University of Phoenix-San Diego Campus

« See more reviews of University of Phoenix-San Diego Campus

My Dearest Juliet, You did not have the positive parental role models to know how to do this life thing, and I am here to tell you that the path you are going to take is only going create emptiness and financial hardships for yourself and your wonderful kids. Speaking of them, show them Now that you can rise above the teachings of your parents. You have the opportunity to become more than what you have been told. Your an amazing woman who deserves the greater things from life. You are smart, talented, creative, diverse in your knowledge based inspirational. You posses an inner pease that people in life only wish for. To further your education after high school will boost you much further than you could ever imagine. Forget about the life you were taught to live by your parents and jump into what is the best gift that you could ever do for YOURSELF. My dearest Juliet, If I would of known the incredible benefits this experience would be, I would have pushed you harder in the positive direction. Love yourself now, like you do today. Be who you are suppose to Be YOU!!

Individuals are comprised of a plethora of personality traits that he or she constructs throughout his or hers maturing process. I can remember back to my freshman year of drama class, after each individual enacted their monologue or scene the teacher would have the class respond positively and with constructive criticism. The constructive criticism was my Achilles heel, I would get so frustrated and angry at other individuals commenting or condemning what I had worked so hard for. The real issue was not those who were assessing me but instead I lacked the self-confidence to hear what others were trying appraise. If I could go back to ‘freshman me’, I would tell him “Hey Allen, it’s okay, you can make a mistake every once in a while, don’t be so highly critical of yourself”. Work more on your ability to communicate on many levels and use your good sense humor in helping to supersede more levels of formal communication. Humor facilitates viewing the world with a wild and wacky perspective yet control over where and when humor is used must be guarded advantageously as to be tactful.

A chance to advise myself of mistakes to come would be an invaluable experience. Like all teenagers I felt invincible and did not heed the advice passed on through teachers and staff. I would let myself know that it is ok to not always be working to have obscene amounts of money saved. As it stands I have nothing to show for it. Looking back I would rather have spent my time with friends or doing school work, not asking for extra shifts. Perhaps it would seem that I pushed myself pretty hard to get things done- however I did not like to rock the boat- and so never complained when in a situation not beneficial to myself. After 3 consecutive years of an ineffective math teacher- I gave up trying to follow along and chose to read novels in class. I wish that I had pushed harder to be placed into another class, with a different learning style. Ah, but to live it again I would choose to come out of my shell much sooner, to have closer friends, better relationships with those I already had, and the chance to push myself farther than anyone else would.

The advice I would give myself is that being in college is serious business, its by far different from high school. for example, if you miss a day or two of class in high school, the teachers will have the make up homework there for you or send it to your house. But im college, it is YOUR responsibility to go ask the professors what notes and assignments you missed. Your paying professors to teach you valuable information you can use in life and the real world. This is a time to buckle down and focus, yes it nice to have fun to help relieve some of the stress from studying, but not everyday is meant for that. Also take the initative to ask alot of questions, especially if you dont understand something or stay after and talk with the professor, take advantage of group discussions, tutoring and study halls, this will give you a higer advantage when it comes to test and lectures. Finally dont take on to many classes or activities so you can have time to study and time for yourself. Basically enjoy your time in college and make the best of it.

You always hear teachers say, go to school for what you want to be when you grow up and the type of career you want. But you never really know what it means until you have encountered it. As a high school senior, I am unsure of my career goals. My parents were pounding in this far-fetched career inside my head - "to become a Pediatrician." However, I did not want it for myself. Through my second year of college at UC Riverside, I switched majors twice and ended up dropping out because I was tired of figuring out what I wanted. My advice to my high school self is: "figure out what you really want that you will enjoy. College life is a process in which you find your true passion. Transitioning from high school to college is difficult. If you major in something that you don't like, don't be scared to switch to something you know you will enjoy. Persevere and don't drop out." I ended up maxing out on my financial aid loans, and have to pay $2,000 out-of-pocket expenses. That is why I am applying for scholarships now.

Hello Ms. Lura, I see that you are a longer and believe in getting a good education, but what I like to share with you is keepping your eye on the prize and staying focus on your complishments. Write down your goals and post it somewhere so that you can look back on it and highlight what you have completed. Attend college as soon as you complete high school, so that there will be no procrastination and in the long run you will have the time to pursue other options after you have achieved your goals. Keep you finances in order and try not to live above your means, because before you know it you will be able to see yourself living the good life and feeling financial secure. Experience living on campus and communication with new people, stay focus and alert. Don't be so quick to judge, keep an open mind. Strive to be all you can be and don't be afraid to step out the box. Be yourself, have integrity and honesty with whatever you do and choice. Love you and you will be loved.

I if could go back in time to talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to work hard, stay focused, and apply for as many scholarships as possible. I would tell myself not to give up, to pursue my higher education, because in the long-run it will pay off. I would remind myself that money is not everything. Instead of focusing on getting a job, I would say to focus on getting a career instead by going to school. I would tell myself that I am smart enough to continue to pursue a higher education and that I can do it. I would also tell her to not be lazy and do not be afraid to fail. Everything I want is going to be on the other side of those fears. I just have to be strong and brave. I’m capable of more and deserve to have a better life. I can pursue these dreams and accomplish more in life. Stay in school, stay focused, do not be afraid of the unknown, and trust yourself. Do not let anyone or anything get in the way of your bright future. Good luck.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would tell myself to never give up the dream. Education is one of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves. It gives us the opportunity to improve not only our lives, but others as well. It is a worthwhile stepping stone to achieve the growth that is essential to being successful in life. The commitment of time, money, and effort is well spent, and an endeavor to be proudly undertaken. Sometimes the road of achieving a goal such as a degree, is difficult and requires constant persistance, but it is attainable. As I begin to reach some of my goals by completing my courses, I realize even more, my ability to believe in myself and what I am doing. As I stated at the beginning of this piece, I would tell myself that l should never give up on my dream of having a college education, and of establishing myself in the community as a worthwhile person, who is able to give back to society in a meaningful way.

Whatever you need to do to go to college, do it. Please do not get caught up in things you cannot control, and do not let the lack of family support derail you from what you know you can accomplish. Unfortunately you will have to leave people behind, and even though it is not in your nature , you must. In order to help those you leave behind, you have to accomplish something your environment can not take away, a college education. Obtaining a college degree will be hard, and it will test the best parts of you. Paying for college will be the hardest part, and you will find yourself in a state of constant hunger. Curb your appetite, buy only what you need, and remain proactive in your search for funds to pay for your schooling. As you mature in age there will come a time in your life when you will want to own something, to manage a department, or go on vacation. If you don't obtain a college degree you will never be able to accomplish those things.

Apply to all the colleges you want to attend once the school year begins. Do not get psyched out. Just because you are doubting yourself now does not mean your future will be bleak as well. Great things will come to you, just push through this pain now. But remember, never put your health on the back burner. You will regret it in the future. If you work too hard and don't remember to take a rest break you will end up with something called fibromyalgia and trust me, you don't want to end up like your future self again. It is a very painful experience- both physically and psychologically. It makes you feel older than you are by messing with your cognitive process as well as causing phantom pain and spasms. Take care of your mind and body- they stay with your all of your life. Everything else will come to you as become more of the adult you were forced to become to early in life.