University of Portland

« See more reviews of University of Portland

The most frustrating part about the University of Portland is the view of the students on religion. UP is a Catholic school and many students identify as Catholic or they at least know the "Catholic Routine." However, being a Prosestant, I often feel misunderstood about my view on Christianity by the Catholics. Likewise, the students who don't have a religion or are non practicing are often judgemental towards Prosestants based off of things they've heard or previous experiences. Its frustrating going to a Christan school and feeling a dissconnect from the Catholics and the Non-believers.

Honestly, the food. I love nutritious, delicious food and while I was in the process of researching universies, the food options really stood out to me. Large posters are draped across the Commons with pictures of fruits and vegetables and signs reading fresh, local, organic, food but once I started working at the school cafeteria, I discovered that these advertisements were not so accurate. Not only does the food lack the healthy quality I desire, they also lack in selection. All too often I find myself in the cafeteria staring at the menus wishing for more healthier options.

The most frustrating thing about attending my school is the quality of coffee. When I order a coffee here, I am never sure what it is going to taste like. A majority of the time, I end up with an alright cup of coffee and I have no complaints, but no praise either. However, there are times when the barista over steams the milks, burns the coffee, or messes up the drink entirely. In college, coffee is a vital part to making it through late nights and early mornings and not knowing what I'm going to get is unacceptable.

I sprained my ankle once and went to the Health Center to be treated. Instead of receiving the help that I should have, I was told that all available appointment spaces were full and was told to go to ZoomCare which is off campus. I could neither walk or drive anywhere, nor did I have a car or have a solid understanding of the bus system at the time. I was definitely disappointed and frustrated with the lack of help I received from them. Thankfully my Hall Director was kind enough to drive me to the hospital and back.

Being a freshman, there isn't much that I can complain about. However, if I were to choose something that's frustrating about my school, it'd be that it's hard to see your professors during office hours. We are told that it would be good to meet and make the time to see our professors for help during their office hours. But how do they expect students to do so when their hours conflict with the time of other classes. I would hate to ask them to come in on a day they don't have to.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that a couple classes are a lot harder than I was expecting. Theology is a require class and it is something I have little background on so I find it hard to keep up with what the professor is saying. There are many quizzes and readings that are required. The professor also assigned extra books to buy at the end of the semester so that was frustrating because it was required to spend a ton more money in order to do well on one quiz.

The most frustrating thing about this school is having to take the core requirements, like Fine Arts and History. Although these core requirements are helpful and make our education more well-rounded they take up a lot of space in schedules. This then makes schedules much more rigorous, and creates an atmosphere that a student must sefficiently plan for. Although it is the most frustrating in the long run, I think it will end up benefitting every student.

The financial aid department can be extremely difficult to deal with sometimes. It can take several days to get a reply back to an email concerning loans or tuition information. They are not very good at helping ou find aid to cover what is left after scholarships, which is generally a lot. There is not that much given to normal students as athletes and those in specific schools (business, nursing, education, engineering) appear to get most o the money.

The fact that the school will not offer me financial aid. I work hard for this school and they still do not seem to care. My parents pay for my school and they can hardly afford their own lives. I know that my father may make enough to pay for my school, but he makes enough if he was only paying for my school. The cost of this school is too much, especially since my parents both attended this school and my parents have made many donations in the past.

It is a private catholic school, and yet people still get into the argument over whether the school should be following Christian ideals when it makes choices for its students. I am atheist and I have no problem with a Catholic school being Catholic, and it is very annoying to hear people whine about it like they couldn't see it coming. For instance the health center doesn't provide contraception. Well, duh. Just go off campus.