about them. I love doing the volunteer work required for my courses, it has taught me to not take life for granted, as my life can change at a blink of an eye. I learned to be humble and to count my blessing and be thankful for what I have.

As a senior in High School I was a mother of two children. I had my first during my sophomore year and my 2nd my senior year. I had good grades and desperately wanted to attend college. Having the kids I thought I had messed up that chance. I put it on the back burner and decided to work to support my kids. I was living on my own. I would go back and tell myself that I have it in me. That my children will benefit from the education I receive and nothing is more important than being a good role model for them. I would tell myself that there is financial aid, scholarships and Grants to help and that I 'm not alone. I would explain that if I go to work it WILL take me years to move up the corporate ladder and if I sacrifice now...while I'm young, while the kids are young, it will payoff. A degree is important, not only for monetary reasons, but for my own self esteem and self worth. Being a young mother is going to be tough, why make it harder than it has to be

If I could go back in time as a high school senior there are a lot of things that I would tell myself. I have learned everything from trial and error. I have grown up so much since attending college. When I was in high school not so much. I was very young when I graduated high school and did not take real life seriously. From being out there in the real world and being in the classrooms and learning all this valuable knowledge has made me realise how important it is to take it seriously not only for yourself, but to build a better future. I learned the hard way, so I would definitely tell myself to have a plan laid out of how I want to obtain my educational goals and if obstacles arise, how to overcome them. Also I would tell myself to always reach for my fullest potential and extend out all my resources to succeed.

I would try to explain to myself the truth of school. Something I was so blissfully unaware of back then. I just didn't realize the real importance of school. I always assumed school was just a requirement to call yourself an adult or something. I did not realize that school was designed to educate, and thus transform ones dispositon from an ignorant dependant, into a functional, informed part of society. The truth is without education, there is no set goal, no destination, and therefore no stability in life. A degree gives you a background. It gives you a sence of identity. And above all, knowledge brings about the capability of unsurmountable scenarios. Knowledge is the gateway to self enlightenment . Without it, you are bound for mediocracy. Yes ignorance is bliss, But knowledge is power!

Dear Self, I am as certain as you are that you know everything and that you have planned out for your future as a college student. Listen! You will not die if you move away from home for your first year of college. You will not die if you stay home and attend a junior college your first year. However, your dreams will die if you sit around and do nothing! So get up and get out there. If you want to continue as a student athlete, then by all means, do it! If you choose the Arts over athletics then that is fine too. Just take your time, research your school options, research careep options as well. Enjoy life. Truth is, most college students don't really know what they want or how to get it until their mid-20s. Do not stress yourself. Live and enjoy your life!

If I could go back in time, I would have taken the necessary classes required to get me accepted into a UC school. I would also make sure to start my college career off with better study habits and more focus. I would also tell myself to make friends and develop better study groups. One of the best things that happened to me at University of Phoenix, was my study group. Had I known the impact study groups could have when I first entered college, I would have successfully graduated my first time around and never even had to go to Phoenix. I would have worked much harder and graduated at much younger age saving me quite a bit of money and possibly making more money at an earlier age.

If I could go back in time to my high school senior year, I would tell myself to not grow up too fast. I started working at sixteen and moved out of my parents home at nineteen. I was too focused on gaining my independence that I could not balance both school and work. I prioritized work and my academics suffered because of that decision. Today I still have to focus on both school and work but also my own family and I want to emphasize to my daughter that higher education is very important. I now realize that I should have prioritized school first and taken advantaged of the help my family offered when I was young.