University of Portland Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Portland

Maja

The University of Portland is pretty awesome. Two of the best things, in my opinion, are the class sizes and the location. UP is considered a pretty small campus, and has a pretty small student body. My biggest class was maybe 25 students, which makes it WAY easier to learn, and professors can pay more attention to individuals. Plus you can go downtown easily on a short car ride, or the bus, and there's tons of great food options, shops and cafes. Pretty cool.

Michelle

I love UP (Go Pilots!) and its tight-knit community. We are a smaller school where people genuinely care about one another and people want to see you succeed. If you love soccer and basketball then here we are! I'm myself am not a sports person. I personally love our academia and the opportunities available to us as undergraduates and have met many incredible people who have helped me discover my passions and taken the time to satiate my thirst for knowledge. UP is a family that wishes the best upon others and wishes to produce a well-rounded student that will keep giving to the community and instigate change for the best.

Giuliana

I love my school. The University of Portland is a great school to attend for people from a variety of backgrounds and in a variety of majors. While this is a Catholic University, there are groups for many different religions on campus. Additionally, there really is no pressure to participate in religious activities. The class sizes here are one of the things that make it great. Going to a larger university, classes are often huge. Here, even the entrance level classes are no bigger than an average high school class size, with class sizes getting smaller as you get into higher-level courses. I have heard that there are a few departments were the professors are not that great, overall the professors here are highly competent and are invested in the success of their students. Additionally, they are fantastic resources for both school-related and personal topics. One additional bonus about this school is its opportunity for research participation. There are no graduate programs which means that professors look to undergraduate students to aid in their research. This is a great way to get experience that will help you determine what you might like to do with your life/major and can give you a step up in job and graduate school applications. Overall, this is a great university that I would highly recommend.

Emma

I love University of Portland! It's a small school and there are pro's and con's to that. We have an AMAZING sense of community, I have no problems making new friends on campus. University of Portland has become my second home and I feel very happy here. I never feel any pressure to look nice for class, a lot of girls don't wear makeup and wear comfortable clothes ( of course there are also girls who put on makeup and dress nice but not enough for it to be an expectation for everyone to do the same). Trust me this is a good feeling to have when you're running to your 8am class late in your pj's. Also our campus is beautiful! Class sizes are great and students participate a lot. Also professors are always available if you need some extra help. We also have peer tutors/ academic help centers. A few con's is that there's not much around campus within walking distance. There's a lot of things within 3 miles of school (st. johns area) but if you're walking it's not that convenient. There is public transit but the buses run about every 20-30 minutes so it's not the most convenient either. Also the party scene is not that great. Student's host parties at their homes so they don't really wanna pay for damage done or get fined for having a raging party. But every weekend there are parties you just have to know/ask the right people to get specific addresses. Other than that I love my school!

Clarissa

I think the academics are the best part of the school. The professors have a lot of experience to draw stories from or use as examples. They teach well because they enjoy receiving questions in class and can usually explain concepts in more than one way. Office hours are usually consistent and super helpful.

Melissa

First visiting there the summer before I was going to attend there, I was pretty impressed with the overall look of the campus itself. The staff there were very friendly, as well as the students giving the tour, who made me feel important, and were always welcoming my questions about anything I had about UP. The curriculum seems rigorously challenging which is what I like, the professors care about each of their students and always are available for any questions that may come up about the curriculum during their office hours. I really wanted to attend a college that had smaller class sizes in general that give me the opportunity to ask questions, also to get to know my professors better. There is also health services and health insurance that is a plus for me since I am from out of state. Compared to other colleges that I've been able to visit, University of Portland seems the most safe, which I find the most appealing about a college campus since I will be living on campus and may need to go somewhere during the nighttime. Overall, thinking about attending the University of Portland makes me really look forward to going to college in a couple of months.

Heidi

I love the student body, amazing friends. The club sports are amazing to play for! The facilities are really nice and it seems like there are always plans to improve them. The smaller class sizes makes for a good relationship with your professor because they actually know your name.

Scottie

The campus is extremely liberal. It nice to see people who share the same views as I do. It is very open, safe campus and students can express whatever views they want. Everyone is extremely friendly. The teachers want the best for the student. Overall, it is a great school.

Allegra

I love the University of Portland. It's been a really great fit for me. The class sizes are small, my largest class is about 35 students, which is great to get involved in campus and to have teachers that are always wanting to help you succeed. Everyone on campus is extremely nice and friendly too.

Sadie

Overall, UP is a wonderful school. I love the community and the closeness you have with your peers, faculty, and surroundings. However, the food is not my favorite. They often have the same weird meals every night for 1-2 weeks, and rarely listen to what the students want to eat. Sometimes it feels like UP is more about their reputation to an outsider then caring about the current students.

Allyzza May

I entered the University last semester, but it feels like I have been here forever. The community is great and there's always something to do on campus. The nursing program is amazing too! The staff really help make sure you're succeeding in every class. There's a lot of perks to being at this school but you'll have to attend to find out~

Mariah

The University of Portland is located in a great location as it sits on the bluff and overlooks the city of Portland. Transportation is easily accessible and there are many resources to explore the city. Professors are usually very helpful and there are various learning facilities to aid in learning.

Alex

The school seems to be focused on money, and building new things, but are we making enough room for students? Nursing school is pretty intimidating. It's actually the scariest thing here. Every little thing and you're threatened to be kicked out of the school. However, my second major is psychology and that is BY FAR the absolute best major here. I have never had a bad psych professor, or a mean psychology professor. They're mind-blowingly good and amazing people.

Ellessa

University of Portland is an amazing university, not only for the rigor of the academia and how involved the faculty is, but also the general care the entire campus has; students included. I feel like we are all one big family, everyone smiles at each other, goes to the soccer games to scream for the team and I have made some of my favorite memories there with our amazing campus events. I would never tell anyone University of Portland is a bad choice in college. The beauty of the campus and 10 minute commute to downtown Portland doesn't hurt either.

Natalie

I am here for my education, not the social. The school is great. The students are stuck up and snobbish. Rich, arrogant, and spoiled children.

Gillian

The University of Portland has a very beautiful campus and generally, the people who work and attend are very kind and helpful. The teachers are amazing so going to office hours is never something to be scared of. The on-campus housing definitely leaves something to be desired but most of the housing on campus is at worst dingey and needing an upgrade. UP is also located an hour out of downtown Portland give or take a few minutes, so there is a lot to do on the weekends.

Beatriz

It is an open, beautiful place for people that are looking for a well-rounded education. The students and the faculty give a sense of community and trust. It is in summary a great place to learn and grow in every aspect of our persona.

Gabriel

Its a small school close to home with good class sizes and favorable environments. The library is very small in my opinion and the food gets very boring quickly. There is usually no risk of theft, assault, or any kind of danger on campus which is why most students look happy on campus; except during midterms and finals.

Issa

I love the Univeristy of Portland. The student community is very welcoming and easy to be around. The teachers and staff are very friendly and I can tell that they truly care about the students and our futures. My favorite thing about the University of Portland is that there are a lot of familiar faces around campus at all times, since the student population is not as large as other universities. Because of this, the classroom sizes are also relatively small, which creates a better learning environment in which the instructor can pay more attention to each student. The campus food is delicious, and the school does a great job of changing up the menus with a lot of different types of foods. I have met a lot of great people at the University of Portland, and that is why it is my favorite place in the world, and has a special place in my heart.

Ella

I love this school! I transferred to UP from another school in Oregon and the difference has been extraordinary. Right from the start UP took an interest in me and my education. The quality of education they provide is amazing and my professors are intelligent and always there to help us succeed. I like that the class sizes are small and that my professors take the time to learn everyone's names and get us involved in class. All of the administration at UP push the students to do their best and challenge us to be the best we can. I am extremely happy that I transferred here and am grateful for the opportunity to attend such a great school.

Gillian

I love UP. There are so many genuinely nice people - students, staff and faculty all included. There are a ton of opportunities if you get involved for everyone. It's pretty small, but that makes it seem much more like a community. University of Portland is a great place to be.

Erica

University of Portland is an academic rigorous school with some diversity to be found on campus. However, the facilities are what you would expect from a mostly white catholic school. The class sizes are relatively small and professors are available through office hours and appointment. The staff is underpaid and a lot of money goes towards aesthetics of the campus rather than quality of student/faculty life and being able to keep tuition affordable.

Krishay

The University of Portland has an amazing Nursing program. The staff at this institution are truly on your side and care about your overall well-being, not only pertaining to academics. This university cares about each student inside and outside of the classroom. There are so many facilities that students have access to whenever they need help, no matter what the topic is. I definitely enjoy it here at UP.

The University of Portland is a tight knit, academically charged school filled with a diverse array of minds. The students are predominately white and of higher class which can be a turn off. The faculty is overall amazing, I have of course had some bad teachers, but the ones I have this semester are incredible. The nursing program is fantastic and it looks good on resumes.

jesse

Most of the staff is amazing, and classes are engaging. The student body is lacking a bit of diversity and depth. Students first coming to UP often are a tad immature. I personally struggled with the engineering program not because of the difficulty, but because of the sheer work load and I often times did not think that it was worth it to put that much time into school.

Darielle

While at first it was hard to be away from home, University of Portland became my home away from home. I am in love with the small class sizes because the students really get to be personal with the professors. I am in love with the small knit community and the strong faith based environment. Overall, the University of Portland is an amazing establishment with so many different and great programs and opportunities.

John

I am gay, Father Poorman doesn't like me. The Professors are racist and don't like anyone else except white individuals. You should be very wary about your decision to come to this school. I never feel safe here. Please remember that if still choose to go here, be aware of the sexual assaults that happen and that no action is done to reprimand those students liable.

Brandon

The location of the school is about 20 min. from the city, but the area around the school is very nice and safe. The sports culture isn't very great as the school is most well known for soccer and cross country. The size of the school is perfect as it's not a trek to get to classes or to get food. The academics are great and class sizes are about 20-40 students, which allows students to get the help and attention they need from professors. The campus is safe and the people are very friendly. Campus food is above average and facilities are above average as well.

Elle

I have only been at the University of Portland for a short time, but it already seems like a great place to be. The facilities are well-kept and very nice, and the professors are helpful and want the students to succeed. There are many resources available to help students with anything they might need, and the university places great emphasis on informing the students of said resources.

Chase

If you're attending University to learn how to do a job, only attend the University of Portland if you're going to be an Engineer, CS major, or Nurse. Otherwise you'll be out a lot of money for an inferior education. However, if you're attending University to develop socially, culturally, and morally, University of Portland is probably the best school out there. Campus culture is thriving, with organization and club participation at an all-time high. As a liberal-arts University, there's a great supply of extra-curricular opportunities including many elective classes. Just beware, the University Core classes (Philosophy, Theology, English, and the like) will take up a lot of your course load if you're not coming in with transfer credits.

Isabelle

I like the school a lot so far, but I’ve only been here a short time. All of my professors are very down to earth and always willing to help students who need it. Honestly the two biggest issues I have are the food selection and the fact that we have to pay to do outlet laundry.

Mackenzie

I really like it here! There is a perfect balance between academics, social life, and sports and such. For the most part, the professors are great and very open to working with you. The campus is small enough in which there is definitely a community feel to it, but large enough in that everything is not right next to each other.

Nathan

Frankly, there are zero reasons to attend if you're not under full-ride scholarship. The school does not have a significant reputation like other private universities like Gonzaga. Given the small size and the naming similarity to Portland State University, few people outside of locals know of the university. It is often mistaken for PSU which is hardly recognized as being anything better than a rioting mob where people go when they can't get into decent colleges like OSU or U of O. Being honest, the campus life consists nearly exclusively of homework on weekdays and binge drinking on weekends with the occasional men's soccer game. The classes and faculty are excellent but in the end, unless you're specifically needing to take an advanced test such as the MCAT, the relative class rigor is merely damaging GPA's. Without a repuation though, a degree is just a degree. The facilities vary in their quality. Some dorms such as Villa (my previous dorm) resemble a prison. The walls are just painted cinderblocks and some of the doors (mine included) had some small holes in them. Other facilities such as the new Dundon-Berchtold Hall have marble bathrooms. The gym is nice but small and the food is just okay. It's organic and locally sourced but exorbitantly priced (plain chicken breasts are $6 a pound and milk is $12 a gallon). Overall, the campus is best described as highly liberal and outgoing. Many attendees are extremely well off and able to afford the $64k total yearly bull. There are even some with luxury BMW i8's, Tesla Model S's, and Porshe's. Within my entering class of 2017, only 9% of those that applied were accepted and chose to attend and the average SAT score was around the 87th percentile. Though in normal life everybody acts the exact same as in a normal state school like OSU. There is also a large ROTC population on campus with around 1 in every 45 students in uniform on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There isn't open hostility to them but overall the campus is not hugely receptive to the military. Overall, if you can come here cheap then you'll get a decent education but if not you'll be nearly a quarter-million in debt from a school that everyone mistakes for PSU.

Caroline

University of Portland is a great college! I love the community feel, availability of resources, different ways to get involved, and the many opportunities the college has to offer! I also like the small class sizes because you feel like your voice can be heard, as well as it gives you a chance for your professor to get to know you better and for you to come in for help if you need it.

Rosie

I love it here. So many clubs to joint and the nursing curriculum is like no other. I really enjoy the shorter walks to class as it means I can put more into my day. Professors are always available to help, or just to talk. They really care about you!

I think this school has something for everyone. If you love sports, we have D1 teams and some people go to all of the games. If that isn't your thing there are tons of clubs ranging from a community garden club to a rock climbing club. Our outdoor pursuits program consistently will organize cheap weekend trips so you can get off of campus and go hiking or skiing during the winter. The class sizes are small so you really get to know your professors and the other students. Overall, I think this school is great and I'm so glad I get to go here.

Jordan

Great Academics. Great Professors. Small Class Sizes. Safe and Friendly Campus. University of Portland has everything a college should have. If you are going to college to party all day and all night, this is not the school for you. University of Portland is for highly motivated and goal-driven students who want to get an excellent education. We have 3 on-campus "restaurants" if you can call them that, plus an on-campus market. All of the campus facilities are clean and look new. The campus is beautiful. You are bound to have the same people in the majority of your classes since we have a small student population and everyone is very friendly. Our sports teams need help. Our soccer teams are pretty good, so if you love soccer, you will be happy here. If you prefer basketball or football, we don't have a football team and our basketball team really shouldn't exist either. That being said, if you are coming to college to learn you will love it here!