University of Richmond, VA
University of Richmond

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Richmond

Lexi

It is a great school academically, especially its business school. Also, the campus itself is very beautiful.

The opportunities that they provide for their students, such as speakers brought oncampus, internship opportunities, and the great encouragement to study abroad at some point of one's education there.

Visit as many schools as you can to get a feel for what you want for your college experience. After visiting a few colleges I realized that I needed to be at a larger school than I originally planned on to be happy with my college experience. Also, realize that you will never be 100% happy about everything about your college experience, be open to changes and prepared for some disappoints anywhere you go, that's part of life. Finally, just make the best of your college years and enjoy!

Cameron

Way too small. Your stuck on campus, and every weekend you will do the same thing with the same people. It gets very old and boring fast. The week is brutal. In order to have any semblance of a good GPA, you will have to be in the library for hours at a time, daily.

Really rich kids from Long Island. These kids never drank a beer until they got into college so they think the little apartment parties are the greatest things ever. Its also really preppy so you will see people wearing some of the most absurd shit to class.

Go to a state school and enjoy yourself while your young. Turn back now. People say that you will get a better job after graduating richmond, but that is completley false. Its all about who you know rather than what you know, so the schools with the bigger alumni's have just as good of a reputation.

Impossible. Their upssesed with their reputation so they limit the number of A's given out, so even if you work really hard, you still might end up with a mediocre grade. The workload is also rediculous.

Extremely rich. Rediculously preppy.

The first thing that comes to mind about UR is that is it a small, private school. I think there are only around 3,000 undergraduates. For me, personally, that was one of the reasons I chose UR; I love the smaller size. I love the familiarity of the campus, and how you're always guaranteed to see friendly faces you know wherever you go. And it isn't TOO small; after all it is not like a high school. UR is also a very academically challenging school, and is also very very selective in choosing people to attend. Therefore one thing one immediately knows about all the students is, whether they are athletes, musicians, or huge partyers, everyone is really smart and knows the importance of working hard to succeed. The classes are difficult, especially since they are taught by very knowledgable teachers ( I have yet to have one without a doctorate degree). However people quickly learn that if you work hard, of course you can play hard too! There's tons of school pride, and I really love the school. Another nice thing is that UR is only about 10 minutes away from downtown Richmond, so although it has that small-town secluded campus feel, it certainly isn't in the middle of nowhere.

From first glance, it certainly may seem that there are a lot of "white preppy kids" going to UR. ANd sure, a lot of people do come into the school coming from places with a lot of money. However, once you get on campus, you realize that just because someone is wearing a J.Crew sweater does not tell anything about that person as an individual. It is true that UR does not boast the highest percentage of people from other ethnicities or many social groups, but there does NOT exist any type of exclusion to those people. I myself am asian, but have NEVER felt any sort of animosity or exclusion because of that. People here are very laid back and do not try to find any reason to separate themselves from others. Perhaps the only people that would feel out of place at Richmond would be kids that are not pretty confident in themselves or kids that might possibly be offended by such things as parties or what not.

A sizeable portion of the students attending do come from very economically comfortable families and areas. And, because it is a smaller school, the majority of the kids do happen to be caucasian. However the stereotope of being snobby or exclusive is completely untrue, and in fact there is a welcoming atmosphere to the more diversity on campus (diversity in every sense, not just cultural). Therefore, the stereotypes are not accurate, as one will soon find when attending the school, as the vast majority of students are very openminded and extremely friendly.

One of the things I LOVE at UR is the small class size. When I was first applying to colleges in high school and I visited other colleges, the thought of having classes with 400 people absolutely terrified me. But last year, during my freshman year at UR, my biggest class had 30 people! I think this is great because 1) there can be more bonding and meeting the other classmates 2) the teachers ALWAYS will know your names and you as a person and 3) it is much easier to participate in discussions and get help in a smaller class. Like I mentioned before, the classes are difficult and no one should come into UR not expecting to study A LOT (even if you didn't need to that much in high school). Students are indeed academically competitive, but in a healthy manner, and there are often study groups and such that are organized among people. Also, UR really stresses that its kids receive a liberal arts education, so it is also stressed that, besides just being prepared for a future career, the kids also receive instructions on how to become a well balanced person that can succeed at life as a whole.

The typical Richmond week schedule is this: from Sunday to Thursday it is extreme school mode. The library is always packed until any hours of the morning, as well as the science center. Kids spend most of the time working hard on getting assignments and things outof the way. Then Thursday night until Sunday is pretty much considered the weekend! (unless you have a lot of Friday classes, which many don't, then your weekend will probably start on Friday night). People here pretty much abide by working really hard, and then playing really hard. It really is a good system! People that live on the same dorm floor or close to each other lots of time end up becoming really good friends. That is how I met my best friends (actually one of them was my roommate). Greek life is pretty big on campus, consuming about 35% of the males and 50% of the females. HOWEVER, I think it's really really important to note that Greek life at UR is notably different than it is at different schools. For one, none of the sororities or frats live together in housing just for them, so right there there is a much decreased level or exclusiveness. In fact, in all the events and activities that the greek organizations organize, EVERYONE from the campus is always encouraged to participate. And there is no real rivalty among sororities. I myself am a member of Pi Beta Phi, and my best friends are in Delta Gamma and Tri Delta. I often am thankful at the system at UR, and cringe when I see shows on TV like "Greek" that give sororities (especially at my school) such a bad reputation. Just believe me that it really is different here, and that the people in Greek life are all hardworking studious people. On weekends, I must admit that there ARE many activities that involve drinking. There are frat lodges, appartment parties, and small gettogethers in dorms, and yes there is often drinking at these places. HOWEVER, although the alcohol is there, the point of these events and why most people go to them is NOT necessarily connected with alcohol. People simply go to hang out with others and have a good time or dance. And many people do not drink, and that is perfectly acceptable and they are never pressured. once again, the people here are really laid back and there is not textbook situations arising where people feel pressured to drink. A good alternative is to go to the Commons building (in the middle of campus) every Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, where they are big showings of new movies that come out. These usually start around 9 pm, and are really popular with everyone. I personally have had so many fun nights just snacking and watching the movies with my group of friends. Off campus there are also a lot of fun things to do. Since we are so close to Richmond, there are always TONS of restaurants, cafes, malls, and places to go during free time or weekends. And if your'e out on a weekend at night, there are nice nightclubs (18 and over) to go to near VCU (10 minutes away).

There is a stereotype that most of UR's population consists of rich snobby white kids.

Misha

I think the most pertinent question any student applying to college should ask is, "How does the administration treat it's students? What privileges are students afforded and what is taken away?" Richmond's administration has created an undeniably nice living environment in the form of a beautiful campus, spacious dorms, good facilities and a new gym. However, they seem to know we have it very nice and feel entitled to tweaking it however they like these days. A case in point is the university commons building, called the Pier. It houses student activities, student government, the on campus bar&grill, etc. From what I understand it used to have ping pong tables in it as well. In recent days the administration has been transforming the place. They are making way for a new Career Development Center office at the expense of student government space. The office of Common Grounds, the community service office, is located in the THC. The room that used to have ping pong tables in it is now simply a study lounge seldom utilized by students anymore. The administration is "improving" the commons willy nilly to suit its own agenda. So it is also with fraternities at Richmond. The Greek system enjoys dominance over the majority of the social scene at Richmond, with over 30% of men and near 50% of women participating. This system, which the administration considers very risky in terms of liability, comes with certain conditions. One of the biggest myths propogated by the school in tour groups is that the fraternities are not on campus. Yet, they own all our land and most of the lodges (which are a joke in and of themselves - they are literally just a place to party and have frat meetings, no residence allowed) are all leased to the fraternities. The administration holds this over our heads to get their way with the fraternities, i.e. limit their activities. That said, we do enjoy an enormously privileged life. Q school for the business students is a great example, a free event just before the start of the school year where the school puts you up in a hotel and teaches you business skills for a few days. And anybody can come to Richmond thanks to the school's guarantee to meet 100% of demonstrated financial need.

Yes but we work hard for our playtime.

Richmond affords its students a great education, there is no doubt about that. Every class and every teacher are held to a very high standard, and as a result so are the students. There is a lot of work outside of the classroom that goes along with that, and as society continues to push its college applicants towards resume packing and overachieving, we college students are also just as sensitive to that pressure. Many Richmond students have a habit of overcommiting their schedules. I tend to study at least 3-5 hours a night. Professors know a great deal of their students names. Class participation is not common, to the point of awkwardness at times. When I first got to Richmond, this dismayed me when I tried to get students to talk to me directly instead of through the teacher, who will in that case act as a proxy for relaying different sides to the question. Once you get to the upper class levels though this problem is sometimes remedied by the more exceptional teachers. Business is universally a difficult subject that requires busy work, but Richmond perhaps offers more than most. A Richmond education in Business is extremely geared towards getting a job, and the whole campus does not lose focus with this goal either.

We are extremely preppy, fratty, etc.

Toby

URichmond also has a lot of great FREE resources such as academic skill center (free tutoring), Center for Civic Engagement, Career Development Center, and much more. Our university also has numerous of opportunities to obtain a leadership position whether as a teaching assistant or officer in an extracurricular organization. Since I am a chemistry major, I am required to perform a certain amount of research. Undergraduate student are actually performing hands on hardcore research. Some school only let graduate student research while undergraduate student merely observe. By the way, there are no graduate student teaching any classes, only professors. Dorms are bigger than huge schools such as Pennsylvania State. Biggest controversy: Switching our point system from credits to units to imitate ivy league schools without consulting students' opinions. I hope the system doesn't screw our science majors over, since an organic chemistry class with lab is worth the same amount of units as a Basic of Acting class.

The typical Richmond student is primarily white (I am Vietnamese American). There are not a lot of minorities here at the school, although we are desperately trying to bring awareness of everyone's culture to the university. Hopefully, it's working. We have a lot of ethnic-based organizations such Asian Beats, Black Student Alliance, International Club, Spanish and Latino Student Alliance, Multicultural Student Union, South Asian Student Alliance, and more. Most URichmond students are from north eastern parts of the US. Some are from North Carolina but there are several students from all over the country and world.

Sometime the RICHMOND BUBBLE is quite suffocating.

The stereotype that everyone is rich and snobby is definitely inaccurate. Because we are a private school, there is bound to be rich and preppy people who are able to pay the ridiculous high tuition (although URichmond offers a lot of grants and scholarship). Not all "rich" students are not snobby but they may be ignorance or a bit close-minded. Of course, there are many great people at Richmond who are fun and quirky (like me!). Many are also brilliantly smart. Yes, some people dress up for classes and football games (sundresses and collared shirts, not me though).

The undergraduate body of URichmond is approximately under 3,000 student so one can get really close to a professor and ask questions in class (or out of class) without feeling intimated by the large class size. Most professors are GREAT and are more than willing to help you succeed, as long as you make the effort. My favorite subject was actually Organic Chemistry (shocking right?) because I had such a great professor who pushes and works with you.

About 50% of our student body joins a sorority or fraternity.

Everybody is rich and snobby. URichmond is a southern school so everyone dresses up to classes, football games, etc.

Kelly

If I could change anything about Richmond it would be to have a more involved campus and more activities on campus during the weekends. I really wish that students showed more school spirit or went to the events that are brought to campus. Also, I feel like the school clears out on weekends and there really is not a whole lot to do during the day if you stay on campus. Most weekends, because I didn't have a car, I was really bored during the day because I felt like there was nothing offered to do on campus. However I love the small size of Richmond's campus and the variety of things to get involved in despite the samll size. The administration to my knowledge, is really involved in what goes on on the campus which is attributed to the small size of our student body. When I tell people I go to Richmond back home, no one really knows anything about the school and they think I go to UVa. Anyone who has heard of the school though always comments on the beatiful campus immediately (which was actually one of the deciding factors for me as I tried to pick the right school for me) and the challening academic schedule. I've heard Richmond referred to as one of the "Ivies of the South"

Recently there have been a lot of prejudices on campus which is a result I think of the lack of diversity on campus. However, I also have found that students and the administration are doing a really good job of changing this and becoming a more unified campus. I went to several events last semester like "The Meeting" and the open forum on racism which I found very enligtening and I thought a fair number of students attended these which was good. Most students "dress up" for class unless you are an athlete, at least that is what it seems to be from my perspective. I feel slightly uncomfortable if I dress down in sweatpants and a T-shirt when going to class because everyone else usually looks nice.

I think the stereotypes are fairly accurate, however there are always exceptions. While I think a large majority of students are very preppy and wealthy, there are certainly people who do not fit a stereotypical mold.

One of the best things about Richmond is that you really can get to know the professors. I had several professors for my Chemistry classes that I got to know fairly well just because they were so readily available for help whenever I needed it (which was a lot). My least favorite class was probably the Cell and Molecular Biology class just because it was pretty hard for me with the way my professor graded and I didn't ever see how lab was all that helpful for the class though I liked the lab portion a lot more then class. My favorite class so far was either my intro Chem class solely because of my professor or Music Scenes which I found to be a lot of fun and opened my eyes to a lot of the music brought to campus. I have found in my sciences classes that while some people are fairly competitive and will refuse to help you if it benefits them, most of the time students are more than willing to help through study groups or just explaining a concept that I didn't understand. I was surprised at the willingness of some students to go out of their way for others.

I wish that social life with regard to on campus events was more prevelent. While a lot of people go to the homecoming Football game, generally sporting events are poorly attended. They are making an effort to try and change this by "luring" kids to games (through preyground points and free food as well as a lot of advertising) but I still feel like a we could have more school spirit. Same goes for guest speakers, etc... I wish that more people attended these things, however I don't always take advantage of them myself. Students generally leave doors open in my experience which makes it easier to just go and try and get to know your neighbors which is really important in meeting people at first. I personally don't think frats/sororities are incredibly important on campus because I know a lot of people who aren't in them. I am in a sorority which for me was very important because I have a harder time meeting people and it definitely just threw me in to a whole group to get to know. Also, sororities and fraternities put on a lot of events (not just lodge parties) that give me something else to do during the week.

Richmond I think is stereotyped as a school with a lot of wealthy/preppy students. Richmond is also stereotyped as a school with not a lot of school spirit.

Cameron

The bes thing about Richmond is how small everything is. It's a lot easier to make connections with people when you constantly see them, rather than at a bigger state school where you're just a number. The biggest problem with Richmond is Alison Bartel Keller--she exists to crush dreams and ruin fun: picture a middle-aged, female Idi Amin without the cool military garb.

Most Richmond students seem like fairly well-off white kids. Expect to see a good deal of Abercrombie and J. Crew. Most girls own pearls, sundresses, and those horrible leggings. Guys wear polos--in this regard, I'm as guilty as the next guy.

Go to Richmond. It's a beautiful campus, you'll get a great education, and the students know how to have a good time.

Professors are good about getting to know you and being available outside of class.

Fraternities make up a big part of the social scene, with other greek organizations (sororities, FIJI, etc.) and clubs (A Cappella, club sports, etc.) making up the rest.

The biggest stereotype about Richmond students is that they are wealthy white kids from New England, New Jersey, and New York.

Maggie

The best thing about Richmond is that you feel safe. You're nestled in a suburb so you don't have to worry about city traffic or a lot of crime. Then again, this aspect is also Richmond's downfall. You are so secluded, it's almost as if you're stuck on the campus. Since the majority of students do not own cars on campus (even though you're allowed to bring one no matter what year you are) University of Richmond is often called "The Richmond Bubble" to current students. It is very hard to get off campus, so this small school becomes your world. Carytown, the little village of shops and restaurants, is nearby, and the school also has a shuttle that runs for students from the University to carytown, ukrops, or short pump (the mall area)--but they also fail to disclose the details it only runs during specific, small frames of time and the shuttle itself only seats twelve people.

I felt out of place at Richmond. I was often looked down upon because I couldn't dress myself in expensive name brands or didnt go out to get wasted every weekend. Cliques are common, and most students are from the North--New Jersey (especially), Connecticut, New York, and Massachusetts, just to name a few states. Richmond is just beginning to get the idea of what "activism" really is. Most of the clubs and organizations are all talk and no show. I think the most of what we do for a cause is raise money (surprise surprise)

I can sincerely say I didn't really enjoy my first year at Richmond. It just isn't the place for me--not accepting, open, or diverse enough--but I do know many people that are perfectly happy there, and have a great deal of fun. It all depends on what you are looking for and how well adjusted of a person you are. If you don't have any idea who you are or are not strong enough to maintain your individuality in a majority of people who have the same background and priorities, Richmond is not the place for you, because you can be assured if you are different, it will be a challenge to find friends. I also suggest visiting before making a final decision on your University. I know a lot of people visit Richmond and are in awe over how beautiful the campus is (which, we do have a gorgeous campus) but make sure you scratch that superficial of a surface. Ask different students what they think, pay attention to behaviors of people, notice details, etc.

To be quite honest, it's mostly true. A lot of the students here, like me, are here on a scholarship--but if you aren't able to keep up the pretense that you have a lot of money, expect to be ostracized and miss out on a lot of off-campus social get-togethers. The surrounding area, Carytown, is full of really neat places to shop and eat: but only if you are pulling in some serious cash. There is also a lack of diversity on the Richmond campus--whether that diversity is socio-economic, racial, or religious, there is a lack of it here. Most of the students here are white, very well off, and christian. (The campus tries to give off the impression it's accepting to all cultures and religions, but the pretense is constantly being unshrouded with a huge christmas tree in the dining hall in December, or the fact that a lot you never see the international students mingling with any students native to the US)

The classes are fairly challenging. No matter what subject or class you take, prepare not to get much sleep and spent a lot of time sitting in the library. Students here are from the top of their class, so one can also come to expect a fair amount of competition--only because everyone here is an overachiever and wants to excel at everything they do. Also, if you are a fan of skipping class, Richmond should not be your top pick in colleges. Since the classes are so small, expect the professor to know your name--and also notice if you arent there. Class participation is a must. Group discussions are common so your opinion matters--and therefore your voice is required to be heard. I know a lot of students that have a very close and good relationship with their professors outside of class. It's not uncommon to see students and their teachers eating lunch together or office visits by students just for a chat. Academically, Richmond is very challenging. I know several people who sometimes spend the night in the library, and I myself am no exception. Most of the University is business oriented (Robins School of Business) so I would say Richmond is mostly geared toward preparing you for the workforce.

Sports takes a backseat at Richmond, although we do have a fairly talented basketball and football team. Most people (the girls at least) leave their doors open or unlocked in the dorms. It is also not uncommon to see people leave their things out in the library--books, papers, bookbags, phones, and laptop computers. Everybody is fairly trusting and stealing is not very prevelant--mainly because people have enough already, there's no need to steal anything from anyone else. On the weekdays, one can expect a small trickle of drunk people coming back to the dorms around 1 or 2 in the morning. This increases significantly come Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. So therefore, if you don't drink--prepare not to have a social life. 90% or more of girls rush for a sorority. You may be getting a biased view because I did not rush myself, but in all honesty sororities and fraternities rule the social scene. You are labeled by what you are: a delta gamma, kappa alpha theta, etc. Hierarchies in greek life definitely exist, and are well known.

There is the predominant stereotype that everyone here is rich, preppy, and snobby.

Academics are very challenging. There is A LOT of work. It gets pretty stressful at times. Classes are small and professors know your name which is nice. Education is very geared toward getting a job for the most part.

Sororities and fraternities are a major part of the social scene at Richmond.

That everyone is preppy and rich

University of Richmond administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.